Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
I thought that there was no mandatory age for retirement in the government. Wouldn't that be illegal? Age discrimination or something like that? I know that a man in my DH's office was 78 when he retired and he could have stayed, everyone thought that he would. He's one of those people who everyone thought would die at his desk but he got sick of the commute and retired.

We have many choices in insurance and can change every November. We don't, since this policy works well for our family, although it is expensive. I can't understand why the country things that we have such great deals on insurance.

There is mandatory retirement for law enforcement and fire fighters, otherwise no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
most federal civil service employees don't have madatory retirement but those in jobs with HIGH risk factors do....

Quote:
Mandatory retirement age. This is the age set by your employer at which you would have had to retire if you had not become disabled. There is no mandatory retirement age for most federal employees. However, there is a mandatory retirement age for the following employees.

An air traffic controller appointed after May 15, 1972, by the Department of Transportation or the Department of Defense generally must retire by the last day of the month in which he or she reaches age 56.
A firefighter employed by the U.S. Government who is otherwise eligible for immediate retirement generally must retire by the last day of the month in which he or she reaches age 57 or, if later, completes 20 years of firefighter service.
A law enforcement officer employed by the U.S. Government who is otherwise eligible for immediate retirement generally must retire by the last day of the month in which he or she reaches age 57 or, if later, completes 20 years of law enforcement service.

As for retaining 80%(aprox) of pay grade when reitired that was for Federal not Military. And it was in the 1970's befrore the overhaul went into effect.

There is also MINIMUM retirement for federal employees as well...
Quote:
Retirement under the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS). In most cases, under the CSRS, the minimum combinations of age and service for retirement are:

Age 55 with 30 years of service,
Age 60 with 20 years of service,
Age 62 with 5 years of service, or
For law enforcement, firefighter, or air traffic controller service, age 50 with 20 years of covered service.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:56 AM

6 posts, read 21,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlarkin View Post
My husband is a supervisor with the DEA. In this case, it doesn't seem to be the govt. at fault (surprise, surprise!), it is Prudential. The appraisals are completely out of control. 1st appraisal = 480K, 2nd appraisal = 625K, 3rd appraisal = 390K. We are obviously appealing this, but it is dragging on and on and on. In the meantime, Prudential has the nerve to send us bullying emails stating that if we don't have "blah blah blah" done at the time of the GBO, the offer will be void... At which time I ask when we will get the GBO? They say they don't know. In addition, they send out sketchy service guys who report that we have water in our oil tank when my service company says we do not. These types of examples go on and on. Any suggestions?
Hi - how did you get the appraisal numbers ? I have been trying to but the appraisers said they can only give Prudential that information. Will Prudential let us know what they came in at ? I can't seem to get any responses from them - UGH !!!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodcfromseattle View Post
We had appraisals done two weeks ago. I'm waiting on pins and needles! Where are you selling in NOVA? You can PM me if you'd like since that's where we will be buying.
Have you received your buy out price yet ? We are moving to Guam from Annapolis and it is so frustrating working with Pru-Relo ! We have David Vo as our relo guy, he isn't bad, responds to us...better than most Gov't personnel, but he can't get answers either, or so he says. We are hitting our 60 days on Monday and still no buy out price.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Dog View Post
Have you received your buy out price yet ? We are moving to Guam from Annapolis and it is so frustrating working with Pru-Relo ! We have David Vo as our relo guy, he isn't bad, responds to us...better than most Gov't personnel, but he can't get answers either, or so he says. We are hitting our 60 days on Monday and still no buy out price.
Ha! Stay on them! My husband called them regularly for updates. Hopefully the real estate market hasn't tanked too badly in Annapolis. Our buyout came back lower than what we owe on it! We did all the right things when we bought our house 2 years ago (20 % down, only one mortgage, 30 yr fixed, etc). At this point we are looking at close to a 6 digit loss if we take the buyout offer. So, we lowered the price significantly and are waiting to attract a great buyer. Not the best time to be selling a house. I think our relo person is a woman and seems to be good, but is on vacation this week. My husband seems happy with how she handles things. I have absolutely zero faith in Pru-Relo right now! The fact that I'm going to take such a hit (for a number of reasons) and yet they will get a huge commission ticks me off! This relo is costing a ton of money and is quite frankly ridiculous. That's another story though.....

Good luck to you!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Dog View Post
Hi - how did you get the appraisal numbers ? I have been trying to but the appraisers said they can only give Prudential that information. Will Prudential let us know what they came in at ? I can't seem to get any responses from them - UGH !!!
Prudential will get you the appraisers numbers and hopefully you won't cry like we did!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 AM

We are fortunate as the market hasn't tanked tremendously in my area...but people I know in DC are in the same boat as you are. We are already assuming we are going to take a loss and are preparing for that, but how much is another question....and how to handle it. Oh well..it's only money right ? LOL. Good to know they will give us the appraisal numbers..when they tell you that it is an average of the appraisals then they come in even lower - isn't that incorrect in their process ? UGH - well thank you for your response..DC is a blast and there is SOOOO much you can do. Enjoy all the Dungeonus crab you can before you leave Seattle...they basically have blue crabs here..yummy, but a mess. I lived in Portland, OR for 13 year...miss the Pacific Northwest !

Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 PM

Default Prudential Property Management - Any one ever gone through ?

Ok, so the buy out is super low..way low! Now they are offering to close the home buying program and transfer me to the Prudential Propoerty Management Counselor..but they will not tell me the fees nor let me speak to someone about the program first before kicking me out of the home buying program...which means I have to pay back the $3k in appraisal, inspection, etc. fees. All I want to know is the property management details beforehand..has anyone gone through this yet ? Thanks !

Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Small update on the Colonel's house. It still sits empty but I found out that the Colonel told neighbors that he was reassigned to California, all the way across the country. It still seems weird to me that Mom wouldn't have stayed here with the kids for the last two months of school. Of course it's also very odd that they abandoned their house, leaving at least $200,000 in equity.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 PM

So where is the Colonel's house? Is it for rent, for sale? PM me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia