U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 AM

943 posts, read 2,779,784 times

Advertisements

I read in the Washington Post that the once busy Landmark Shopping Center is continuing to suffer with the closing of the Lord and Taylor Department Store. I expect Sears and Macy's to follow. The article said that changing demographics had destroyed business at the Mall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...5/daily88.html

If you combine the demise of Springfield Mall and Landmark Center you can see how an ever increasing number of economically disadvantaged people in Fairfax County and Alexandria are destroying what was once a great area. What is the next mall to fail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,635,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I read in the Washington Post that the once busy Landmark Shopping Center is continuing to suffer with the closing of the Lord and Taylor Department Store. I expect Sears and Macy's to follow. The article said that changing demographics had destroyed business at the Mall.

Landmark Mall loses Lord & Taylor - Washington Business Journal:

If you combine the demise of Springfield Mall and Landmark Center you can see how an ever increasing number of economically disadvantaged people in Fairfax County and Alexandria are destroying what was once a great area. What is the next mall to fail?
So it's the "fault" of the economically disadvantaged in Fairfax County and Alexandria, rather than the "fault" of the real estate developers who built, say, Dulles Town Center and/or the residents who decided to move to Ashburn Village or South Riding? The region can only sustain so many high-end shopping centers....

It sounds like you feel very isolated these days, but this is just scapegoating.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
It sounds like you feel very isolated these days, but this is just scapegoating.
Nah, this is just a game. This particular poster likes to wander around the forums seeing if he can get a rise out of people. He used to hang out in the Politics/Controversies forum, but people caught on to his routine so I guess he's now looking for a new forum to haunt. BTW, he doesn't even live in Virginia.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 AM

943 posts, read 2,779,784 times
"The demographics of the trade area have changed. . . . It is no longer upscale," Leisch said. "The mall has deteriorated terribly going back before General Growth owned it."

From the Washington Post article on the store closing

washingtonpost.com

Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM

30,178 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nah, this is just a game. This particular poster likes to wander around the forums seeing if he can get a rise out of people. He used to hang out in the Politics/Controversies forum, but people caught on to his routine so I guess he's now looking for a new forum to haunt. BTW, he doesn't even live in Virginia.
Sssshhh!!! As I said, let him have his fun so that people will stop hating ME so much! LOL!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:50 AM

For what it's worth I live in Reston and walked this morning to do some shopping at the stores in Reston Town Center, and then I hopped in my car and drove out to Dulles Town Center to do more shopping there (I found an AMAZING store called Kirkland's that has all sorts of cheap and cheesy art work and accent furniture---right up my alley!) I also got a great deal on some eye-catching shirts at H&M. It's by far one of my favorite malls I've been to in recent memory (just trailing King of Prussia Mall back in Pennsylvania).

The only thing that made me angry was that there was nearby construction that took me on a wild ride of a detour through parts unknown! When pulling out of the town center I followed the sign that said "To Route 7," and then I was forced to turn right due to the construction and pop a u-turn to come back out and continue on that same road, which AUTOMATICALLY dumped me off onto Route 28 South! I didn't feel like taking the toll road again, so I got off at the exit for "Sterling Boulevard," thinking that would hook me back up to Route 7. WRONG! I ended up going through some very ugly industrial neighborhood (I recall seeing McCarthy Tire, which was refreshing since that's based out of my hometown), and EVENTUALLY I found my way back onto Route 28 North and to Route 7 East again! Wow! For future reference though to construction workers, PLEASE put up a sign when you're closing a road to tell people how to reach their destination.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM

3,157 posts, read 8,113,383 times
I already posted this in the Landmark Mall thread. Honestly, it's not going to matter because I'm sure the mall will be demolished as soon as the economy picks up.

It's funny you mention Sears though. Of all the stores in Landmark, that one actually seems to be doing the best, and there aren't many other Sears in the area. It will probably stick around even after the mall is demolished. Macy's I'm not sure about, since there are already locations in Springfield and Pentagon City.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:27 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The only thing that made me angry was that there was nearby construction that took me on a wild ride of a detour through parts unknown!
LOL, oh man I know exactly what happened to you--you get my sympathy. Looks like you picked the wrong morning to do that, but no way to have known that. I think they only planned to have that intersection blocked today, what a bummer you happened to hit it at the worst possible moment.

For those of you who are driving out that way, in case you haven't heard they're putting the finishing touches on the ramps leading to the big new interchange at Nokes. BTW, that's the interchange you will be taking to get to the minor league stadium. When all this roadwork is done, it will relieve a lot of the pressure on the Rt. 28/Rt. 7 intersection. But until then--mass confusion!

Driving around DTC takes a little getting used to, because there are two rings of roads. But once you get the knack of it you can cut right across it pretty easily. The only thing I don't really like is the stop sign system. But gotta admit it keeps traffic moving, which was the point (even if I do think it's odd).

BTW, Scran--what are you doing driving around malls on a Monday morning? When do you start your new job--or is that part of the job?

Last edited by normie; 06-01-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,056,230 times
Troll Alert.

The O.P. is a troll and a "hit and run" poster who goes from forum to forum posting often disparaging, racist remarks to elicit a response. He has been on the board several times in the past under the names of Dingler, Goodtype, Question2, the_critic, and a few others. He usually, eventually gets banned.

He likes to makes up stories about himself. Sometimes he'll post as a woman, other times as a man and he'll have a different career and background every time he reincarnates.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
BTW, Scran--what are you doing driving around malls on a Monday morning? When do you start your new job--or is that part of the job?
I don't report to work until promptly at 8 AM next Monday, after which point I won't be gracing you all with my "presence" very often. (Rolls eyes at the thunderous applause and cheering emanating from living rooms and home offices all over NovA!) LOL! I went for another run today as well to take advantage of the nice weather, and I am planning to scope out a run at Lake Fairfax tomorrow after receiving positive reviews of it today by an associate at Potomac River Running at RTC.

I could have VERY easily just stayed on Route 28 south and then taken 267 East to Reston, but after having a guest over last night who told me a horror story about there not being ANYONE to collect tolls when he went through (forcing him to just drive on through since he didn't have exact change), I didn't want to chance a similar experience and get a nasty fine in the mail. LOL! What's up with that, anyways? Why no toll booth attendants at certain times? Is it done intentionally to slam wayward newbies who don't keep an ample supply of loose change around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia