U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 AM

9 posts, read 58,459 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are looking to buy our first home. I work in Chantilly and he works in Bethesda. So far, we have searched Montgomery, Fairfax and Loudoun counties. It seems like we can get the most for our money in Loudoun county and more specifically, in Brambleton and we would be able to sell easily in 2-5 years. We are seriously considering buying a new townhouse out there (under 400k for a 3 bedroom/2.5 baths/2-car garage/rec room). Would anyone have any idea of how long it would take him to get to work (NIH in Bethesda)? He has the flexibility of getting to work at 9, 10 or 11am. He would look for another job, but it seems like NOVA doesn’t have a big enough need for organic chemists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM

80 posts, read 435,414 times
As you know, in the Northern VA/Washington, DC, many things can impact the commute: day of the week, time of departure, time of the year, whether schools are in session, weather, etc. I would say that generally an Ashburn-NIH commute would be in the 50-70 minute range. If he can start work at 11:00 a.m., he would more easily be on the shorter side of this range.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 30,427 times
Hi Libgyrr,
I live in Ashburn Village and work in Rockville, very near to your husband's work place NIH. Usually I leave from home at 9.30 and reach by 10.20 to 10.30, approximately 50 minutes to 1 hr. The route I commute is, Home --> Loudon County Parkway(3miles) ---> Route 7 (10 miles) ---> 193 GEORGETOWN PIKE (10mlies) ---> 495 Beltway(5 miles) ---> I-270(.5 miles) ---> DEMOCRACY BLVD( 2 miles) ---->OLD GEORGETOWN RD(1miles) ----> 355 Rockville Pike (Work place).

The drive back the same route (ofcourse opposite ) to home starting at work around 7.30pm and reach home by 8.15 to 8.30pm.

Good luck with your home search !

Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 PM

268 posts, read 1,553,265 times
I live very close to Brambleton and under 400K for a townhouse will get you just that, a townhouse. Once you add options, it'll be over that. The only new townhouses I know of are actually condominium townhomes and probably are under 400K. I haven't seen any townhome with a 2 car garage for under 400K anywhere around here. Which townhomes are these?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:57 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,640,844 times
Also this statement may not be so true with the mnarket the way it is now...
Quote:
Brambleton and we would be able to sell easily in 2-5 years
Selling SFH right now isn't easy TH are even harder. Hopefully in 2 years the market will pick up but not enough to make those HUGE profits the area saw in 2004-2005. We have houses here that people have been trying to unload for 2 years..on and off the market etc... the price is now 100k less than what it was worth in spring 2005.

So, if you are doing a TH for profit be careful the market is flooded right now and it had better have ALL the upgrades avail to make it stand out form all the rest.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM

9 posts, read 58,459 times
Thank you! We just bought at the Glen at Goose Creek. We couldn't pass up such a good offer. Hopefully his commute to Bethesda won't be so bad. If so, it still beats renting

Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libgyrrl View Post
Thank you! We just bought at the Glen at Goose Creek. We couldn't pass up such a good offer. Hopefully his commute to Bethesda won't be so bad. If so, it still beats renting
So, how has the commute been now that 4-years have gone by? My husband and i are considering buying a home in brambelton and I commute to Bethesda and he to DC- is it still as bad as people said it was a few years ago?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:02 PM

371 posts, read 730,530 times
If I were planning on selling in 2-5 years, there is no way I'd buy. Realtor fees, taxes, miscellaneous costs wouldn't equal the equity you build in that short time period.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
Default Ashburn to friendship heights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan20191 View Post
So, how has the commute been now that 4-years have gone by? My husband and i are considering buying a home in brambelton and I commute to Bethesda and he to DC- is it still as bad as people said it was a few years ago?
Not sure if you decided to buy in Brambelton, but I was wondering about your commute. My husband and I are in the exact situation (he works in DC and I'm work in Bethesda). We're considering buying a home in Ashburn. How is your commute? I was reading about the Loudoun County Bus as a good option, or maybe I should just drive. Any insight would be helpful - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or