U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 14,990 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'll be moving to Nova soon and am considering places in norther sterling and ashburn to name a couple. How is the commute from Highway 7 in Sterling to Tysons Corner? How is the commute from Ashburn to Tysons using the Toll road? I appreciate your responses, general or specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
The toll road is probably your best bet, but Sterling to Tysons using Rt. 7 isn't that bad, IMO. Probably take you 30-45 minutes (depending on what time you travel and traffic conditions).But taking the same route from Ashburn would not be fun.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:11 PM

2,005 posts, read 3,527,842 times
Highway 7 from Sterling to Tysons is a conga line and not only during rush hour. Ashburn to Tysons via the Toll road is a relatively painless commute by DC area standards, depending on where in Ashburn and where in Tysons should take about 30 or 40 minutes.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:44 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Actually I must say that Route 7 isn't quite as bad as I had feared it would be. I live in Reston and commute daily to work in Tyson's Corner. I normally work 6 AM-2:30 PM, so obviously I miss "peak hours," but even when I was working 7 AM-3:30 PM traffic wasn't bad at all. The morning commute is almost always a breeze. The afternoon commute is much more stressful because people like to "hang out" and hog the left-hand lane on Route 7 West between Tyson's in Reston, meaning that inevitably YOU will end up with an angry business professional on a cell phone in a Mercedes-Benz riding your rear bumper (as I had done to me today).

I might actually suggest looking into Reston if this is going to be a permanent move/career, as you will be able to take the Metro from Reston to Tyson's in a few years (as I plan to do assuming I'm not once again relocated). I know the Silver Line will eventually be extended out into Loudoun County as well, but I'm unsure as to where the stops will be in relation to Sterling/Ashburn.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:57 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,593 times
The main concern for choosing Ashburn is that you've got to either take the Greenway or Route 28 to the Toll Road - the Greenway is ridiculously expensive, and Route 28 is free but the main artery to it from Ashburn, Waxpool Road, is increasingly clogged as Greedway tolls continue to rise. But either is preferable to taking Route 7 from Ashburn to Tysons.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Actually I must say that Route 7 isn't quite as bad as I had feared it would be.
I'm glad your commute isn't bad, but Scran--how come a mass transit buff like you isn't taking the bus?

May I recommend Rt. 574: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/574.pdf You may think your work hours are too early for taking the bus, but look again. There are 2 stops in Tysons, both of which have drop offs before 6 a.m.

Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm glad your commute isn't bad, but Scran--how come a mass transit buff like you isn't taking the bus?

May I recommend Rt. 574: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/pdf/574.pdf You may think your work hours are too early for taking the bus, but look again. There are 2 stops in Tysons, both of which have drop offs before 6 a.m.
Unfortunately my position requires me to occasionally leave Tyson's during the course of the workday to head to another client or to our home office. Since I usually don't know about this until I actually get to work I'd be up the creek without a paddle, so to speak, if I were to take the bus to Tyson's to work only to wonder how I'd get somewhere else without transit service at 11 AM. When the Metrorail is completed it wouldn't be too complicated to just hop a train back from Tyson's to Reston, as one of the stations will be right next to my home (where I can grab my car if need be). I suppose I could always just grab a bus back from Tyson's to Reston as well and then walk back to my place from the town center to get my vehicle, but I'd just much prefer rail over the bus.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 2,528 times
Slugging commute to Tysons Corner, VA is available now with Sameride app for iPhone and Android.
Download links and details are at www.sameride.com.
Sameride app is free to download and use.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:04 PM

2,420 posts, read 1,038,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklymchuk View Post
Slugging commute to Tysons Corner, VA is available now with Sameride app for iPhone and Android.
Download links and details are at www.sameride.com.
Sameride app is free to download and use.
Thread is from 2009.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia