U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 AM

55 posts, read 167,159 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a recomendation for a local windows contractor. We have 15 windows of various sizes that need replacement. What should I expect to pay? Anyone have a good or bad experience they can relay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 10,394 times
Hi, I'm in the trade myself, and would be glad to come out to look at the house to give you a quote. It's hard to quickly tell what the price would be as we need to know the sizes/kind of the windows and whether you will be providing the material & supplies yourself. Feel free to contact me for more details.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM

715 posts, read 1,870,208 times
I went through BG&E and had my windows replaced....I though, did not pay for the replacement as my homebuilder screwed up the builders grade windows, and it was on my punchlist, so I got better replacement windows for free. For about 45 windows, it was about $25k total. Double hung, low E, argon filled, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 PM

515 posts, read 1,509,427 times
You can spend a little or a lot depending on the quality of replacement window that you choose and the extras that you get. There are cheap vinyl windows for under 200 bucks and fiberglass windows that can run you more than a thousand.

After doing months of research we settled on Eagle windows, made by a division of Andersen, as offering the best quality for the price. These are quality aluminum-clad on the outside (if I remember right), wood on the inside, not cheapo vinyl windows. We spent around 700 a window, installed. This was for a standard double hung window with simulated divided lights (which add a huge amount to the cost). If you don't have to get that look (I am talking about the cross pieces that make a window look colonial), your cost will be significantly less unless your windows are very large (ours are around 33 x 63 and 33x 54).

The only dealer in the area for Eagle is an architect in Kensington named Michael Dent, MGD Design Build. He is wonderful, and his installers are outstanding.

Eagle Window - Premium aluminum-clad wood windows and doors

MGD

There are several window replacement discussion boards on the internet. Just google window replacement discussion board. Your brain will go into overload with all the info.

Hope this helps.

It's a big expense but you will be glad you did it.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:00 AM

55 posts, read 167,159 times
thanks so much for the responses.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,160,110 times
I had Long Fence windows installed in my old house before I moved in. Since I was near a major road, noise insulation was an issue. The salesman assured me that noise reduction was excellent Wrong They are 6 over 6 and 8 over 8 double hung with double low E glass. They pass sound through as if they are wide open even when tightly shut and locked. They were extremely expensive. I am very unhappy with them but can't now afford to replace. I have been told that the actual glass is very thin and even though double, it resonates with sound thus passing it right through. You might want to look into this when considering a purchase if noise is an issue.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:41 AM

52 posts, read 185,021 times
Agree with DC Oldtimer's range of costs. There are many variables: quality, size, materials, and options (multi-pane/divided lights, double glazing, low-e coatings, etc.)

Anderson, and Kolbe & Kolbe are often mentioned as best brands.

Well constructed wood framed windows (with the exterior face in wood or enameled metal or, less desirably, vinyl) give the best appearance for most installations, but the cost for decent quality will be at the higher end -- more than $500 each, maybe more than $1000 each depending on what you need and want.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,302 times
This thread hasn't been active in a little bit, but I wanted to chime in as I have had some past experience with window replacement as well.

I used a company called American Custom Contractors located just north of DC. They did a great job on the windows with the price coming out around the $850 per window installed. Yes it was expense, but seemed reasonable considering the quality. This lines up closely with what DC Oldtimer mentioned.

I was located in the Herndon, VA area, Here is additional ACC info if anyone is interested: ACC in Herndon, VA

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 PM

393 posts, read 1,092,667 times
I had Vinyl Lite install my new windows and sliding glass doors. I was very happy with them. Seems most of my neighbors have hired them, too.

Fairfax Windows, Northern VA Replacement Windows, DC Replacement Windows - Vinyl-Lite

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,536,765 times
I do not understand a need to replace windows.

With only a couple exceptions the windows in my 20+ year old house (1) stay closed year round and (2) work fine - double paned as well.

I cannot imagine replacing them.

[having typed that - a LOT of the houses in my neighborhood HAVE replaced them]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia