U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,771 times

Advertisements

Getting ready for a move to Northern VA from the 'burbs of Boston West. Curious if anyone can compare the towns for me from here to there, so I'd have an idea of what each one is like? Like is Newton to Oakton,etc.? Also, any other feedback on what to expect from here to there would be great. Have two young kids, one in elementary- so that's our first concern. Husband in high tech, so job will be located between Arlington/Mclean/Reston (still unsure of which office). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:56 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebean View Post
Getting ready for a move to Northern VA from the 'burbs of Boston West. Curious if anyone can compare the towns for me from here to there, so I'd have an idea of what each one is like? Like is Newton to Oakton,etc.? Also, any other feedback on what to expect from here to there would be great. Have two young kids, one in elementary- so that's our first concern. Husband in high tech, so job will be located between Arlington/Mclean/Reston (still unsure of which office). Thanks!
There was another CD poster recently named "Camer" who was looking to move from the Boston to DC area and could probably provide you with good information if you sent her a PM. I think they ended up focusing on Oakton - because they liked it, not because it necessarily struck them as similar to any specific Boston area town or suburb.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM

66 posts, read 176,431 times
I've lived in both the Boston suburbs and the DC suburbs. Newton is a bit more urban than Oakton. The city is much more accessible from Newton. Oakton is very suburban, most houses have some land, but you can take the Metro to DC. In terms of schools, both have pretty good schools. IMO, the schools in Newton might have a little better reputation. Newton is probably more like Arlington.

I definitely miss Boston. Even when we were in the suburbs, we went into Boston much more than we would go into DC. Boston had more distinct neighborhoods. Little Italy, Chinatown, etc. The Chinatown in DC is negligible, don't know of any little Italy, except in Baltimore.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac10 View Post
Newton is probably more like Arlington.
I agree with this. Brookline Village is more like Old Town Alexandria.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:29 PM

446 posts, read 1,486,470 times
I think Arlington could really fit your needs if you are looking to match the close-in suburbs of Boston like Newton, Brookline and Cambridge. I have not personally been to Newton, but Brookline and Cambridge felt very much like Arlington to me. North Arlington has great public schools. Vienna/Oakton also have good ones.

As far as other differences, I think you will find the winter better down here. Still way too cold for me, but many northerners think this winter is nothing. I think the consensus us sun-lovers and the snow-lovers can agree on is that you "feel the season of winter" living in Northern Virginia.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM

147 posts, read 367,532 times
I'd say Arlington is like Cambridge a bit (depending on what part of Arlington is being compared to what part of Cambridge). I lived by Inman Square and I'd say some of the neighborhoods in North Arlington along Washington Blvd are kind of like that. Some of the richer areas of Cambridge are more like farther north in Arlington and into McLean. In town, Back Bay has some things in common with Back Bay and maybe DuPont Circle, but DC isn't really as walkable as Boston. I could walk from Fenway to home in Cambridge in an hour or so. No chance of something like that in DC, not the least of which because I wouldn't want to walk through certain parts of DC.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 PM

385 posts, read 1,108,560 times
I thought Berkeley was similar to North Arlington. I think you will see much less of an Italian and Irish presence, compared with even Baltimore, and much less than Boston. St. Patrick's Day is probably out done by Halloween, and even Cinco De Mayo.

I don't think you will see the vigilantism in the DC neighborhoods, that you might in some of the nicer Boston neighborhoods. DC is more transient and newer. Your Boston accent will probably stand out in DC, who cares.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 AM

722 posts, read 1,752,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMac View Post
I think Arlington could really fit your needs if you are looking to match the close-in suburbs of Boston like Newton, Brookline and Cambridge.
I second this. North Arlington is where you want to focus for good schools (some people suggest just focusing on the odd-numbered zip codes in Arlington). Also the area near the East Falls Church metro station, which is on the border of Arlington and Fairfax counties.

Oakton is nice, but it is a little further out and "suburby", both in distance and in design. Northern Virginia, and the DC area in general, is so much more spread out than Boston that it is hard to match that "walk to everything" feel that Boston has, even way out in Newton. But Arlington is close. Parts of Alexandria, too, but the schools aren't as good there.

Boston is my favorite city in the world, but I'm really happy in Northern Virginia, too. It's a pretty easy move to make, culturally.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:22 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,315,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Boston is my favorite city in the world, but I'm really happy in Northern Virginia, too. It's a pretty easy move to make, culturally.
Yes, as Red Sox Nation will be taking over Nationals Stadium when the BoSox play the Nats next month.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:35 AM

147 posts, read 367,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
In town, Back Bay has some things in common with Back Bay and maybe DuPont Circle...
I meant Capitol Hill. Oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia