U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM

569 posts, read 1,633,699 times

Advertisements

So I know to register your car in VA you need to get a "safety inspection" so I'm just looking for some details on this. First of all, do I need this in addition to an emissions test?
Second, what exactly does the safety check look into?
Third, where exactly can you get them (any place that does stuff like oil changes? or someplace specific?) and approx. how much do they run?
Thanks guys!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM

3,985 posts, read 6,589,988 times
There are two inspections, safety and emissions. Emissions is the one you must submit to register the car. The safety inspection is a sticker on the windshield that the police look for.

Inspection stations usually do both the safety and emissions inspections.....gas stations, garages, dealers operate them.

The safety inspection handbook is thick, but basically they check lights, brakes, tires, suspension, exhaust, glass, etc.

Safety inspection is $16 (done annually), emissions is $28 (good for 2 years).

Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,633,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There are two inspections, safety and emissions. Emissions is the one you must submit to register the car. The safety inspection is a sticker on the windshield that the police look for.

Inspection stations usually do both the safety and emissions inspections.....gas stations, garages, dealers operate them.

The safety inspection handbook is thick, but basically they check lights, brakes, tires, suspension, exhaust, glass, etc.

Safety inspection is $16 (done annually), emissions is $28 (good for 2 years).
Can you just get the safety inspection done? I don't need an emissions test b/c I'm coming from a state that also requires emissions tests, and mine are still valid. But thanks for clarifying

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM

1,230 posts, read 4,226,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
Can you just get the safety inspection done? I don't need an emissions test b/c I'm coming from a state that also requires emissions tests, and mine are still valid. But thanks for clarifying
Yes, you can. That was our case when we moved here from Seattle.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM

628 posts, read 1,131,988 times
To add to others' comments: All official state inspection stations will have prominent signs indicating that activity. If you fail any aspect of the inspection, you have 7 days (my best recollection) to have the repair done anywhere you choose, including by yourself. Avoid Saturdays at the end of a month, because the inspection line will be long. The best times are early in the morning, mid-week, and mid-month. Also, do not forget to register your auto with the county (can be done online).

Old 05-27-2009, 10:20 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,828,440 times
I believe it is actually 2 weeks to rectify the problem that caused your car to fail the inspection. Some stations/techs are more rigorous in their inspections also so keep that in mind.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM

3,985 posts, read 6,589,988 times
One common misconception is that it is legal to operate a car with a Rejection sticker for X number of days.........FALSE!

It is only legal to drive the car to where it will be repaired, and that's it.

The period of days is to have the car re-inspected (after repairs) without paying the inspection fee again.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 63,303 times
Is 'rear view mirror' requrie for safety inspection? My mirror fall down. I tried super glue, but it is not working. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,828,440 times
Check pepboys or autozone. They sell kits to mount rear view mirros

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM

261 posts, read 854,493 times
This is what they do

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

(Note # 10 - mirror)

P.S. If you're coming from out of state your emissions report will be good for one year, so if you don't want to get into a real hassle, just register the car for one year. I did this in August (car coming from PA) and we went through all the paperwork and paid, at which point the system refused to process the registration because the emissions test (1 year) didn't match the registration period (2 years). They sorted it out but it was time consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia