U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times

Advertisements

We want to get away from the city--some place where everything is within walking distance, so we don't need a car. A resort, maybe. We don't golf or play tennis, but we do like swimming and other water activities. Also hiking, maybe horse riding or sailing, or just a fun place to walk around at night.

Any suggestions? We like Annapolis but don't know a good place to stay. I've heard the eastern shore (St. Michael's, etc.) has some quaint towns, but have no clue as to a good place to stay.

Another thought is to find a fun little mountain resort. I've heard there's a place called Nemacolin near Pittsburgh, but that it's pricey.

We could also fly somewhere--one thought we had was to go to Disney World strictly for the resort experience. (We're not really into theme parks).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM

3,286 posts, read 10,585,284 times
You could try Cape May, NJ. It's a Victorian beach town at the southernmost tip. You can drive to Lewes, DE and take the ferry over, or just drive the whole way up (~3.5-4 hours). If you stay in the downtown area there's no real need for a car. You can also rent a boat or take a cruise (there's a sunset sailing cruise that's fun), there's several wineries nearby to check out. Most hotels there are small or bed & breakfasts, however. Try Congress Hall, or just go there to hang out (there's a good bar by the lobby, a decent restaurant, and jazz downstairs in the Boiler Room). Rooms are pricey, but you can keep an eye out for a special deal.

I don't know specific hotels since I always did daytrips, but St. Michael's, Solomons Island, and Annapolis are all really nice, too. They're big sailing towns, so you should definitely be able to do that.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:40 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,905,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
You could try Cape May, NJ. It's a Victorian beach town at the southernmost tip. You can drive to Lewes, DE and take the ferry over, or just drive the whole way up (~3.5-4 hours). If you stay in the downtown area there's no real need for a car. You can also rent a boat or take a cruise (there's a sunset sailing cruise that's fun), there's several wineries nearby to check out. Most hotels there are small or bed & breakfasts, however. Try Congress Hall, or just go there to hang out (there's a good bar by the lobby, a decent restaurant, and jazz downstairs in the Boiler Room). Rooms are pricey, but you can keep an eye out for a special deal.

I don't know specific hotels since I always did daytrips, but St. Michael's, Solomons Island, and Annapolis are all really nice, too. They're big sailing towns, so you should definitely be able to do that.
Great suggestion, I love Cape May! The only thing is I forgot to mention we've been there a few times already. So I'm hoping to find another choice. But that's exactly the sort of place we'd like to find, a place where you can just park the car for days at a time because everything is right there.

Another thought is to just go to Pittsburgh. I think I recall a poster on this board who went to Pittsburgh a few months back and said there were all kinds of fun things to do.

Or, maybe we'll just go back to Cape May again. I've had some good times there, if the taxes weren't so high I'd love to retire there someday.

ps. We've also done the Delaware beaches, Williamsburg and Shenandoah Natl. Park to death. Charlottesville might be a possibility, however, if anyone knows of a good place to stay.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,962 times
What about Hershey? You could stay at the Hotel Hershey or Hershey Lodge, relax at the Chocolate Spa, have fun at Hersheypark, see the Hershey Gardens... If you stay at one of the resorts you get priority access to cabanas in the Hersheypark waterpark, plus other advantages.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:05 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,362,845 times
You can always drive to Baltimore and take a cruise ship out of there.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:00 PM

19 posts, read 40,254 times
There is a mountain resort in SW Virginia, called Mountain Lake Hotel located west of Blacksburg, you might want to consider. It offers many amenities and doesn't appear too pricey, given that meals and many of the activities are included. There are water-based activities at and also near the resort. The scenery offers a quiet and beautiful getaway.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 PM

652 posts, read 890,243 times
There is a nice mountain resort in western Maryland -- has a lake and a spa and restaurants. I think it is called Rocky Gap? I have driven by it on the way to Pennsylvania and it looks really nice. I have been wanting to go there myself. I also like Deep Creek Lake but it is pretty rural -- a nice big lake and a cute little town -- definitely need a car if you are renting one of the places on the lake. Another place I have heard about is a town in northeastern PA -- Jim Thorpe -- supposed to be very quaint and lots of shops and reastauraunts and things to do. Google it and let me know! And do not forget about glorious Pittsburgh!!! Lots to do there on a nice summer weekend.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,644,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Another place I have heard about is a town in northeastern PA -- Jim Thorpe -- supposed to be very quaint and lots of shops and reastauraunts and things to do.
Ooh, Jim Thorpe! My sister-in-law lived there for several years, right in the cute historic area. My husband and I went to a murder mystery weekend at The Inn at Jim Thorpe and it was a lot of fun. There is lots of opportunity for outdoorsy activities - rafting, kayaking, biking, hiking trails, etc.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 AM

989 posts, read 2,473,684 times
If you wanted to fly, Jetblue is offering $89 each way tickets to Cancun (direct from Dulles). Picked up 3 tickets for $762 yesterday for August...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:30 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,362,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
If you wanted to fly, Jetblue is offering $89 each way tickets to Cancun (direct from Dulles). Picked up 3 tickets for $762 yesterday for August...
Don't get swine flu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia