U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 10,220 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Florida and am anticipating a move to PWC. I have read many of the posts about living in the area, but notice many of them are from a year or so ago. I have two young children and really want to know the safest areas to live in the county (names of towns).
I lived in high crime areas in Florida and don't want to do it in a new state!
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,089,252 times
The all-important first question is: where will you be working? Commuting around here can be a painful exercise, especially with the assumption that you'll be heading to the usual job centers further north. Depending on where you're coming from, Fairfax County/Alexandria/Arlington aren't too bad of a trip (perhaps 45-60 minutes on average)... but it would be a soul-deadening ride to DC, even via the Virginia Railroad Express.

If I'm reading your post correctly, it would appear that you're a single parent. If I am correct then, again assuming you won't be actually working in Prince William, then keep in mind the cost of childcare which may offset some of the benefits of an affordable home back in PWC.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:35 PM

6,586 posts, read 10,898,398 times
Big county. Can you be more specific on which end. Where you will be working etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,142,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Depending on where you're coming from, Fairfax County/Alexandria/Arlington aren't too bad of a trip (perhaps 45-60 minutes on average)... but it would be a soul-deadening ride to DC, even via the Virginia Railroad Express.
Well, I live in PWC and make the trip everyday to DC. I don't quite think my soul is dead yet , but the key is early commuting. My ride is actually quite good but I am definitely LOCKED into an early timeframe and you may not be able to do this based on your kids' schedules. If you intend to work "normal" hours, then I agree that a drive into DC will definitely drain your soul and chip away at your sanity. But vanpools are aplenty and going in later is actually to your benefit because the HOV lanes are fairly clear.

But you don't say much about where you are working.

As for PWC, I don't really consider this to be a high crime area. Sure there is some crime in specific pockets within each town (Rt. 1 corridor of Woodbridge, parts of Manassas, parts of Dumfries) but each of those towns also has extremely nice areas and they are all quite balanced. When you know more about where you're working, we can give you a better feel for those "pockets" to avoid.

As someone said on another thread, the middle schools of Prince William County are the weak link in the school system here. Except for one or two elementary schools, all of them are quite good and most parents are very pleased with the quality of education here. The middle schools just seem to fall apart except for Benton and, possibly, Saunders (not familiar with the Western PWC middle schools). High schools can be hit or miss, with only one or two being very undesirable. The rest of the high schools are fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:25 AM

555 posts, read 2,438,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl2009 View Post
I currently live in Florida and am anticipating a move to PWC. I have read many of the posts about living in the area, but notice many of them are from a year or so ago. I have two young children and really want to know the safest areas to live in the county (names of towns).
I lived in high crime areas in Florida and don't want to do it in a new state!
Thanks for your help!
My suggestion (as it always is) is Gainesville, Haymarket, or Bristow if you want the western part of the County. Western Lake Ridge (Westridge, Springwoods, Old Bridge Estates etc), Montclair, or Belmont Bay if you want the East. Never buy anything with the word "Georgetown" in it, just a little hint.

Also, if your kids are in gangs, please don't transplant that gang to PWC. We have them here, but at least we know who they are.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:46 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,089,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Well, I live in PWC and make the trip everyday to DC. I don't quite think my soul is dead yet , but the key is early commuting. My ride is actually quite good but I am definitely LOCKED into an early timeframe and you may not be able to do this based on your kids' schedules. If you intend to work "normal" hours, then I agree that a drive into DC will definitely drain your soul and chip away at your sanity. But vanpools are aplenty and going in later is actually to your benefit because the HOV lanes are fairly clear.
Touche'! Granted, flexible hours are popular around here and a lot of people take advantage of a smoother commute then. I guess I was being just a tad dramatic about how commuting during "traditional" hours would affect a household. Glad we agree that an otherwise "normal" commute might simulate that new movie "Drag Me To H***".

Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,142,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Touche'! Granted, flexible hours are popular around here and a lot of people take advantage of a smoother commute then. I guess I was being just a tad dramatic about how commuting during "traditional" hours would affect a household. Glad we agree that an otherwise "normal" commute might simulate that new movie "Drag Me To H***".
Oh, it will. A little over two years ago, I was sort of "stuck" getting my daughter to her bus stop that was several miles away. I could not take her there until 6:15. After I dropped her off, it would take me until 7:30 and sometimes almost 8:00 a.m. to get into DC. This was by myself as a single rider. I thought I was going to die. I finally bit the bullet and picked up slugs and it was the best thing I ever did. I get my slugs around 6:25 and I was at my desk between 7:00 - 7:10 a.m.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,872 times
from someone who lives in PWC
i live in haymarket
which is in the northern part of PWC
and it is beautiful up here
the area i would choose is
Bristow, Gainesville, or Haymarket
these ones used to be towns are filled with nice houses
their mostly all new, and most of the people move here to escape from manassas which is the "city" in PWC and its turned very high crimed
and schools are better around Bristow Gainesville and Haymarket

but there is a better place in manassas which would be around the Lake jackson area which has huge houses with huge lots.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:17 AM

71 posts, read 180,314 times
If you work in DC or Pentagon I recommend the VRE (for Manassas/Gainesville) and the VRE/Omniride/slug (for Woodbridge/Dumfries)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia