U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 22,379 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it will take to commute from Leesburg into downtown DC, Faragut West area? I don't have to be at work until 10 a.m. Can I make it in an hour or so, leaving at 8:45?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 56,527 times
The traffic in any town/city in Northern Virginia is outrageous. I live in Ashburn and you're out much further. I will probably need to leave your home at 8:00 a.m. to have any chance on arriving at home on time.

The only way into Wash, DC via toll road to 66. Your commute is not going to be pleasant at all.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:45 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,359,561 times
Sorry to say, you won't be able to make it in an hour from Leesburg to DC. Using the Toll Road even in NON-rush hour traffic, a commute would run you at least 45 minutes. During rush hour (which unfortunately, 8:45 is still part of), you're looking at more like a 75-90 minute commute.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:13 PM

3,029 posts, read 10,660,119 times
you can make it into DC using the Toll then 66 in less 1 hour in NON-Rush Hour. (finding parking is another thing!!) But rush hour in the morn from out here in Leesburg begins to get heavy at 7am and doesn't let up (on rt7) until after 9am.

The TOLL RD is NOT the ONLY way in to DC....the easiest yes. fastest? not always.

Also you can get into DC by taking rt 7 to lewisille rd then to 123 and hit GerogeWashington PKWY and over Teddy Roosevelt bridge.

YOu can also get on 193 off of rt7 and take GWPkwy in. and so forth...

I can tell you that from Leesburg to McLean is 1 hour on a good rush hour day. and that's on 7. Hubby did it last nioght and he's way too cheap to pay the $$$ for the toll! on a bad day...90min.

So to anwser your question...commute from Leesburg to DC in an hour?? no not at 8:45am 90min would be my guess.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Sorry to say, you won't be able to make it in an hour from Leesburg to DC. Using the Toll Road even in NON-rush hour traffic, a commute would run you at least 45 minutes. During rush hour (which unfortunately, 8:45 is still part of), you're looking at more like a 75-90 minute commute.
Do you know if there is a way to take public transportation from Leesburg to DC and back, even if it means a short taxi ride from Leesburg somewhere? Seems the closest thing is the Orange line Metro. Bus?

Old 06-11-2012, 10:33 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,078,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfreeman17 View Post
Do you know if there is a way to take public transportation from Leesburg to DC and back, even if it means a short taxi ride from Leesburg somewhere? Seems the closest thing is the Orange line Metro. Bus?
Try here.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,852,719 times
There are commuter buses that run from out there into the city. Leesburg to DC twice a day, sounds very tough! I'm not too far from there, off exit 6 (Belmont Ridge) south of the toll road. I go to Tysons every day. On average (leave around 8:30am / 6:00pm) it's 30 minutes door/door. But, that's Tysons and full tolls, including the criminal "thank you sir, may I have another" Greenway. Always seems to me that once you're past Tysons and having to navigate the beltway/66, it gets down right painful. I am hearing in my neighborhood of folks who work in the District taking the commuter buses in/out. They have wonderful things to say about them too! Including free wifi while you ride, and it's much cheaper too than paying the tolls. I think, if for anything else, your own level of sanity, this might be the option for you. Just go park at a bus pick-up zone out there and hop a ride. Question is though, where is your office in the District? Close enough to the bus stop?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:19 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,766,585 times
I know someone who lives in Leesburg and takes VRE into DC every day. It's a long commute, but better and easier than driving.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 PM

7,959 posts, read 9,702,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I know someone who lives in Leesburg and takes VRE into DC every day. It's a long commute, but better and easier than driving.
Where do they pick up the VRE? Seems it would take 45 minutes to an hour, just to get to a station. Are you sure they don't take the MARC train, which is likely a lot closer to Leesburg in Point of Rocks?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:50 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,990,790 times
I would take Loudoun County Connector buses - it will still be a little over an hour (I think it was a little under an hour from Dulles North to Farragut West, but you're further out). But at least you can relax and read the whole way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia