Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 41,813 times

Advertisements

Considering Clifton, Va or Fairfax Station. How do they compare?
Schools - Clifton Elem and Robinson vs Sangster Elem and Lake Braddock?
Commute to downtown DC?
Daycare and eventually School age child care?
Proximity to grocery store and other retail?
Quality of life?
Real Estate Value?
Neighbors, family friendly, other toddlers for my kids to play with in the future (they are 2 now)?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:12 PM

446 posts, read 1,643,933 times
Before you are sold on commuting to DC from far off destinations like Clifton and Fairfax Station, check out this past Saturday's Post article A Community Built From Scratch - washingtonpost.com.

It talks about folks who stay close-in so they can make friends in their neighborhood and be close to all the restaurants and fun stuff.

You may be sold on Clifton and Ffx, Station and if so, I understand. Either way good luck to you.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,636,819 times
Clifton and Fairfax Station are basically the same place...lots of what people refer to as Clifton is really Fairfax Station.

I don't live there but I've spent a lot of time driving a school bus down there

I doubt there's any daycare nearby....this is an affluent area, not the kind of place where folks run home daycares, I'd say the closest commercial daycare would be Burke...likewise grocery and other retail.

Quality of life?....people pay a LOT of money to live down there.

The lots are mostly 5 acres or larger...your neighbors will be a ways away and there are no sidewalks, just winding country lanes.

I used to do a Clifton Elementary kindergarten run (the kiddies must be released to an adult)....and more often than not, the kids were met by servants, nannies, etc. Most folks need dual incomes to crack those multi-million dollar house notes....

I don't understand the park question....Fountainhead is a "regular" park....Hemlock is owned by GMU and I don't know the exact story with the place. FCPS does scads of field trips to Hemlock and all I know is it's hard to turn a bus around in their tiny parking lot! The small lot precludes a normal park operation it would seem.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM

722 posts, read 1,976,264 times
There is a daycare in "Clifton" called Childtime. However, that particular part of Clifton - on Union Mill Road near Centreville High - may as well be Centreville. In fact, I'm not sure but it may just be a Clifton mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia