U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM

3,667 posts, read 5,171,456 times
[quote=5stones;9240900]VRE...
sometimes govt employees don't move. We were at one place for 10 years before we moved another for 5 years. We know agents who have been in the same locale for almost 13 years now.
I am not renting forever, Buying houses for us was a good way to build equity etc...
It's a peronal choice...

Yes, our decision to buy in VA was a bad one...We waffled back and forth etc...it wasn't an weasy one and we bet wrong! we lost all our equity and then some (about 100k of own money) We thought the market would stay pretty flat or maybe dip about 2-5%. where we would have still be ahead finacially rather than rent.

The problem is getting govt employee to move to EXPENSIVE cities like DC,LA etc... the govt does not give big COLA jumps like the military. So to try to keep good employees they offer incintives like the buy clause to get people to move.
So since The govt has the right to move you of it sees fit...the incintive is that you won't be stuck with your house. It DOESN'T give you what you paid for it...it will buy back at about 5% less than current mrk values
Pay is not great...NO-ONE works for Uncle Sam for the pay. It's double and even triple in the private sector.
You wnat to keep good employees working for uncle sam then get them a few perks here and there.

Health insurance...not great...pretty epensive if you want more than just basic.
Retirement...not that great anmymore...we are on a program very close to a tradtional 401k...so yes as the market goes down...so does our retirement. Gone are the days of old when govt retirement was around 80% of your salary.

The MILITARY does not have the buy out program.
they give COLA allowences to cover rent utilities etc...

DENTON...
If you know for certin that the LTC is the current owner of the property, Then I would go to the city to see what violations he is commiting....city codes etc.
If you are out in the country, there may not be any inforceable codes. As long as the RE taxes are paid then he is current.
Everyone who hates HOAs...this is why they can be good.

If he has that ammount of profit...it may not be worth it to him to rent etc... he lets it sit and when he decides to either sell or live there then he will put some money into fixing it up.

Also maybe he got called up and sent overseas on deployment unexpectanly....[/quote]

This is actually a very valid point and I didn't think of that. Maybe if this is what happened his family went to live with other family. I would think however that they would have someone keeping up the outside of the house though.

Dneton56 would the neighbors feel better about it if the property were kept up? I understand about wanting the other houses around a person to look nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM

696 posts, read 999,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I think you're too proud to rent, but there are some awesome houses for rent in every city. Not every person should buy a house either. I also think you're making a career out of a good Federal program (poorly operated), like some people making a career out of cheating the welfare system. The worst part is your complaining. Somebody at prudential probably put your application on the bottom of the stack haha. Prudential= Welfare for homeowners
If you don't have anything nice to say please keep it to yourself. I always find it interesting how people bash other people when they aren't in their shoes. We've been in dealings over a relocation for 4 months now and it has turned our family upside down. I think your gross generalizations are rude and offensive.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 PM

8 posts, read 20,512 times
VRE=322 you are the real joke

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,164,886 times
AJ,
Yes, the neighbors who have live near him and look at his mess everyday would certainly feel better if he cleaned up the yard, threw out the trash and appliances and mowed. Military neighbors are blaming it on the military, assuming, incorrectly, that the military bought the house and they should get rid of the piles of trash and mow the lawn.

I suppose he might have been deployed overseas but it seems unlikely that it would cause him to pull three kids out of school to move them somewhere where their dad won't even be. Particularly with only 3 more months left in the school year. It seems like the wife would have stayed and let the kids finish school first.

They live just outside a very small town in North west Virginia. There are no HOA's. But the sheriff was out there poking around the house, so someone must have called them. Or he could have just been posting foreclosure notices.

Thanks to all of you for your help with this problem. Keep those ideas coming.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 AM

I don't think that military ever got 80% of their salary when they retired. But it sure isn't that much now, more like 50 to 60%. If you want a big retirement, become an FCPS teacher or administrator. They retire with 90% of their pay. The county pays 78% and the state kicks in the other 12%. A retired FCPS teacher makes more money than a retired General or Admiral. Not bad. Plus, their hospitalization is much cheaper than the federal policies. We pay well over $400 a month, plus a large deducatable. Most federal employees have watched their retirement money cut in half in the last 6 months. Oh well, maybe we can still retire, someday, just not now as we had hoped before the market tanked.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I don't think that military ever got 80% of their salary when they retired. But it sure isn't that much now, more like 50 to 60%. If you want a big retirement, become an FCPS teacher or administrator. They retire with 90% of their pay. The county pays 78% and the state kicks in the other 12%. A retired FCPS teacher makes more money than a retired General or Admiral. Not bad. Plus, their hospitalization is much cheaper than the federal policies. We pay well over $400 a month, plus a large deducatable. Most federal employees have watched their retirement money cut in half in the last 6 months. Oh well, maybe we can still retire, someday, just not now as we had hoped before the market tanked.
Boy do I hear you on this. Hubby has been in fed gov't for 21 yrs and was wanting to retire at 25 but it's not going to happen now. Thankfully we are still relatively young and he can actually work for 13 yrs before mandatory retirement. We don't quite $400 a month on insurance but it is getting there, maybe when we move later in the year to NOVA we may hit that $400 mark since we will have to switch back to BCBS. I always told my hubby I should work for the post office since they pay about half of what we pay for insurance.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
AJ,
Yes, the neighbors who have live near him and look at his mess everyday would certainly feel better if he cleaned up the yard, threw out the trash and appliances and mowed. Military neighbors are blaming it on the military, assuming, incorrectly, that the military bought the house and they should get rid of the piles of trash and mow the lawn.

I suppose he might have been deployed overseas but it seems unlikely that it would cause him to pull three kids out of school to move them somewhere where their dad won't even be. Particularly with only 3 more months left in the school year. It seems like the wife would have stayed and let the kids finish school first.

They live just outside a very small town in North west Virginia. There are no HOA's. But the sheriff was out there poking around the house, so someone must have called them. Or he could have just been posting foreclosure notices.

Thanks to all of you for your help with this problem. Keep those ideas coming.
Is it possible he and the wife separated and she and the kids left, especially with 3 months left of schools? Definately a strange situation.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 AM

2,528 posts, read 5,046,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis24 View Post
VRE=322 you are the real joke
what's that comment for?

Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Boy do I hear you on this. Hubby has been in fed gov't for 21 yrs and was wanting to retire at 25 but it's not going to happen now. Thankfully we are still relatively young and he can actually work for 13 yrs before mandatory retirement. We don't quite $400 a month on insurance but it is getting there, maybe when we move later in the year to NOVA we may hit that $400 mark since we will have to switch back to BCBS. I always told my hubby I should work for the post office since they pay about half of what we pay for insurance.
I thought that there was no mandatory age for retirement in the government. Wouldn't that be illegal? Age discrimination or something like that? I know that a man in my DH's office was 78 when he retired and he could have stayed, everyone thought that he would. He's one of those people who everyone thought would die at his desk but he got sick of the commute and retired.

We have many choices in insurance and can change every November. We don't, since this policy works well for our family, although it is expensive. I can't understand why the country things that we have such great deals on insurance.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Is it possible he and the wife separated and she and the kids left, especially with 3 months left of schools? Definately a strange situation.
THAT may be the case. Maybe he moved closer to the Pentagon. But it still seems like the wife and kids would have stayed in the house to finish out the school year. Eventually we'll find out, it's a small town, someone will know what happened to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia