Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM

131 posts, read 426,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I like what you said, but IMO "if" the Metro takes drivers off the road, it will just promote more sprawl.
how more sprawl? The areas near current metro stations are the least "sprawled" of the whole DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun View Post
Good. They should begin implementing tolls on the other crowded highways, as well.

No one likes taxes or fees, but I don't think it's fair that inner city dwellers who don't even own cares are required to heavily subsidize the automobile system and transportation network. Meanwhile, the public transit system is dismal, so it's not like they get an equal bargain.

Either public transit should be built up and subsidized in a similar fashion to the auto system or we should treat both as if they have to "break even".
I agree the road network is heavily subsidized, but so is public transit! How much higher do you think the current metro rates would be if it wasn't subsidized?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman View Post
I agree the road network is heavily subsidized, but so is public transit! How much higher do you think the current metro rates would be if it wasn't subsidized?
yea even VRE is heavily subsidized. They have numbers posted on their website. I was quite suprised how much it is subsidized. It does not even include monthly travel vouchers provided to Federal employees to pay for the tickets.

Last edited by VRE332; 06-24-2009 at 09:57 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 AM

608 posts, read 1,707,859 times
Quote:
Public transit is subsidized, but it's expected to "break even." The Metro in particular receives very lousy support from governments.

My complaint isn't subsidies so much as the distortions in the market created by policymakers' preferences for the auto/road system. In essence, there's a basic hypocrisy here. Policymakers are willing to dramatically expand the auto/road system with little hesitation and little thought to the costs. However, expanding public transit always results in ridiculous complaints that it should be expected to "break even". Nevermind that few people would use the road system if it were nothing but a patchwork of disjointed stretches of road with high usage fees and very little connectivity.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
the metro will relieve congestion on the road.
In theory. But I doubt you'd really notice the difference.

ps. I'm a fan of metro and an even bigger fan of busses. I take them both all the time--I never drive when I go into the city. But even though I'm a fan let's not kid ourselves that it's going to make a noticeable difference in road congestion.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
how more sprawl? The areas near current metro stations are the least "sprawled" of the whole DC area.
I'm a bit confused by your response here. Since sprawl is essentially defined by how spread out residential areas become from urban cores they are attached to, DC-proper and the inner suburbs would by definition, be the 'least sprawled' (that's simplifying it a bit, but generally true). Maybe you are agreeing.

Subsidies for the auto/road system create more sprawl by hiding both direct transportation costs and hidden external costs from consumers. Those costs get shifted to taxpayers in general, so it appears that living in the deep suburbs is economically more efficient than living closer to the urban core. This creates market distortions which favor suburban sprawl over upward building. (Consider the obvious costs, but also consider the less obvious ones --- like the fact that more governmental services are needed to cover a larger area.)

There are other factors, as well, but I'm of the belief that the vast excess of suburban sprawl in America isn't a coincidence. It's a direct result of our transportation, fee, and taxation systems.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVAtoNC View Post
In theory. But I doubt you'd really notice the difference.

ps. I'm a fan of metro and an even bigger fan of busses. I take them both all the time--I never drive when I go into the city. But even though I'm a fan let's not kid ourselves that it's going to make a noticeable difference in road congestion.
I don't think it's unrealistic at all to expect less congestion. When I lived in the Atlanta metro, traffic in the areas not serviced by the MARTA system was noticeably worse than traffic in areas that were serviced by it. Driving outside the perimeter was completely miserable, but once I got inside the Perimeter (where the MARTA system ran), it was significantly alleviated. Of course, there are various other factors involved in that, too, but I also think the MARTA played a significant role.

However, keep in mind, the DC Metro system is probably the single most expensive public transit system in the nation, so maybe you're right and there's still little economic incentive to ride the Metro.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Public transit is subsidized, but it's expected to "break even." The Metro in particular receives very lousy support from governments.

My complaint isn't subsidies so much as the distortions in the market created by policymakers' preferences for the auto/road system. In essence, there's a basic hypocrisy here. Policymakers are willing to dramatically expand the auto/road system with little hesitation and little thought to the costs. However, expanding public transit always results in ridiculous complaints that it should be expected to "break even". Nevermind that few people would use the road system if it were nothing but a patchwork of disjointed stretches of road with high usage fees and very little connectivity.
I absolutely agree with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakilaTheHun
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertman

I'm a bit confused by your response here. Since sprawl is essentially defined by how spread out residential areas become from urban cores they are attached to, DC-proper and the inner suburbs would by definition, be the 'least sprawled' (that's simplifying it a bit, but generally true). Maybe you are agreeing.

Subsidies for the auto/road system create more sprawl by hiding both direct transportation costs and hidden external costs from consumers. Those costs get shifted to taxpayers in general, so it appears that living in the deep suburbs is economically more efficient than living closer to the urban core. This creates market distortions which favor suburban sprawl over upward building. (Consider the obvious costs, but also consider the less obvious ones --- like the fact that more governmental services are needed to cover a larger area.)

There are other factors, as well, but I'm of the belief that the vast excess of suburban sprawl in America isn't a coincidence. It's a direct result of our transportation, fee, and taxation systems.
I agree again. the poster said "'if' the Metro takes drivers off the road, it will just promote more sprawl." I think the opposite. The expansion of the roads network promotes more sprawl. The metro creates hubs of more dense development, the opposite of sprawl.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
I don't think it's unrealistic at all to expect less congestion. When I lived in the Atlanta metro, traffic in the areas not serviced by the MARTA system was noticeably worse than traffic in areas that were serviced by it. Driving outside the perimeter was completely miserable, but once I got inside the Perimeter (where the MARTA system ran), it was significantly alleviated. Of course, there are various other factors involved in that, too, but I also think the MARTA played a significant role.

However, keep in mind, the DC Metro system is probably the single most expensive public transit system in the nation, so maybe you're right and there's still little economic incentive to ride the Metro.
Interesting point. Do you think that the traffic being lighter inside the perimeter had more to do with a higher percentage of people not being able to afford cars? Also there are far more people inside DC's beltway than Atlanta's perimeter. Do you think that would have anything to do with it?

I used to go to the ATL twice a month but only on the weekends so can't speak too much about Atlanta traffic.

But I will say with certainty that Atlanta's MARTA doesn't go anywhere near as many places as DC's metro.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:59 AM

241 posts, read 987,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I like what you said, but IMO "if" the Metro takes drivers off the road, it will just promote more sprawl.
Well, there's already sprawl everywhere and IMO its natural, with the population increase. What else are you going to do with the population growth?

I know.... lets keep erecting hundreds of new high-rise condo buildings within one city and make people with kids live there. That way everyone can walk next door to work, right. No need for cars and gas, those are evil.

And yes, no need for schools too, we can have the kids learn on the internet.... the schools just take up too much land space.
Kids can just stay home, get education on the internet in the morning, then watch TV for entertainment, then play video games. Why do you need parks, tot lots, libraries, etc? Lets just keep the little buggers at home. Better yet, lets not have kids... no more population increase and no more worries about sprawl.

Please dont take this personally, its not directed at you... its just that the way people talk about sprawl is just plain strange to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia