Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 23,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Oldtimer View Post
I pay $25 for a cut at Dynasty Salon on Little River Turnpike in Annandale. 703-256-4700

I see men in there from time to time, but its almost exclusivelly women.
Thank you, appreciate the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This is America. They really need to get over that. If you live here, US culture is now your culture.
It was a simple question about a hair dresser, no one really asked your opinion about what people should do for religious or cultural reasons.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
They can have a woman come to their home and do their hair - a lot of hairdressers do that.
Thank you for the info!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBit View Post
Jumana,
In most states it is illegal to have a women’s or men’s only hair and nail salon. The establishment can market itself to one sex or another but usually under state licensing requirements they cannot refuse service to anyone.
It is also illegal to charge different prices for men or women just based on sex. A salon has to have a rational basis for pricing, Stylist experience, hair length or style.
These licensing rules were put into place because of lawsuits aimed primarily against Men’s barbershops that refused to do women and girls. Barbershops charge usually between $10.00 to $20.00 for a basic haircut and a "women’s" salon charges $30.00 and up. Yes, there are women who wish to have a basic cut and felt discriminated against by being refused service at a barber. The rule also prevents shops from discriminating against a client based on Race. All stylist/Barbers must be able to cut any ethnic hair.
Thank you for the info, I wasn't aware that it might be illegal! It's just that sometimes I'm sure men would prefer to have their own barber shops as women would like to have their own privacy in salons - oh well!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumana View Post
It was a simple question about a hair dresser, no one really asked your opinion about what people should do for religious or cultural reasons.
But therein lies the beauty of an open forum! You're welcome.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:53 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
You know I even prefer all women - who wants a man in there while you have your hair in foils!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You know I even prefer all women - who wants a man in there while you have your hair in foils!
Maybe a salon out there will be inspired to maybe set up certain hours for women, some for men and some for both! That way it will still be legal and they'll probably make more people more satisfied and have a unique selling point.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
My hairdresser is a man! I love him to death. He sees me with foil all the time! He also does my son's hair, and his girlfriend's.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumana View Post
Maybe a salon out there will be inspired to maybe set up certain hours for women, some for men and some for both! That way it will still be legal and they'll probably make more people more satisfied and have a unique selling point.
I can't imagine that the majority care who is in there. A salon won't make money catering to a tiny minority. Plus, most people would think they were just weird, having all those varied hours for different groups when the vast majority of Americans don't care.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM

36 posts, read 126,873 times
Quote:
They can have a woman come to their home and do their hair - a lot of hairdressers do that.

This is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: