U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 AM

1,430 posts, read 3,482,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
So who are these people and were are they going to from Berekly County and Franklin County?

Common sense says once you hit Sugarload MTN in Maryland (West Montgomery County) you're rural.
Once you pass Leesburg North and West...you're rural.

So if these further out counties are growing...why...and what does that make the green, open space in between?

I always thought Ranson and those areas were rural...but if they are 'sandwiched' does that have any affect on the character of the area even if it is not itself being developed?
You hit rural areas in western Montgomery County because the zoning limits one house per every 25 acres. It's called the Agricultural Reserve and it covers almost 100,000 acres. Same with western Loudoun past Leesburg...for the most part it is zoned for 3, 5 or 10 acre homesites. Most people in the metropolitan region can't afford and don't want a home on that kind of acerage so they move further out to places like Berkeley County WV and Franklin County PA.

For the most part I don't know specifically who they are but I can guess many are people who moved out to have affordable housing while still being able to take advantage of higher paying jobs closer to DC. If you live in Martinsburg or Hapers Ferry you can take the MARC train to Union Station in the morning in under 2 hours. I have a friend from college who does that. I also have several co-workers at my Tysons Corner office who drive in from WV. Have you ever seen the traffic on 270 in the evenings? I can tell you it is bumper to bumper well past Frederick and sometimes even slow through Hagerstown to I-81. It may seem crazy but A LOT of people do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 AM

997 posts, read 1,433,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I don't see that many people who are "afraid" of in fill. They just don't want to see the entire metro area turned into a giant Ballston.
Actually Ballston (and Arlington in general) I think are pretty good examples for really every community to follow, IMO. They include high-rise condos and offices, next to transit, but right outside those urban villages, are single family homes for families. Even if it isn't connected by rail transit, you could still include like a small town center with all the basic necessitates (like a school, grocery store, offices, restaurants, and even a big box store, like Walmart and Target lol) and surround it with small condos, townhomes, and single family homes. I think the point is to maybe reduce the number of trips. I think Brambleton in Loudoun County is a pretty good example of this.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
Actually Ballston (and Arlington in general) I think are pretty good examples for really every community to follow, IMO. They include high-rise condos and offices, next to transit, but right outside those urban villages, are single family homes for families. Even if it isn't connected by rail transit, you could still include like a small town center with all the basic necessitates (like a school, grocery store, offices, restaurants, and even a big box store, like Walmart and Target lol) and surround it with small condos, townhomes, and single family homes. I think the point is to maybe reduce the number of trips. I think Brambleton in Loudoun County is a pretty good example of this.
It is - except as you mentioned, it's unfortunately not next to transit. It's one downside to living here. We are a couple of miles from what will be the last stop on the Silver Line, though.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I drive my car only a few days per week to run errands outside the neighborhood. I usually just load the kids up in the stroller and we walk up to the town center for shopping and eating. Our primary care physician is only four blocks from our house (next to the movie theater). I know several people who live and work in Brambleton, and as the town center gets more built out with more office space, I think there will be more of those opportunities. Even the orthodontist at the town center lives in the neighborhood... but more telling is the fact that the VP of the development group lives here too. The developer has a strong interest in making this model work.

And we've got street lights and sidewalks...lots and lots of sidewalks.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,207,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
It is - except as you mentioned, it's unfortunately not next to transit. It's one downside to living here. We are a couple of miles from what will be the last stop on the Silver Line, though.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and I drive my car only a few days per week to run errands outside the neighborhood. I usually just load the kids up in the stroller and we walk up to the town center for shopping and eating. Our primary care physician is only four blocks from our house (next to the movie theater). I know several people who live and work in Brambleton, and as the town center gets more built out with more office space, I think there will be more of those opportunities. Even the orthodontist at the town center lives in the neighborhood... but more telling is the fact that the VP of the development group lives here too. The developer has a strong interest in making this model work.

The words in red are really enough to sell me on the idea of living there.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM

30,103 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I also have several co-workers at my Tysons Corner office who drive in from WV. Have you ever seen the traffic on 270 in the evenings? I can tell you it is bumper to bumper well past Frederick and sometimes even slow through Hagerstown to I-81. It may seem crazy but A LOT of people do it.

I, too, work in Tyson's and see a West Virginia license plate during my commutes more often than one might think. It's also shocking to realize that people are now commuting from Franklin/Adams/York Counties in South Central PA to the Baltimore and DC Metro Areas! I drove back to PA at around 2:30 PM from Tyson's last Thursday after work, and the entire length of I-270 on up to Frederick was bumper-to-bumper. The Catoctin Highway was very congested as well as all of those Pennsylvanians commuted back home from work! As long as housing prices remain overinflated in NoVA people are going to continue to sprawl themselves out further and further.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-09-2009 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Clarification of Date

Old 07-09-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Care to send some to Reston please since our lackluster HOA doesn't deem them to be necessary here?!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:47 PM

28 posts, read 17,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
You hit rural areas in western Montgomery County because the zoning limits one house per every 25 acres. It's called the Agricultural Reserve and it covers almost 100,000 acres. Same with western Loudoun past Leesburg...for the most part it is zoned for 3, 5 or 10 acre homesites. Most people in the metropolitan region can't afford and don't want a home on that kind of acerage so they move further out to places like Berkeley County WV and Franklin County PA.

For the most part I don't know specifically who they are but I can guess many are people who moved out to have affordable housing while still being able to take advantage of higher paying jobs closer to DC. If you live in Martinsburg or Hapers Ferry you can take the MARC train to Union Station in the morning in under 2 hours. I have a friend from college who does that. I also have several co-workers at my Tysons Corner office who drive in from WV. Have you ever seen the traffic on 270 in the evenings? I can tell you it is bumper to bumper well past Frederick and sometimes even slow through Hagerstown to I-81. It may seem crazy but A LOT of people do it.
Several things.

1) I find it HARD to believe a significant amount of people commute from
WV to Tysons/Arlington/DC.
I find it even harder to believe people from Franklin/Adams County PA commute to NOVA.

Now I can see WV people commuting to the Dulles corridor...but commuting inside the beltway...I don't believe more than a fringe do that because traffic once you hit E. Loudon just is exponentially prohibitive.

As for Franklin and Adams County, well that is PA.
I have NEVER heard of PA being mentioned as part of the DC area....PA is Philly/PIT or maybe NY.
It's above the Mason Dixon line and WAY to far away.

I can see people from York going to Baltimore...not too far.
But Franklin County...come on...THAT IS WAY OUT there in PA...out of this region.
You have to jump 2-3 zones to get there and I just can't see it.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 AM

3,156 posts, read 8,097,470 times
People don't usually commute from WV to DC, but a WV to Dulles corridor commute is not uncommon.

Similar for PA. Few commute from PA to DC, but lots commute from PA to the 270 corridor.

Franklin County, PA was part of the DC television market until a few years ago. Fulton County, PA still is. DC is only about 100 miles (driving, not as the crow flies) to the Fulton County border, closer than Philly or Pittsburgh.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
People don't usually commute from WV to DC, but a WV to Dulles corridor commute is not uncommon.

Similar for PA. Few commute from PA to DC, but lots commute from PA to the 270 corridor.

Franklin County, PA was part of the DC television market until a few years ago. Fulton County, PA still is. DC is only about 100 miles (driving, not as the crow flies) to the Fulton County border, closer than Philly or Pittsburgh.
PA as a whole is a state being devoured from all sides by growth pressures.

In NEPA the Pocono Mountains are now a NYC exurb with thousands upon thousands of daily commuters, and a new commuter rail line is being established between Scranton, PA and Hoboken, NJ to accommodate the increasing number of people who are congesting I-80 attempting to drive 90-minutes each way to work.

The Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton) is a sprawling extension of NJ now.

South Central PA is becoming MD's "escape." Franklin, York, and Adams Counties are teeming with Maryland commuters, and even Lancaster County is getting in on this now as well.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM

1,430 posts, read 3,482,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
Several things.

1) I find it HARD to believe a significant amount of people commute from
WV to Tysons/Arlington/DC.
I find it even harder to believe people from Franklin/Adams County PA commute to NOVA.

Now I can see WV people commuting to the Dulles corridor...but commuting inside the beltway...I don't believe more than a fringe do that because traffic once you hit E. Loudon just is exponentially prohibitive.

As for Franklin and Adams County, well that is PA.
I have NEVER heard of PA being mentioned as part of the DC area....PA is Philly/PIT or maybe NY.
It's above the Mason Dixon line and WAY to far away.

I can see people from York going to Baltimore...not too far.
But Franklin County...come on...THAT IS WAY OUT there in PA...out of this region.
You have to jump 2-3 zones to get there and I just can't see it.
I could really care less what you choose to "believe." I said those people were taking advantage of higher paying jobs CLOSER to DC. Last time I checked the Dulles Corridor was indeed closer to DC. Many more also work along the I-270 corridor in Montgomery County...again job centers CLOSER to DC.

You have made the same arguments over and over again albeit with a different name. I believe it was bluecountry, the last time.

For those of you who don't know...this person lives in Centreville yet argues about how evil urban sprawl is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or