U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 25,888 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at moving to Northern VA (Quantico/Fredericsburg) and can't find the exact cities to compare the cost of living. Would 75k make it for a family of four in Stafford or Fredericksburg? Comfortably? We'd be looking to rent for a while.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM

5 posts, read 39,168 times
Yes. I can't see why you wouldn't in that area. We lived in Fredericksburg for about 2 years-renting and we bought a house. Check it out, alot cheaper than Lorton and Alexandria.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 AM

what are the 'key' times to be in to avoid the absurd 3 hour commutes to quantico from fredericksburg? (morning and afternoon) basically, if i could pick my shifts at work, what would I want?

or are there back roads that can be taken for such a short distance?

Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 PM

738 posts, read 3,565,691 times
It depends on if you're going to be going to the main gate or not... And Fredericksburg is barely in NoVa... it's got a lower cost of living, and your commute won't be nearly as bad as some other people's. Traffic gets way worse north of Quantico, so you'll be ok. Just try to start work before 8 am, and get off of work before 4 pm. (The getting off of work is more important, evening traffic can get bad)

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:39 PM

thanks for the replies!

eric
So 75k will be comfortable with a family in fredericksburg and not a bad commute? you're lying.

What about stafford? would that equation be equally viable? I saw on greatschools.net that the schools seemed to be better up there, and that's important for me as well.

lastly, i'm sorry for offending the northern va crowd. through my research in all 38 someodd pages, i've realized how picky you people are. (I can say you people, right? )

Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 PM

738 posts, read 3,565,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABound22 View Post
eric
So 75k will be comfortable with a family in fredericksburg and not a bad commute? you're lying.
You should be able to pull it off, assuming you don't have any huge car payments or college debts or something... If all you need to pay are your normal bills and rent, you should be fine.
Quote:
What about stafford? would that equation be equally viable? I saw on greatschools.net that the schools seemed to be better up there, and that's important for me as well.
Well, when you say 'Fredericksburg' it's assumed that Stafford and Spotsylvania are included. It would actually be easier for you to find a place in Stafford than the city itself. If you can find a place to rent off the new airport exit, you'd be set. It's mostly country and forests out there still, around Mountainview road and all (west of I-95), yet still close to I-95.

I've never really rented, so I'm not sure what houses rents for in Stafford (or anywhere for that matter...) but I know that with the current market, you should be able to get a decent house for $300k. (Something you couldn't have said 3 years or so ago)
Quote:
lastly, i'm sorry for offending the northern va crowd. through my research in all 38 someodd pages, i've realized how picky you people are. (I can say you people, right? )
I kinda think the lines of NoVa are route 234 up to where it hits I-66, and then up route 15 to Lee'sburg. And then I think of the Fredericksburg-Warrenton-Culpeper tri-angle as it's own sub-area. But that's just how I look at things :P

Old 09-12-2008, 04:10 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,390,796 times
Yes, my friend lives there in a nice house and he commutes to DC. I would definitely stay in that area of VA or Gaithersburg, because the housing prices up there are off the chart. The rents are very steep. Fredericksburg is close enough and nice for families. You can go anywhere in DC area and its about an hour. Also, they have the train from Fredricksburg.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,681,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD View Post
I've never really rented, so I'm not sure what houses rents for in Stafford (or anywhere for that matter...) but I know that with the current market, you should be able to get a decent house for $300k. (Something you couldn't have said 3 years or so ago)
You should definitely be able to get a decent house for $300k if you are south of Quantico. We live just north and west of Quantico, maybe a 15 minute drive, and we have houses, less than 10 years old, for under 400k.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 7,663 times
I remember when the only life form living in Stafford was wildlife. Boy I hate progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia