U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 07:19 PM

39 posts, read 38,544 times

Advertisements

DH will be working in Quantico
300,000 to 400,000 is our range
we'd like to minimize the commute as much as possible while not being too much in the traffic sprawl we have heard so much about.......i also like to be near some shopping......i hate having to drive far to go to the grocery........thanks
he might take the VRE so any good neighborhoods not from from the fred. or leeland station?
also any neighborhoods to stay away from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 AM

738 posts, read 3,565,472 times
Check out Aquia Harbour in Northern Stafford. I'm not an expert on the development, but I have heard from a few people that it is a very nice area, and I did a quick web search and found a few nice homes in your price range. From there it would be a short commute to Quantico. If you're looking at a map, it's at the eastern end of Garrisonville Road. (Right off rt. 1 and like 300 feet from I-95)

Other than that, you'll have to be even more percise about what you'd like... Fredericksburg/spotsy/stafford are about 750 square miles total (estimating), with a total population of around 275k people. It's a big area, with a LOT of nice and a few bad areas... it would take me forever to try to list them all.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
Check out Aquia Harbour in Northern Stafford. I'm not an expert on the development, but I have heard from a few people that it is a very nice area, and I did a quick web search and found a few nice homes in your price range. From there it would be a short commute to Quantico. If you're looking at a map, it's at the eastern end of Garrisonville Road. (Right off rt. 1 and like 300 feet from I-95)

Other than that, you'll have to be even more percise about what you'd like... Fredericksburg/spotsy/stafford are about 750 square miles total (estimating), with a total population of around 275k people. It's a big area, with a LOT of nice and a few bad areas... it would take me forever to try to list them all.
thanks
i realized i didn't really narrow much down in my first post i'm a little overwhelmed with all the housing options

DH thinks he wants some country land, like 4-5 acres so he's thinkg outside fredericksburg or chancellorsville

any input on that? how long would it be to drive to quantico from there?
thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinFL View Post
DH thinks he wants some country land, like 4-5 acres so he's thinkg outside fredericksburg or chancellorsville

any input on that? how long would it be to drive to quantico from there?
thanks
You'd be looking at a 45 minute drive into Quantico in the morning, and anywhere from 1 hour to an hour and a half heading home. (Assuming he goes into work around 9 am and leaves around 5) He could avoid a lot of the traffic by beating the Northern VA croud and leaving for work early, and beating the evening rush hour.

As far as living out that way, Rt. 3 is a mess until you get to Andora Drive. They are currently working on widening the road from 4 to 6 lanes where Harrison Rd. hits Rt. 3, so once that's done, it will help a little, but it'll always be a mess between the mall (Spotsylvania Town Center) and Central Park (all the big-box stores)

And as for your price range in that area... you may be able to find something down River Road, or Ely's Ford road. Check those out... it's your best bet to find acreage semi-close to town. (Also, River Road makes a very good alternative to taking Rt. 3 home in the evening)

Old 04-10-2007, 08:26 PM

thanks for the quick response
would being closer to exit 126 or 118 on i95 be better than going towards chancellorsville then?

Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavinFL View Post
thanks for the quick response
would being closer to exit 126 or 118 on i95 be better than going towards chancellorsville then?
Exit 126 itself is a mess... it's got probably twice the traffic it's designed for, and the off ramp backs up into the highway during evening rush-hour. I would suggest maybe looking around the Massaponax Church area (near where massaponax church hits Rt. 1) This is because they are in the planning stages of adding a LOT to that area (A new I-95 interchange, maybe a new VRE [that would stop at Quantico], new shopping, and all that good stuff). If you get in there now, in 3 years your property will be worth probably twice what it's worth now... and right now you should be able to find some land at a fairly good rate. And note that all this development is going in EAST of I-95, between where Massaponax Church road hits 95, and where it hits Rt. 17.

Now, I live off of Exit 110, in Caroline. From here to Rt. 3, it's only a 20 minute drive... so it's not as far away as it seems. There are some awsome homes here that are right in your price range... but you wouldn't get land. Check it out though, you might like it. I'm in Ladysmith Village. Just take I-95 to the Ladysmith Exit (110) go right, go to the traffic light at Rt. 1 and make a right, go like 1/4 of a mile and it's on your left. (pretty big sign) It's a town style development, with a library already built, YMCA going in next year, and parks/community center/walking trails, and all that stuff going in next year as well. There are 5-7 builders, with a lot of models available.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,771 times
Default Avoid stafford like the plague!!

They are stupid, the workers at the utilities and taxes are stupid! You ask them to cut things off and they are elderly and dont do it and then you end up with a freakin warrant on your door for a freakin bill that should have been cut off a long time ago!!!!!!!

Plus taxes are ridiculously high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or