U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:30 PM

23,562 posts, read 33,282,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Thank you! During the day, you say? Is there a vivid nightlife scene in Old Town that I should return to photograph?

In the words of James Evans from Good Times; "Yes Lord!"

It is really active especially on Friday nights. Parking will be challenge though. The last time me and my friends went down there it took a half hour to find parking. The next time we go down there, i'll suggest parking at my building which is conviently located next to the AT8 bus line which takes us directly to old town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,206,001 times
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is just something about historic rowhouses that send me into architectural orgasm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no clue what it is but I love them...I actually chose my college based on its proximity to some historic rowhouses (I go to VCU which is right next to The Fan District and Monument Ave in Richmond). I know thats not a reason to choose a college....sue me!

Anyway..thanks for the photo tour! I loved it.

What i can really appreciate about this neighborhood/area/district is that even the newer construction appears to be of such high quality that it almost seamlessly flows into the existing architecture. You can clearly tell the new from the old (for the most part) but the new doesn't stand out like a sore thumb as it new construction often does in historic districts.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 PM

63 posts, read 155,253 times
I have the same reaction to historic row houses. We would drive all over Old Town at night, slowing down to look in windows (creepy, I know) just to get a glimpse of paint colors, woodwork etc. to try to incorporate into our suburban colonial.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janie01 View Post
I have the same reaction to historic row houses. We would drive all over Old Town at night, slowing down to look in windows (creepy, I know) just to get a glimpse of paint colors, woodwork etc. to try to incorporate into our suburban colonial.
You didn't see anything...errrmm..."interesting" inside those windows, did you Janie?! HAHA!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:07 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,860,588 times
Hey Scran, you may have walked by my birthplace....at the corner of Duke and Washington Streets. That was the site of the old Alexandria Hospital (building long gone). I was born there because there were NO hospitals operating in Fairfax County in 1951!

Anyway, Old Town is a marvel of "gentrification". When I was a kid in the 50's and 60's, Alexandria (nobody called it Old Town back then) was a place to stay away from, especially at night. It was basically a slum. Lots of industrial buildings down by the river....and many of those pretty townhouses you saw were dilapidated hovels. One of those industrial buildings was a commercial bakery that was leveled by a massive explosion one night....apparently flour is explosive! I remember hearing folks talking about that incident.

Your shot of the pleasure boats moored was once the site of a Ford Motor Company factory....I don't think they built cars there, just components, but that gives you an idea of what kind of area it was. And yes, The Torpedo Factory was really a torpedo factory

After the turnaround started, my father always regretted not buying up a few blocks of the new "Old Town". Those townhouses could be had for a pittance in the 40's....less than 10 grand in most cases.

I used to laugh when I drove by the wooden townhouses as they were being renovated in the early 70's...they basically tore them down! But, apparently if a few of the original boards were reused, they could still call it a "historic" building and qualify for one of those bronze plaques you undoubtedly saw on many of them.

Also funny is how the swells in those townhouses today complain about the power plant on the river on the north side of town. That plant has been there FOREVER! Did they not notice it when they were house shopping? Airplane noise? National Airport was built in 1941...I guess they didn't notice that either....LOL

Last edited by car54; 05-28-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM

63 posts, read 155,253 times
ScranBarre, In all my years of peeping, never saw anything juicy. Loved your photos!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM

7,965 posts, read 18,039,589 times
Scran, great pics of my regular stomping grounds. You even inadvertently walked by a previous employer of mine. (Not saying whom.) And I agree with your Philadelphia comparison. When I first spent quality time in Old Town, it too reminded me of Old City/Society Hill.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:47 AM

219 posts, read 785,378 times
keep the pics coming! I'm moving to the area at the end of summer, so this is VERY helpful! Thanks.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 AM

30,101 posts, read 67,188,022 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I just got back in from a long run and am a soaked mess, so I'm going to shower off again and most likely head out for a bite to eat with a few friends. If the weather is still nice this afternoon (which I'm doubting since we've had some sort of measurable rainfall down here just about each of the past five days now!), then I'll do a second tour. I may also hit up the Herndon Festival tonight instead with a co-worker. In the mean time please vote in my photo tour poll and please disregard the bicker-fest that erupted about my opinions on Great Falls.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 PM

129 posts, read 240,358 times
Absolutely fantastic pictures and commentary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia