Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What happened to Scranbarre
"Now serving 990", he's at the DMV still trying to get his VA tags 4 10.53%
He's somewhere complaining about the outrageous tolls on the GreedWay 4 10.53%
He went to the Macaroni Grill 2 5.26%
He went to buy a Hummer in Centreville 4 10.53%
He's still writing a book in the Quick Reply box 20 52.63%
other [write in] 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Maybe he's out with sidewalk forms and a concrete truck.
hahaha, now i like this idea! forget the notion of going to meetings, just build 'em yourself when nobody's looking. guerilla sidewalk building, you gotta love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Somebody punched his lights out a planning commission meeting.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
He's mourning Michael Jackson, who he secretly had a crush on.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
He's not getting a Hummer in Centreville - most likely giving one in Reston.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Wow! Holy canoli! I was only gone for a few days and the search party was already almost prepared to go out! LOL!

I took a few days off from this sub-forum to do a bit of soul-searching. After my feud with Normie (or more appropriately with Normie's allies as Normie took the high road and didn't really spat much) I finally told myself I'm tiring of bickering with everyone on this forum. All I've done since I started posting on the NoVA sub-forum is rub people the wrong way with my pro-environment/anti-sprawl leanings, and I terribly regret being so confrontational all the time. I have a bit of an inner-attorney inside of me, hence my love for debate. I finally "snapped" a bit personally with the Sterling Park thread because Normie was always the member on here I respected the most, and when I got the sense that she was trying to embarrass me with her thread I realized I must have hit an all-time low for that to have happened.

Slowly yet surely I'm adjusting to life in NoVA. I may not be happy about the lack of sidewalks on many busy roads (despite others telling me I'm crazy and that every road has sidewalks), the dead animals/deer everywhere (just saw a HUGE dead buck today along Route 606 near Village Road), and the fact that so many people down here only care about $$$ and upstaging others to shore up their own insecurities, but such is life. EVERY area has its fair share of faults (as much as the locals may not care to admit), and it is truly pessimistic, asinine, and downright idiotic of me to fixate upon what has been digging into me instead of opening my eyes to the beauty that is around me. Since moving down here I've had the pleasure of hiking a gorgeous small section of the Appalachian Trail near Harper's Ferry, have strolled up and down King Street in Old Town Alexandria, have reconnected my love affair with Moose Munch via the TWO convenient Harry & David stores to my home, have made many interesting new friends, have admired the growing nighttime Reston skyline from my neighborhood, and have begun to fall in love with the city of Washington.

As an auditor by trade and an urban planner at heart I'll continue to think "you're wrong" about people who want to see Loudoun County turn into the next Northern Jersey because they think that is what is going to ultimately lower housing prices and lead to a better quality-of-life in NoVA (has that happened using the sprawl strategy in North Jersey, by the way?). I'll continue to think the "old timers" who fear that Reston is going to become "Arlingtonized" with the advent of mass transit are being nonsensical Chicken Littles---besides, why is Arlington so "evil" in these parts anyways, as I think it's an AWESOME city? I'll continue to flip off anyone who blares the horn at me on my runs when I have to dart into traffic around errantly-parked vehicles along roadsides devoid of sidewalks (cough...the jerks who park all along North Shore Drive adjacent to the pool!). Yes, things like this can really get under my skin.

HOWEVER, I, ScranBarre, am promising to be LESS confrontational from now on here on the NoVA sub-forum. I will be bringing you another new photo tour next weekend (I'll be out-of-town this weekend), I want to heal the rough patches with those who hate my guts (cough...FromVAtoNC....cough...Denton56....cough.. .yankeesfan), and I want to reposition this forum as a destination for potential newbies to turn to for sage advice from we NoVA residents instead of having every other thread disintegrate into a debate on urban planning (except for the one on the Reston Land Use College as that was the entire reason why I started that thread in the first place).

My thoughts are pointless anyways. All they do is anger people. Furthermore I don't even know why I'm so interested in Reston's new master plan as I'm sure it's just going to be overlooked by the county's officials whose palms are inevitably going to be greased by the most prolific (and "generous") developer(s). After all, if Bob Simon's 1960s-era master plan turned the Reston of 2009 FAR AWAY from its original intentions of being a walkable community home to people of all walks of life (i.e. the "walkability" is questionable now with the increasing congestion and the community is getting an upper-middle-class-oriented tilt), then I'm sure the master plan of 2010 will not steer the course for a better Reston in 2050 either.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
He's not getting a Hummer in Centreville - most likely giving one in Reston.
In your dreams.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! Holy canoli! I was only gone for a few days and the search party was already almost prepared to go out! LOL!
Hey where was the fuss when i was MIA from NoVA and the NoVA forum and in Hampton Roads a couple weeks ago and snapping photos of my native 7 cities?

Back in Hampton Roads... temporarily

Sorry ScranBarre, apparently i still hold the title of the black sheep of the NoVA forum. It is a title i happily wear.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Oh come on - I like the bad guys....

Old 06-30-2009, 08:06 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Live Long and Prosper!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:26 PM

56 posts, read 134,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! Holy canoli! <snipped>
See.. he was at Macaroni Grill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia