Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:52 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,726,500 times

Advertisements

Looking for cute places to visit within ~ 2-3 hr drive from Loudoun County. You know; nice scenery, maybe something historical and idyllic. I prefer staying away from 95 (who doesn't..). Been to Williamsburg, Harper's Ferry WV, Gettysburg PA and Lancaster PA. Beach at a lake would be fun or nice views of hills. I'm not too picky but would love to see the countryside around here. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 PM

17 posts, read 45,077 times
Charlottesville, VA is a pretty nice place that falls into your criteria. Probably nice to go now during the summer when UVA isn't in full swing. Lots of things to see and do there and it's a reasonable drive down US-29.

Middleburg, VA is another option and in Loudoun County on US-50. It's a touristy/historical little town in the Piedmont. Also, If you don't mind taking I-495 on a weekend or going through the city on US-50, Annapolis, MD is a neat place to visit.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:54 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,890,685 times
Waterford VA

Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,950,778 times
Take 66 to Front Royal and get on the Skyline Drive. Very beautiful scenery and many small towns along the way for side trips. Great antique stores in Luray and New Market. There are 2 places to stop for lunch right on Skyline Drive, Skylands and Great Meadow Lodge. The speed limit is only 35 MPH so you are forced to take a leisurely drive, plenty of pullovers to stop and enjoy the view.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:23 AM

628 posts, read 1,927,351 times
Various wineries up and down the Shenandoah Valley. Helvetia in WVA: Helvetia, WV News. Deep Creek Lake in western MD: http://www.visitdeepcreek.com/. Raystown lake in central PA: Raystown Lake, Pennsylvania - In The Heart of Huntingdon County.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,726,500 times
Thanks guys!! All are great ideas. Keep em coming.

Been to Middleburg and Waterford (loved them, but they're too close to consider a day trip). I was looking into Shenandoah Valley like Margery suggested, I've heard a lot of good things about Skyline Drive.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,865,625 times
Shepherdstown, WV is a really cool little town, if you like the funky-cultural sort of thing.

For raw scenery, the Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia can't be beat (but is about 3-4 hours away from D.C. metro, generally speaking, depending on where you go). The area around it is sort of undeveloped, though.. My roomie and I went to Elkins, WV a couple years ago because I wanted "mountains, dammit!". I think there's a passage in Catherine Marshall's _Christy_ about the Great Smokies sort of swallowing/oppressing/crushing the people who live in their valleys, and that was the sort of feeling I got in Elkins.

Old downtown Elkins was very cool in a mining-town-that-time-forgot sort of way, and even had a cute little coffee shop and a bookstore or two. But a couple times I noticed (usually older) locals checking out my roommate and me from inside their pickups with a sort of "What are you doing here?" vibe about them (that I'm biracial, albeit fairly light, probably didn't help). I did notice a darker-skinned teenage girl hanging out with a bunch of white teens (near the coffee shop, actually), all of whom were getting along apparently very amicably, so chalk it up to paranoia on my part, if you will. In any case, though, I highly recommend the Monongahela NF area for raw scenery but nothing else. (Well, the Kelly Mountain Lodge, where we stayed, did have incredible, incredible, incredible food, but I wouldn't make another eight-hour round trip for it. )

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-29-2009 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-29-2009, 03:58 PM

660 posts, read 1,699,069 times
I'm biased, as I spent three years in Charlottesville, but it's really a great place to visit. You've got Monticello, Ash-Lawn and UVA's Rotunda for history, views of the Blue Ridge, and a really great pedestrianized "mall" downtown with stores, cafes, and outdoor markets on the weekend. Summer is a great time of year to visit, too, because a lot of the students are out of town (and despite being further south, Cville is typically less hot and humid in the summer).

Staunton is a little farther, but it's slightly less touristy and has some things you'd never expect in rural Virginia, like a replica of a Shakespearean theater. You can also visit Woodrow Wilson's birthplace and a museum dedicated to early frontier life in the Shenandoah. There are also some great organic/natural farms in the area where you can buy produce, eggs, and meat straight from the source.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:07 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,225,108 times
Tour Frank Lloyd Wright's famous Fallingwater
http://www.fallingwater.org/

Raft the Lower Yough
http://www.laurelhighlands.com/

Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,359,489 times
Ditto for Fallingwater -- it is awesome and well worth the trip! Also -- Deep Creek Lake in western Maryland in early October -- gorgeous lake and gorgeous leaves and a cute little town. LOVE that place -- but it gets cold EARLY there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia