U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 58,064 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a place near Shirlington, preferably one of the Fairlington townhomes, but due to the high prices, I started to look at homes in the near vicinity. Some of the places on the opposite side of Four Mile Run, called Fort Barnard Heights, have unbelievably low prices but seems kind of ghetto. The houses there also seem to stay on the market forever. What's the deal with that area? Its proximity to Shirlington should make it a desirable neighborhood...? There are also a bunch of luxury townhomes being built but I don't see them flying off the shelves either. Is there some kind of unspoken thing about that area, likes it's haunted...or the land is unstable? I did notice most of the houses I looked at in that area are sliding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 05:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,094,760 times
It's not considered to be one of the nicer neighborhoods in Arlington. Not haunted, but many recent immigrants in poverty.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 AM

11 posts, read 58,064 times
Do you think that area will turn around, say within the next 5 years? With the proximity to Shirlington and the dog park I find it hard to believe that no one would want to live there...I know I do, but I also don't want to be shot at :-(

Old 06-01-2009, 07:43 AM

1,623 posts, read 4,322,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
It's not considered to be one of the nicer neighborhoods in Arlington. Not haunted, but many recent immigrants in poverty.
Yuppies don't want to live in the same neighborhood with recent El Salvadorean immigrants. It's as simple as that.

If you don't mind, you just saved yourself a lot of money and have the same access to Shirlington. But if you think that neighborhood is going to turn into a yuppy neighborhood, you'll be in for a long wait.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 8,094,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilu0306 View Post
Do you think that area will turn around, say within the next 5 years? With the proximity to Shirlington and the dog park I find it hard to believe that no one would want to live there...I know I do, but I also don't want to be shot at :-(
You're not going to be shot at. Even the worst parts of Arlington don't have a violent crime problem. But you might have to deal with vandalism and neighbors who live 8-to-a-house.

Just try walking around there sometime and see if it's the kind of neighborhood you want to live in.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
My partner and I are in the process of purchasing an older, but newly rennovated home located one house down from the Shilrington Crest (the new townhomes). Currently, we reside in the West Village of Shilrington and want more space. This part of Arlington is the last frontier. It is in transition, but speaking as someone who has lived on this street for five years now, it is a fine place and in close proximity to everything Shirlington has to offer.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:14 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,860,194 times
In areas like that it is a lottery dependent on your neighbor -- some are good, some will be bad. I wouldn't buy and hope it yuppifies in five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia