U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM

2,688 posts, read 5,961,971 times

Advertisements

My Cox email is horrendously slow. It used to be difficult just when the weather was bad, but now it's slow all the time. Anything else on the internet is fine but email is terrible. I just had a Cox technician come out who said the problem is with their server and that he personally uses gmail. Do any of you use Verizon FIOS and if so, do you recommend it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM

3,157 posts, read 8,117,856 times
I like Verizon personally. The prices should be the same if you're subscribed to the "triple play".

I don't have any recent experience with Verizon's email servers though. I use Gmail now, so I haven't gotten email from Verizon's servers in years. It was fine back then, but I don't know if things have changed.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,844,561 times
I had cox for years and switched to Fios and I've had zero complaints since. Verizon Fios has been the best cable company I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. My internet is fast, no issues with email, the picture on my TVs are flawless and my bill went down after dumping cox. However that was some time ago and I'm sure cox had to come up with some gimmicks to compete so I wouldn't be surprised if the prices have changed.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 PM

241 posts, read 906,532 times
We got Verizon FIOS a year ago and have had zero issues so far with the service.

The only issue was getting them to come out and set it up for us, their installation scheduling is just horrible. They will give you a 4 hour window and not even turn up that day, then will give you another day and will repeat the same thing and you'll end up with missing 2 days at work plus no service. They missed both our appointments and my husband got really pissed and yelled at them on the phone and spoke to the supervisor which resulted in them sending a person around 6 p.m. to do our installation. Other than that, no complaints

P.S. We're in Loudoun county.

Last edited by Samara11; 06-18-2009 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention our location

Old 06-18-2009, 01:15 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,673,240 times
We've had excellent experience with Verizon FIOS as well. We didn't have a problem with them coming out to install. And when we heard a hum on our phone, they came out immediately and corrected the problem. The t.v. is soooooo much better than Cox and cheaper, too. We have phone, Internet, and basic t.v. package which includes quite a bit IMHO. Price is $99 + taxes (and a box?) comes out to $124 per month for all three.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM

30,196 posts, read 67,344,690 times
I'm happy with Verizon Fios. Unlike Samara I had no complaints with installation. I made my appointment when I was still living back in Pennsylvania, and I was told that a technician would arrive at some point between 8 AM-5 PM (I think) to hook up my Internet and cable service. I received a phone call at 9:30 AM from the technician letting me know a ball park figure of when he'd be over so that I could head out and run a few errands if I so chose to. He was in and out in shortly over an hour, and he was pleasant to deal with. I offered him a tip, and he refused it before I even extended my hand.

My cable has been working (almost) fine thus far. Sometimes my music channels suddenly go off the air, and I'm told that the channel "isn't available" (even though I'm paying for it). My Internet is mostly fine, but it has been running a bit slow as of late (weather?) All in all this is a tremendous improvement over AWFUL Comcast, which my parents are held hostage with up in Scranton, PA due to the lack of utility competition back there.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I had cox for years and switched to Fios and I've had zero complaints since. Verizon Fios has been the best cable company I've ever had the pleasure to deal with. My internet is fast, no issues with email, the picture on my TVs are flawless and my bill went down after dumping cox. However that was some time ago and I'm sure cox had to come up with some gimmicks to compete so I wouldn't be surprised if the prices have changed.
ITA with this post. The service is great although customer service/billing can be a nightmare at the outset. But once you get the billing madness straight, Verizon FIOS is a dream compared to Cox.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,894,613 times
I switched from Cox to FiOS a couple of months ago. Installation went off without a hitch and I haven't had any billing problems.

However, I fail to see where the FiOS service is any better than Cox....I can't see any difference. And the FiOS internet service has frequent pop-up ads for Verizon upgrades. These are annoying.

I'm pleased overall because I'm saving about $65 a month over what I paid previously (I had Cox TV/internet and a Verizon landline before). Cox had occasional outages....tv was once out for 6 days! If FiOS is, as many say, more dependable...I guess I'm ahead of the game...

Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,130,998 times
I LoVE Verizon! It was faster than Cox and much easier to get someone on the phone who could answer question. Everything was better, faster internet, better television, great installers. I would NEVER go back to Cox where Verizon is available.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:45 AM

41 posts, read 127,124 times
We switched from Cox to FiOS a couple of months ago. Verizon has a better product than Cox at a much cheaper price, but Verizon's billing and customer service are much worse.

Whichever service you go with, you're much better off just using gmail. We were dreading switching our email addresses that we had been using for 5+ years to gmail, but it was pretty ridiculously hassle-free and now our email isn't tied to any particular service provider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or