Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,323 times

Advertisements

So, my parents arrived in town (Alexandria) last night to help me scout out NoVA neighborhoods during the coming week. (I won't actually be buying until next year, but I've been burned twice by bad relocation choices since coming to D.C., and this time I really, really, really want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I move again.)

We set out first for West Springfield/Burke to look at some properties I'd found online. We arrived by way of the Beltway > Braddock Road, and at first I wasn't too pleased with the looks of the area. As we traveled further south, though, I started to like what I saw.. I understood what people meant by describing the area as a "leafy, park-like setting." Still, though, it seemed soooo thoroughly suburban. I couldn't really picture myself riding my bike out of a suburban neighborhood onto, say, the sidewalk/bike lane of Burke Lake Rd. and really enjoying the experience. (That is rained all morning didn't help.) The abundant bike lanes and mysterious little walking/bike paths going back into the woods were really appealing, though.

We drove further out to Clifton for lunch at the Heart in Hand. I felt like I was back in the foothills of the Missouri Ozarks! I wanted to just sit under a tree (in the rain, even) and meditate for a very long time. It's amazing how close the (edge of the) Virginia Piedmont is to the Coastal Plain at the shores of the Potomac. Without the regular NoVA traffic, you could make it from the mountains to the shore in no time flat.. *sigh*!

Our next stop was supposed to be Vienna, but we had to stop in Fairfax City when we saw how cute the downtown/"Old Town" area was - it reminded us a bit of some older suburbs of Chicago, like La Grange (only denser and slightly less upscale). We stopped at the City courthouse and got a big packet of info for prospective residents - the cultural fairs, etc. look great! Additionally, I could bike down to the Burke area on the Ox Rd. bike path very easily. We next headed on to Vienna for some shopping and finally had an excellent dinner at Sushi Yoshi on Church St.

We drove through Falls Church (right down Broad St.) on the way back to Alexandria, and I found it a bit congested for my tastes. It did look nice, though.

So, expect some questions about Fairfax City and the surrounding areas in the near future. I still have a huge amount of research to do. Any random tidbits that locals could offer up now (safety, or lack thereof, of specific neighborhoods, etc.) would be much appreciated, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:49 AM

428 posts, read 1,115,061 times
Never having lived in Fairfax City, the most informative comment I can give you is to agree that it's sooooo cute! (I keep meaning to drive down there, park, and spend a pleasant afternoon exploring the shops with my little one -- thanks for reminding me.)

I did want to pop in, though, and say I'm really glad you found something you think you like! That's what it's all about. I hope it works out for you!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
We're living right near Fairfax City these days. I love going down there on a warm evening and walking around. Even alone with my toddler, I felt totally safe. I've also biked the area with no problem at all. I think the proximity to GMU adds a slightly more youthful feeling to the area (go into any place that serves coffee on an October weekend, and you'll see about 85 people studying), which is a bonus, IMO. The library is gorgeous.

That said, we're moving to Falls Church City this weekend. We want to get a little closer to my husband's work. Broad Street itself is terribly congested, but we really like the neighborhoods in Falls Church once you turn off Broad Street. We're renting, though - I can't see ever paying the prices they're asking to buy in Falls Church City.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:11 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
I'm glad you found a place you like, and also glad we may get a Fairfax City expert on this forum. That's one part of NOVA I know nothing about, I'll enjoy reading your posts as you get to know the area better.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM

385 posts, read 1,260,692 times
Alicia,
Where were your "bad choices"? Had you consulted the CD Forum? Is the Dixie Pig BBQ still open on Rt. 1?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:14 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
Alicia,
Where were your "bad choices"? Had you consulted the CD Forum? Is the Dixie Pig BBQ still open on Rt. 1?
I know of Dixie Bones in Woodbridge. They're not on Route 1 anymore, they've moved a bit further north onto Occoquan: Welcome to Dixie Bones

Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,705 times
If you stick to the main roads in the places you visit, you cheat yourself. Most of the places you mention, including Ffx City and FC, are somewhat congested on the main thoroughfares (Main in FC, for example), but if you map out some neighborhood streets you'll like these places even more. If I were single and young again, FC would be near the top of my list. The restaurants and commercial options within a walk or bike ride of quiet neighborhoods is in my opinion among the best in the area. I live in W. Springfield and must agree with your suburban assessment. It has been a great place to raise a family, however, and we love the amenities. Finally, I recommend you tour Fairlington, Park Fairfax, and other Shirlington (Arlington) areas.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM

Fairfax City is looking better all the time! Some of the SFHs in my price range are decorated a bit dodgily (yeah, I know, most of it won't be there anymore when I move in, but it can tell you something about the 'hood). Some of the interior stuff is "permanent," though, meaning a pro or a really good DIY-er would have to replace it - green shag carpeting, '70s wood panelling, etc. Oh well - it can be replaced over time, I s'pose. And I'm not about to (and couldn't, anyway) pay an extra $100k for granite counter tops - especially when I don't even like them.

But, yeah. One of Ffx City's main charms is that they mow their medians (or "weedians," as I have begun to call them). That's also one of the ways you can tell whether you're in an actual town/independent city or unincorporated Ffx Co.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Oh, and statecollege - I'm going to explore parts of Alexandria and Arlington I haven't yet seen using the cities' abundant bike paths, now that I can get there using the new pedestrian connector between Huntington and Alexandria City.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
Alicia,
College Park, MD and Huntington (Alexandria mailing address) in Fairfax Co. No, I did not check CD first - that's why I'm such a heavy user now! Hehe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia