U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,437 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling with my family to D.C. next month and have decided to use the metro to take in the sites instead of driving...I have decided in driving to Alexandria and catching the metro at one of the stations there but with not knowing anything about Alexandria I was hoping someone could guide me...I'm debating between the Van Dorn Street station and the Huntington station...I see both have parking offered and wondered which would be best to go to and if either one of these is not in a great neighborhood? Also as far as the parking goes, we will be traveling on a Saturday and I see that the Van Dorn street station has a much smaller parking lot than the Huntington station does..In traveling on a Saturday what is the likelihood that the smaller Van Dorn station parking lot will fill up? Thanks in advance for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:01 AM

3,291 posts, read 10,589,563 times
I'd choose Huntington, purely because it's on the yellow line (more direct to the sights in DC). Neigborhood-wise, I think Van Dorn and Huntington are about the same, but I could be wrong. You could also park at the Eisenhower metro station (yellow line).

Old 06-02-2009, 07:48 AM

1,330 posts, read 2,700,497 times
Eisenhower doesn't have actual parking, but on the weekend you can use the parking lot that feeds into the movie theater. It is very safe, with people coming and going all day long. I second taking the yellow line in DC, much quicker.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:20 AM

3,291 posts, read 10,589,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Eisenhower doesn't have actual parking, but on the weekend you can use the parking lot that feeds into the movie theater.
Whoops, I was just guessing. My friends who live in the area always drive to Eisenhower, so I assumed that there was parking available.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,410,573 times
The Huntington station is quite sketchy, though, so make sure you don't wander around the area after dark (there have been a few recent muggings / assaults near the 7-11, just a few blocks from the metro).

Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,852,354 times
I've never had problems parking at Van Dorn on a weekend. Huntington I've not used, but if its parking is even bigger, I doubt that'd be a problem either.

I generally use either Van Dorn or Eisenhower depending on where I'm going. Yes, the Yellow gets into DC much faster, but that doesn't help you too much if you want to go to say Foggy Bottom, or somewhere else that's on the Blue Line.

Parking at Eisenhower is easy on weekends - just use the big lot next to it. NOT the pay lot at the Holiday Inn or whatever, the free lot on the other side of the station. Its not an official metro lot, but on weekends no one knows if you are seeing a movie and getting dinner in old town vs. hopping the train .

I'd look at a Metro map, figure out where you are going, and pick your station based on whether the Blue or Yellow is a better choice for your destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia