U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 PM

722 posts, read 1,750,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Have you tried running a dehumidifier?
No, but I certainly will now! It's totally a "duh" solution, but this is my first time in a musty house. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,505,019 times
Does the basement feel humid? I am guessing that is the source of the problem and that you need to do something to get rid of the moisture down there.

You could try a dehumidifier, but you should probably have someone who knows what they are doing examine the HVAC to make sure that all is well with the equipment.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 PM

628 posts, read 1,722,389 times
Don't buy an ozone machine ("air purifier"). They are not good for you. Look it up.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,115,392 times
Since I hate bad smells, you totally have my sympathy. I would hope that a pest removal company would be able to tell you what is causing the problem of the bugs and the odor.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,678,996 times
Everyone who rents has the right to secure a reasonably good rental without being overwhelmed with a potential health problem within their rented area? The renter pays money for securing a safe location so how do these owners able to rent without a lawsuit being clunked upon them? I truly sypathize with you and your current situation but don't let this owner take advantage of you...Never let anyone take advantage of you...

Stale orders remain in a location that has moisture and very little if any air movement. A commercial graded ionizer and not an "ozone machine" can quickly remove the odors but first the moisture problem should be cured and not masked. Mold and mildue can cause long term problems in a child's developing lungs..... Just leaving a badly damaged home for the next renter is really not enough because a concerned citizen should inform the local authroities of what is going on.

I wonder if you spoke to the owner in how your rights of securing a reasonable plus safe environment for a cost should a renter should reasonably expect.... "Reasonable" is the operative word here because it is reasonble for a renter to expect to receive proper housing for the sum of money for which he/she pays to the owner. Unless it is stated in the written or verbally transferred lease that problems do exist, which seems silly because you are complaining and you justly have a right to complain about problems you should not endure....

Good luck....

Last edited by Synergy1; 07-06-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I wonder if you spoke to the owner in how your rights of securing a reasonable plus safe environment for a cost should a renter should reasonably expect.... "Reasonable" is the operative word here because it is reasonble for a renter to expect to receive proper housing for the sum of money for which he/she pays to the owner. Unless it is stated in the written or verbally transferred lease that problems do exist, which seems silly because you are complaining and you justly have a right to complain about problems you should not endure....
No - all the paperwork says is that there is "no visible mold," which is true as far as I've seen. But that means little.

I certainly agree with you about what constitutes "reasonable." But it's one thing to say that the landlord should take care of this; it's another thing to actually get her to do it. I can call her up and ask, and I will, but she has every right to say no. There is no language in the lease or, as far as I can tell, any law that requires her to deal with "musty smell." It's not a clear-cut thing, like a broken door lock or not having hot water.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:02 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,765,724 times
While you research which dehumidifer to buy, you can get some temporary relief from products sold at ethnic food markets. The best room deodorizers I've ever bought came from Grand Mart (in Dranesville area. Rt. 7 near Thomas Road--next to IHOP). Look near the aisle where they sell the ingredients for kimchee.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Look near the aisle where they sell the ingredients for kimchee.
Maybe I should just open up a jar of kimchee and leave it in the middle of the room That stuff will overwhelm anything! (It is tasty, though...)

Old 07-07-2009, 08:34 AM

3,029 posts, read 10,635,710 times
YES, invest in a good dehumidifer or two. It will do wonders, you will be amazed at how much water you will pull out of your house (esp. basement area) In a few days the air will smell better etc...

Also invest in a couple of good HEPA airpurifiers. Esp for the Babies room, theses are portable (smae as the dehumidifers) and you can move them around the house during the day and keep them in the bedrooms at night. YOu will seriuosly be amazed at how much "fresher" your house will become.

The centipeds...ARGH hate them and they have a smell...the dehumidifier will help with this as well. My in-laws basement (where we sleep!) in upstate NY was over run with thses... I sware they were going to carry me off in hte night!! BUT... the new dehumidifier helped. ALSO get a good pest control spray and spray your foundation , weep holes etc... to keep the critters at bay.

ALSO...one last thing, is there carpet in the house? If so you probably have hardwood floors underneath, contact your land lord and ask if you can remove the carpet... It will make a WORLD of difference, our old house in PA had a streange odor (nit musty..but kinda dusty) when we ripped up the carpet the pad was SOOOO dirty I had literaly 1/4 inch of DIRT covering the hardwood. They were in pretty good shape we didn't refinish ,once you put all your furnituree down and a throw rug...(it covers alot of space!)

GOOD luck. For less than 1000k I bet you can make a tremendous difference.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,562,724 times
I had a coworker who rented and instead of trying to get the landlord to make a needed improvement he would offer to do it himself, save the receipt, and deduct it from the monthly rent. Offer that up. They'll still have to technically pay for the repair, but won't have to put forth the effort to do so. You can also argue that once you leave the improved house will be worth more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
No - all the paperwork says is that there is "no visible mold," which is true as far as I've seen. But that means little.

I certainly agree with you about what constitutes "reasonable." But it's one thing to say that the landlord should take care of this; it's another thing to actually get her to do it. I can call her up and ask, and I will, but she has every right to say no. There is no language in the lease or, as far as I can tell, any law that requires her to deal with "musty smell." It's not a clear-cut thing, like a broken door lock or not having hot water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia