U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,756,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
(Hey, wouldn't it be funny if the OP and I were talking about the same house?)
Seriously - we have 3 bedrooms upstairs, but otherwise it really could be the same house. Right down to the lovely furnished guest room that I could never ask anyone to sleep in I totally know what it is like to be scared to do laundry!

At least someone knows where I'm coming from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:52 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,409,845 times
Yeah, price was one of the main reasons I eventually ruled out Falls Church City in my quest for the perfect NoVA town/neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,539,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
Any tips on getting rid of the musty smell in an older house?
Have you tried running a dehumidifier?

This time of year I'm emptying a full tank of water from mine every day.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,895,918 times
I can't imagine renting a house sight unseen!

In fact, as a landlord, I wouldn't rent to someone who hadn't visited the premises. I don't want the hassle of dealing with "renters' remorse"...

Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM

421 posts, read 821,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Have you tried running a dehumidifier?

This time of year I'm emptying a full tank of water from mine every day.
I was just going to suggest that same thing! You'll be surprised how much better your place will smell when you rid it of alot of dampness. I don't think you'll see as many earwigs either. Earwigs and silverfish like dampness. Good luck with your situation. We moved from Bristow to Alabama three years ago and this is the buggiest muggiest place in the world, no matter how new or old your house is. Down here I run my dehumidifier about every other day. I have asthma and can tell a wonderful difference in the quality of my breathing when the humidty is pulled out of the air here in the house.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM

573 posts, read 2,285,537 times
Yuck that sucks. I just discovered a mouse problem which i'm unhappy about to say the least. The dehumidifier sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,351,355 times
For the record I live in hoighty-toighty Reston in a 1970s-era apartment and have to share my abode with numerous spiders in a building that is long overdue for renovation! Don't just assume that "further outside the Beltway = more bang for your buck." I'm paying $1,135/month + utilities on a 1-BR unit (likely to rise next year), and in several years when my salary jumps I'm headed into Arlington. If I can pay just a few hundred dollars more per month for a 1-BR unit in Ballston and still have to put up with these issues it's worth it to have the fringe bonus of living in a nicer, WALKABLE community!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,539,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
I just discovered a mouse problem which i'm unhappy about to say the least.
For the mouse problem you just need to get a cat that is a good hunter and hope that he doesn't love you so much to bring you proof of his hunting abilities.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,131,529 times
>>>Hoighty-Toighty Reston<<< Hahahaha, as if any part of Reston deserves that label. Reston ain't Georgetown or McLean or Great Falls. It's a 40 year old aging community in need of a facelift.

Followed by >>in a building that is long overdue for renovation<<<

You are too funny. Either you live in a hoighty toighty building/area OR you live in one that desperately needs renovation. It can't be both. Sorry.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM

722 posts, read 1,756,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
If I can pay just a few hundred dollars more per month for a 1-BR unit in Ballston and still have to put up with these issues it's worth it to have the fringe bonus of living in a nicer, WALKABLE community!
Our 1 bed in Ballston never had a single bug, or mouse, or bit of mold. It was fantastic.

Unfortunately, apartments in Ballston don't scale up very well. While a 1BR in Ballston might be only a "few hundred" dollars more than its counterpart in Reston, this does not hold true for larger dwellings. 2 BR apartments in the Ballston building we used to live in? They START $400/month more than the considerably larger (3 BR plus guest room in basement) SFH we're renting in Falls Church City now.

These decisions are so, so much easier when you only have yourself (and perhaps your significant other) to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia