U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM

29 posts, read 51,659 times
Default Lake Ridge or Burke, VA?

My fiance just found out yesterday that he is remaining stationed at Andrews AF Base for the next 4 years! It's good and bad...we're close to family (WV and PA) but we were excited to move south and that isn't happening...regardless, until we are married, we cannot live in base housing so we are looking for off-base housing.
I know the "commute" is said to "suck" but we are okay with that...he has odd work hours (4pm-whenever in the early AM)...and anything is better than the 106 mi/each way commute he does everyday now.
Because we are getting married within the year, we are looking for something to rent for one year until we can get into base housing.
Our two main areas right now are Burke, VA and Lake Ridge, VA...pros/cons of each??
Our main concerns: SAFE, friendly, more "suburban American family"-ish...somewhere I can WALK with my two year old safely and comfortably!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 AM

446 posts, read 1,100,095 times
Have you tried some parts of Alexandria (zips 22307, 08 and 09) specifically as they'd be closer to the Wilson Bridge and thus, Andrews AFB?

Burke and Lake Ridge have very similar qualities. Burke is a little more upscale in parts. I would just plug the addresses into Google Maps and see which is closer to Andrews.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 AM

2,528 posts, read 5,033,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydensmomma7407 View Post
(4pm-whenever in the early AM!
You mentioned the 4pm-whenever work hours. I think the WW Bridge may be very jammed up (like caseymac said) starting from 2pm crossing into Maryland (especially when people are headed towards the beach). In the inerm, it would not be a wise choice to pick Burke. If you can try to stay in the Virginia side (Alexandria, Springfield etc) it would be a much easier commute.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM

2,507 posts, read 4,761,997 times
Burke is very safe and has better schools. Just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM

628 posts, read 1,093,159 times
No contest--Burke. Nicer neighborhoods, better schools (probably not relevant to you), and no I-95 driving required south of the Beltway. Parts of Springfield and Alexandria good substitutes for Burke. I agree with VRE322 regarding afternoon traffic into MD across the WW Bridge. I used to cross in the opposite direction until 3 yrs ago, and it was always backed up in the VA-MD direction. On Friday afternoons the backup could reach Van Dorn St! Perhaps the new bridge spans have alleviated that some, but I would check traffic reports online over time to make an assessment. If for only a year, why aren't you considering renting in MD, where his commute would be so much easier?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 96,778 times
You could get married now, and get base housing. If you are already living in Burke, the commute for 1 year would be doable.. in my opinion...but Burke/Springfield, not all that far apart! 10 -15 minutes, maybe? Lake Ridge can be really annoying... Old Bridge Road during rush hour, especially when school starts...a real time waster.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:41 PM

3 posts, read 8,519 times
Burke lake, if you are willing to pay more to buy a house
for a nice community

lake jackson isnt that upscale yet

Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,354,295 times
What about Kingstowne / Manchester Lakes area and the communities off of Beulah Road (Landsdowne, I think)? Certainly closer to Andrews than Burke, plus it's safe, near shopping and Metro (if you want to go into DC). It's close to Ft Belvoir and draws military families and a diverse population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia