U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 32,837 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Arlington in a high rise apartment. It has Verizon high speed internet (but not FiOS) or Comcast cable internet. I want to know two things: if Comcast really does have bad connection issues (getting disconnected a lot) as I have heard, and what the speed difference is. I cant get the information from them because they rant on about their PowerBoost which I already researched and its basically B.S. (see here)

Verizon - max 3 Mbps download speed
Comcast - what is your download speed if you have it? the Power Boost thing only happens for certain periods of use not all the time. try this and tell me what you get: Speakeasy - Speed Test

Does comcast have good reliable internet connection? I have heard they don't. I also heard their customer service sucks.

Also, being in a high rise, does that mean cable internet is a bad idea ? (most people in the building have comcast internet, not verizon)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 PM

23,010 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gth790r View Post
I am moving to Arlington in a high rise apartment. It has Verizon high speed internet (but not FiOS) or Comcast cable internet. I want to know two things: if Comcast really does have bad connection issues (getting disconnected a lot) as I have heard, and what the speed difference is. I cant get the information from them because they rant on about their PowerBoost which I already researched and its basically B.S. (see here)

Verizon - max 3 Mbps download speed
Comcast - what is your download speed if you have it? the Power Boost thing only happens for certain periods of use not all the time. try this and tell me what you get: Speakeasy - Speed Test

Does comcast have good reliable internet connection? I have heard they don't. I also heard their customer service sucks.

Also, being in a high rise, does that mean cable internet is a bad idea ? (most people in the building have comcast internet, not verizon)
I live in a high rise and have Verizon internet and Comcast Cable TV. Verizon is not 100% great but i would pick it over Comcast anyday. Verizon is pretty realible if you dont have any self-inflicted issues (using cheap phone lines, losing wall mount filters, etc.)

Comcast (sometime nicknamed C***cast by locals) has very low quality customer service and connections. Avoid them at all costs. They are not worth the extra $$ over Verizon.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM

241 posts, read 890,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Comcast (sometime nicknamed C***cast by locals) has very low quality customer service and connections. Avoid them at all costs. They are not worth the extra $$ over Verizon.
I second that. Their billing is very shady too, they'll keep adding weird charges to your bill and it will take you forever to sort it out.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,782,279 times
I'd almost lean Verizon. Cable internet has higher theoretical speed than DSL (Verizon's "HSI" is DSL), and SHOULD be faster, but it is shared bandwidth. DSL is slower, but it is all yours. Personally, I prefer a connection that is always "pretty fast" than one that is sometimes "blazing fast" and sometimes "blah."

That said, there are negatives to DSL. The big one is, at least in the past, you have to have a home phone line. If like many people you want a home phone, that's no biggie. That said, if you are like me, and otherwise would not have a land line (I use my cell for everything), its a not insignificant extra cost ($20/mo minimum). Further, if you DO want cable TV, then you can probably get a discount on a "double play" bundle deal from Comcast.

So if you are like me, and DON'T want a home phone, but DO want cable TV, Comcast may actually be cheaper overall.

If that's the case, I'd personally probably give them a try. If it sucks, you can cancel the internet part, and switch to Verizon.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 PM

81 posts, read 207,345 times
Hmmm.... that's a bit worrying. I live in McLean and am thinking about moving to Arlington. I find Cox internet to work very well.

This thing about "sharing bandwidth" is a thing of the past for cable internet.

I have passionate hatred for Verizon.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 32,837 times
Wow thanks for all the responses guys! I am going to go with Verizon then. I have had trouble with their phone customer service so far (since they are 2 different companies its kind of confusing if you use cellular and home phone, they don't really understand that on the phone, go figure), but I trust the reliability will be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flrnova View Post
Hmmm.... that's a bit worrying. I live in McLean and am thinking about moving to Arlington. I find Cox internet to work very well.

This thing about "sharing bandwidth" is a thing of the past for cable internet.

I have passionate hatred for Verizon.
How so? Cable internet is a cloud, so there is a huge pool of bandwidth for a large number of connections, and they bet on the fact that everyone isn't using it at one time. This generally works, but has the potential for problems if everyone does actually try to get on at the same time (like FDIC and banks). It all depends on location, which is why i asked what other peoples experience with it was. Arlington is a much more dense area than McLean, so that may be why your experience is diff. Who knows, maybe i'll switch to comcast some day, but not now!

Thanks all!

Old 06-17-2009, 03:24 PM

1,620 posts, read 4,202,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmordean View Post
That said, there are negatives to DSL. The big one is, at least in the past, you have to have a home phone line. If like many people you want a home phone, that's no biggie. That said, if you are like me, and otherwise would not have a land line (I use my cell for everything), its a not insignificant extra cost ($20/mo minimum).
As long as you have a landline wiring, you can still sign up for Verizon DSL without having home phone service. I think they charge you a higher rate though, but I think it was in the $5 to $10 range.

Anyways, they charge me $38 per month for DSL without regular phone service.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 13,577 times
Angry Verizon s****!!!!!!

My wife and I switched from Comast to Verizon almost two months ago. We got the full package (Internet, Phone and TV). Verizon's service is terrible! Do not SWITCH with whomever you have! Their customer Service is awful! I recommend that you stay with who have or find anyone else than Verizon. Everyone should get rid of Verizon immediately. This is the worst f****** company in the entire world!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia