U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 PM

131 posts, read 371,374 times

Advertisements

Been looking for a townhouse or condo, started looking in herndon, mainly the area below the toll road, 20171 zip code. I've found there aren't a lot of homes on the market there right now, the prices are near the top of my price range, the market seems very competative for buyers.

I'm seeing a lot more listings for homes that meet my requirements in sterling, are more affordable and the location is not that much less convinient for me. A few of the sub divisions I'm considering are:

Sugarland Oaks
Fox Creek

Parkside at Dulles

can anyone tell me anything about these neighborhoods?

also would you reccomend any other neighborhoods? I'm single, 20's no kids, work in reston, looking for a 2-3 bedroom place with a garage, and might be renting 1-2 rooms out. Price i'm looking at is around 300 or less.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM

385 posts, read 1,109,043 times
House in 20165 for about 300K. Good TH for 150ish, would be good for 1 room mate. Countryside.
And now would be a good time to find out about the basement moisture.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:34 PM

20165 is a little far for me but possible. is 150k for a townhouse with a garage?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,109,043 times
The SFRs do--Not the THs. The larger garage TH is going to be closer to 250-300K. I know they use the Toll Road sometimes.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:17 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,785,965 times
Are you envisioning this as a place you'll live for many years, or as a starter home for just a year or two? IMO buying in Sterling Park could be a smart move if you plan to stay several years (neighborhood has a lot going for it and is poised for a renaissance, IMO). But it may not the best choice if you'll be moving on in a short time (seems like it takes longer to sell places there).

Old 05-30-2009, 06:17 AM

60 posts, read 102,913 times
Smile Yes to Sugarland Oaks and Fox Creek

These are both fine neighborhoods with easy access to Reston. There are a fair number of singles and newlyweds there, and it's quite convenient to tons of shopping/retail. The townhouses tend to be from the late 80s and early 90s and you should be able to swing a TH with garage in your price range.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,125 times
All three of these would be in your price range. Parkside at Dulles is the newest of the three developments but they are condomium townhouses so there is a condo fee of over $200/mo. They might work out well for renting out rooms as there is a bedroom and full bath on the lower level, 2 bedrooms and 2 full baths on upper level. Plus they are right on the county line so they are the nearest to Herndon and very close to Route 28. There is a community pool and the area is well maintained. However, they are very close to a commercial area and there is light industrial across Old Ox Road. Sugarland Oaks is a small community, only 9 townhouses so I doubt they have a community pool. Fox Creek is the oldest, about 20 years old but some of the townhouses are very large, over 2000 sq feet. To my mind, this is the most attractive of the three communities and offers the most value for the money. Both of the last communities are just off Dranesville Road, all communties are convenient to Reston. I don't know of any areas in either Reston or Herndon that would have comparable homes for the price.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 PM

I'm thinking 3-5 years, possibly longer. what do you think the best investment for this time frame? I like the 20171 area of herndon, but like I said, there don't seem to be any good deals now there. However, with the metro coming there, will this continue to inflate the home values to still make buying now at a higher price pay off?

Sterling certainly seems like a better value but without the metro being very close to those neighborhoods will this keep the values of these neighborhoods down relative to 20171? I like the parkside at dulles community, but the feel and look of the buildings kinda makes me think maybe they won't hold value that well - kinda like the coppermine condo community in herndon. also the industrial area outside the community doesn't seem too appealing. Sugerland Oaks and Fox creek have a nice feel but people keep warning me about buying older homes - although I can see the pros and cons.

I've driven through all these neighborhoods and they all seem pretty livable for me, but my biggest concern I think is making a bad investment. Everyplace I've looked has its pros and cons and it's hard to pinpoint whats best.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM
gnu

55 posts, read 229,900 times
I've been looking in that area as well, and for whatever reason, unlike the past two-three months, there aren't that many houses coming up for sale, and the ones that do, are bid on aggressively.

As for the metro extension, keep in mind that it's not planned to arrive in the area for another 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia