Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM

81 posts, read 240,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I can't imagine how you do that......the emissions testing machine at the inspection station transmits the test results directly to DMV.

On the rare occasions that the results are not transmitted, you have to show the emissions certificate to the folks at DMV...if the VIN on the certificate doesn't jive with the VIN on the car you're registering, they'll turn it down.

I suppose the DMV rep could fail to cross-check the VINs...but it ain't likely.
Do you go to the DMV to register your car?? There are easier ways these days.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM

573 posts, read 2,505,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
Do you go to the DMV to register your car?? There are easier ways these days.....
If you have moved from out-of-state or have to register a new car, you do have to go in person...

Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
If you have moved from out-of-state or have to register a new car, you do have to go in person...
So after the initial registration you can do it online?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Wow! This will be much more of a confusing hassle than I had ever previously imagined! For such a densely-populated and highly-transient place like Fairfax County one would assume that they'd want to STREAMLINE operations to cater to as many people as possible as expediently as possible.

I moved into my apartment on May 23. I do not get billed for my utilities until July, and I don't receive my first pay check until June 26. Besides a print-off of my pay stub or the utility bill what else can I use to prove my Virginia residency? Will the DMV accept a copy of the lease agreement and/or a written statement from my employer? Also, what's this business I hear about "proving" that you paid your sales tax in another state on your vehicle? Suppose someone from NJ bought their new car in PA without being charged sales tax for it and was now in the process of relocating to VA. Why on Earth would VA be "entitled" to that sales tax from you if you had previously lived in another state and then proceeded to buy your vehicle from a different state?

I moved here from an urban county, so I'm assuming my vehicle had already passed an emissions inspection. If so, am I still liable to have to get ANOTHER emissions inspection for VA? I bought my vehicle in late-April if I'm not mistaken. If the vehicle fails to pass a safety/emissions check could I be granted a "reprieve" by the state of VA until I can drive back up to PA and have the dealer whom I bought it from honor warranty repair work to bring the vehicle up to snuff? Also, what do I do about license plates? I want a vanity plate that says "RESTON" (or some sort of derivative like "RESTON7" in the likely case the original is already taken), and I also want the plate that has the cursive "Virginia" writing with the Fall leaves around the perimeter. Would I have to pay for and order those plates online FIRST, go to get my vehicle inspected, and THEN go to the DMV, or would I be able to order that vanity plate there?

I'm so confused!!! I don't want to walk into the DMV in Sterling and have the little old ladies screaming at me!

Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'm so confused!!! I don't want to walk into the DMV in Sterling and have the little old ladies screaming at me!
Here's a step-by-step overview for you: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles - New to Virginia?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM

59 posts, read 162,408 times
Don't forget to title your car in Virginia Scran. You have to have a new title reissued in the state of Virginia even if you are paying the note on the car and the bank holds your Pennsylvania title. And it is true that you need the sales invoice on your car to prove you paid the initial sales taxes for the car in your old state.

The DMV really puts you on a roller coaster of "fun". I had a terrible time getting my title registered when they demanded the original title from the financer of my car (I hadn't paid it off yet). After going through the trouble of requesting it being mailed from the bank to the DMV, someone in the chain (most likely the DMV) lost my title. The bank kept leaving me messages asking what happened to the title (DMV was supposed to reissue the title and mail it back to the bank). I ended up waiting till the car was paid off and my new title was regenerated before getting a new Virginia title.

Texas was never this bad. I think Virginia DMV's bureaucratic mentality is simply due to osmosis from DC.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post

Heavens no! The only reason I go to DMV is to renew my Commercial Drivers License. CDLs are not, and never have been, renewable in any manner other than in person.

I only mentioned going to DMV while pondering how you are able to register two cars with one emissions inspection. Again, if emissions results are not transmitted electronically to DMV, you must either take the hard copy into DMV, or mail it with the registration application. Even then, if somebody notices the VIN doesn't match.....no soap.

Anyway, I know most, if not all the DMV tricks.....and I think you're BSin'

Old 06-10-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
So after the initial registration you can do it online?
Yes. In fact, they charge you an extra $5 if you do it in person.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:50 PM

81 posts, read 240,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Heavens no! The only reason I go to DMV is to renew my Commercial Drivers License. CDLs are not, and never have been, renewable in any manner other than in person.

I only mentioned going to DMV while pondering how you are able to register two cars with one emissions inspection. Again, if emissions results are not transmitted electronically to DMV, you must either take the hard copy into DMV, or mail it with the registration application. Even then, if somebody notices the VIN doesn't match.....no soap.

Anyway, I know most, if not all the DMV tricks.....and I think you're BSin'
Not correct. You can enter emissions results online.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! This will be much more of a confusing hassle than I had ever previously imagined! For such a densely-populated and highly-transient place like Fairfax County one would assume that they'd want to STREAMLINE operations to cater to as many people as possible as expediently as possible.

I moved into my apartment on May 23. I do not get billed for my utilities until July, and I don't receive my first pay check until June 26. Besides a print-off of my pay stub or the utility bill what else can I use to prove my Virginia residency? Will the DMV accept a copy of the lease agreement and/or a written statement from my employer? Also, what's this business I hear about "proving" that you paid your sales tax in another state on your vehicle? Suppose someone from NJ bought their new car in PA without being charged sales tax for it and was now in the process of relocating to VA. Why on Earth would VA be "entitled" to that sales tax from you if you had previously lived in another state and then proceeded to buy your vehicle from a different state?

I moved here from an urban county, so I'm assuming my vehicle had already passed an emissions inspection. If so, am I still liable to have to get ANOTHER emissions inspection for VA? I bought my vehicle in late-April if I'm not mistaken. If the vehicle fails to pass a safety/emissions check could I be granted a "reprieve" by the state of VA until I can drive back up to PA and have the dealer whom I bought it from honor warranty repair work to bring the vehicle up to snuff? Also, what do I do about license plates? I want a vanity plate that says "RESTON" (or some sort of derivative like "RESTON7" in the likely case the original is already taken), and I also want the plate that has the cursive "Virginia" writing with the Fall leaves around the perimeter. Would I have to pay for and order those plates online FIRST, go to get my vehicle inspected, and THEN go to the DMV, or would I be able to order that vanity plate there?

Yes a lease counts as proof of residence, it gives a list of acceptable documents on the DMV website. A cable/satellite bill also counts as a utility if you have one of those, as well as a cancelled check w/ your new address on it.
Unless your car was specifically emissions tested, then no, you still have to get one done. You'd have to show your passing certificate from PA in order to not get it done here. Since I'm assuming you don't have that, you'll have to get it done. You need to get the emissions and VA safety inspection done before you go to the DMV, where you'll deal with the license plates and paying extra for the vanity and special plate. You can't do that online because in order to register/get plates you have to re-title it in VA first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia