U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM

236 posts, read 675,003 times

Advertisements

IMO it also depends a lot on the apartment unit you get, how have the past renters treated it and most important, on your neighbors. Hopefully you'll get a good unit, keep your fingers crossed

cville... we used to rent at Bryson, our only complaint was the internet and visitor parking, other than that those condos are pretty good (since they're privately owned). Its great that Bryson residents have Cox now, bye bye Sofast

Last edited by Samara11; 06-10-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM

40 posts, read 71,698 times
I just thought I would post an update in case anyone else is scouting this place out anytime soon.

We have just completed our one year lease and will NOT be renewing.

For the first 5 months, it was great. We never heard our neighbors, the internet was fast and never failed, our service calls were processed quickly and professionally.

I have no idea what changed but the past 6 months have been less than fun. We have been without reliable internet. Some days we can not connect at all, all others we can connect for short periods at a time. Forget anything that requires bandwidth. When we complained, MDU said they were aware of problems here and did not know how to fix it. So, if you need fast internet and you need it often, you may want to check into another place unless they put Fios in. (although that has been an empty promise for nearly a year now)

It seems they are being less scrutinizing on who is approved to rent as there are a lot of newer residents who are loud and disrespectful. (leaving big dogs out on their patios to bark all day and night, leaving trash everywhere, loud music, etc)

Also, the gate system is to a point now where it is broken more than it is functional. (Which would not bother me either way except when there is only one gate working and we are all lined up out into the main road because none of the other gates will allow passage)

Management will also jerk you around if you need parking permits, zipstrips to be able to get through the gate, garage door openers or referral checks. There is always some sort of excuse here. You will eventually get what you need but it will take incessant hounding, patience and time.

If I had it to do over again, I would have signed a short term lease. Now I am counting the final 45 days, all to ready to move into our new detached rental home.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM

10 posts, read 15,807 times
Sorry to hear about your experience, but I think Cville tried to warn you....

Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 10,183 times
thanks for the heads up, I was actually ready to go give them my application / holding fee last weekend. The only reason I didn't is because I have a Harley and hey told me that there was a long waiting list for garages. I endup up renting a townhouse about 2 miles away for the same price, it comes with a 2 car garage and is walking disance from downtown Herndon.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:32 AM

599 posts, read 914,944 times
Uhaul -- thanks for coming back to the forum and posting your experience. I am one of those people who had to slam a condo complex online (via apartmentratings) -- and everything I said was true and fairly negative. While looking for a place to buy, I lived at Fountains at McLean and had a very interesting experience with the condo manager entering my unit without my knowledge. I discovered this when I came home unexpectedly for lunch one day. So, yes...I'm one of those internet hags, spewing vitriolic bilge. Unfortunatley in my case, it was all true.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 PM

461 posts, read 655,148 times
Sorry to hear, but welcome to renting.

It is why many people end up wanting to own their own place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhaul Is My Friend View Post
I just thought I would post an update in case anyone else is scouting this place out anytime soon.

We have just completed our one year lease and will NOT be renewing.

For the first 5 months, it was great. We never heard our neighbors, the internet was fast and never failed, our service calls were processed quickly and professionally.

I have no idea what changed but the past 6 months have been less than fun. We have been without reliable internet. Some days we can not connect at all, all others we can connect for short periods at a time. Forget anything that requires bandwidth. When we complained, MDU said they were aware of problems here and did not know how to fix it. So, if you need fast internet and you need it often, you may want to check into another place unless they put Fios in. (although that has been an empty promise for nearly a year now)

It seems they are being less scrutinizing on who is approved to rent as there are a lot of newer residents who are loud and disrespectful. (leaving big dogs out on their patios to bark all day and night, leaving trash everywhere, loud music, etc)

Also, the gate system is to a point now where it is broken more than it is functional. (Which would not bother me either way except when there is only one gate working and we are all lined up out into the main road because none of the other gates will allow passage)

Management will also jerk you around if you need parking permits, zipstrips to be able to get through the gate, garage door openers or referral checks. There is always some sort of excuse here. You will eventually get what you need but it will take incessant hounding, patience and time.

If I had it to do over again, I would have signed a short term lease. Now I am counting the final 45 days, all to ready to move into our new detached rental home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia