U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,154,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
See if you can get 7 on your side or some local news station to cover this story. This will surely help - these agencies don't want bad publicity and are usually scared to death over what comes up in the news about them.
Channel 4 has already covered it (I don't know when it will air - I will let you know when I find out).

"7 on your side" states that they only deal with consumer issues, not civil or criminal matters, but I emailed them anyway, plus sent a copy of the same email to their news department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,859 times
I received this email from the Executive Director of AWLA earlier today in response to a message I sent re. the situation and to advocate on behalf of Zeus and Dante. Judge ruled that Zeus is dangerous- BS in my opinion. On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Kay Speerstra wrote: Thank you for your note. We have heard from several people who know him from the dog park and are concerned about him. The ACPD was the agency that pursued this case, we were just the ones with physical custody. The hearing was held today and the judge did decide that Zeus was a dangerous dog. We were not a part of the case so I can’t tell you why that was her decision, but the League is bound by it, of course. There are some specific next steps that we need to work with the owner on, and that is going on now. We also hope that the dog can be returned soon. Kay Speerstra Executive Director

Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny906 View Post
I received this email from the Executive Director of AWLA earlier today in response to a message I sent re. the situation and to advocate on behalf of Zeus and Dante. Judge ruled that Zeus is dangerous- BS in my opinion.
Thank you so much for writing, and for posting this information.

It is TOTAL BS. This case should have been thrown out IMMEDIATELY.

I'm up for picketing the officer's home, and/or the Judge's home.

Anyone with me?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:42 PM

~ Director of Humane Society of the United States (not a personal contact, but a Facebook friend at least)
~ A very visible, Arlington-based employee of HSUS (we talked on Match.com awhile back )
~ Director of Animal Control of Alexandria (He's given me advice in the past about my dog)

I also pointed out to the HSUS contacts, that given they will be holding a conference in D.C. later this month, it would be prudent of them to speak out regarding this case.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:51 AM

UPDATE:
Officer pressing charges: Detective Chris Dengeles
Judge: Dorothy H. Clarke

Judge in case has NO credibility, and is known for making "rash" and "bizarre" judgments! Impeach Judge Dorothy Clarke

CHANNEL 4 NEWS VIDEO of this case: Dog's Day in Court | NBC Washington (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Dog_s_Day_in_Court_Washington_DC.html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,004,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
UPDATE:
Officer pressing charges: Detective Chris Dengeles
Judge: Dorothy H. Clarke

Judge in case has NO credibility, and is known for making "rash" and "bizarre" judgments! Impeach Judge Dorothy Clarke

CHANNEL 4 NEWS VIDEO of this case: Dog's Day in Court | NBC Washington (http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Dog_s_Day_in_Court_Washington_DC.html - broken link)
The video said the officer had his shirt torn and a couple puncture wounds on his stomach. It probably got infected, that is why he had to seek medical attention 2 days later. Give me a break, if this was a vicious dog, I think he would have done more than tore his shirt and caused a surface wound.

Zeus needs a good belly scratching and a bone, how was he to tell that the german shepherd and the scary men on his porch weren't the bad guys?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:22 PM

273 posts, read 1,347,754 times
So it appears the owner does have a lawyer. That is good. You could set up a donation fund or something and I bet people would help, I would.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
The video said the officer had his shirt torn and a couple puncture wounds on his stomach. It probably got infected, that is why he had to seek medical attention 2 days later. Give me a break, if this was a vicious dog, I think he would have done more than tore his shirt and caused a surface wound.

Zeus needs a good belly scratching and a bone, how was he to tell that the german shepherd and the scary men on his porch weren't the bad guys?
Yep, exactly. Zeus was just protecting his family.

(Plus if that fatass didn't have his gut hanging out, the shirt probably would have been the only thing damaged )

Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
So it appears the owner does have a lawyer. That is good. You could set up a donation fund or something and I bet people would help, I would.
Yes. And a donation fund would help, however, I (and a few others) are spending a LOT of time tackling the larger issues here. But I will ask if anyone else reading about this story on the listserv would be willing to start that up.

Sadly, one judge's ruling is all it takes. There is no official appeals process in Virginia for these kinds of charges. Which is why a number of us are trying to make an alternative action plan.

One woman involved has filed an "abuse of power" charge with the Arlington police, and the investigation reported that it was not ACPD that was in charge of the case, but actually the Animal Welfare League of Arlington.

However, AWLA has been saying all along that the ACPD was in charge.

So there's a lot to figure out here.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
I wanted to jump in here. I'm a member of the Board of Directors of the Animal Welfare League of Arlington (AWLA). There were a few inaccuracies in the initial posting in this string, and I wanted to set the record straight. It is true that Zeus was at the AWLA, but I think it's important to note that he was only there because the ACPD was pursuing "dangerous dog" legal action against the owner of the dog. We take many bite reports, and rarely do they result in any kind of face-to-face involvement with the shelter. "Dangerous dog" labeling is something that happens very infrequently and subjects the dog and its owners to specific rules (e.g., a special collar clearly noting that the dog is a "dangerous dog"). Whether or not Zeus, or any dog, is labeled a "dangerous dog" is not something that is decided by the AWLA; it is decided in a court of law. We were simply holding him until the court makes a determination, at the request of the police department. Now that the court has made its decision, Animal Control and the owner will work to fulfill the requirements set out by the regulations. We believe that this will be done quickly and efficiently. One item in the original posting that was particularly troubling to me was the statement that the owner is being charged $45/day for holding him. We, like most shelters, do assess a board fee, but that fee is $25/day. More importantly, each case is evaluated based on the circumstances, so it is often not applied in full or at all. The situation with Zeus was no different; we worked with the owner and did not assess the entire amount. In my time at the shelter, there is one thing I have learned. Anytime you work with animals and the people in the community in which they reside, you will run into situations that can be challenging and emotional. This sounds like it is one of those circumstances. If you do have questions on what I have posted, please don't hesitate to contact me at board@awla.org. Mearth—it sounds like you found the original message on another dog park board. I'd like to post this clarification there as well; can you send me the details, so I can do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or