U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2009, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Sterling, VA
1,059 posts, read 2,622,311 times
Reputation: 613

Advertisements

Try homesdatabase.com, it has a map feature which will let you control your search. I would suggest the Berryville or Boyce areas in Clarke County, it is a beautiful area and the people are "downhome" and nice. Berryville is about 25-30 miles from the FAA in Leesburg so it is a doable commute. I also agree with those advising renting until you get to know the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2009, 07:28 AM
 
20 posts, read 26,754 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
Try homesdatabase.com, it has a map feature which will let you control your search. I would suggest the Berryville or Boyce areas in Clarke County, it is a beautiful area and the people are "downhome" and nice. Berryville is about 25-30 miles from the FAA in Leesburg so it is a doable commute. I also agree with those advising renting until you get to know the area.
Hey thank you for the tip! I will look at this right now. Yeah where I come from people are pretty "downhome" as well so I would like that atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
 
Location: TX
3,029 posts, read 10,637,593 times
Reputation: 1362
check out the Windsor apts in Leesburg they are off of Rt 15 and Battlefield. They have community pool and do have lots of families that live there. Not as "homey feeling" as a TH section in a neighborhood, but they are in a nice location and are fairly big. (you could rent for 6mo while searching out other places)

There are alot of older TH that are around Leesburg elem (a good location) and again you might be able
to get one of those.

Search the on line newspapers.... Home Loudoun Times
Home Loudoun Times

And yes look at Purceville it is a nice little town and very close so your commute wont be that bad.

With a small child and another on hte way I would try to stay in either or Purceville, you have alot of commuinty services near and shopping etc for your wife and activites with the community centers pools libraries etc...for your litttle one.
I wouldn't want to be 20 minutes away from a grocery store etc...with a 1 year old and a newborn...but thats just me.

The neighborhoods that are over by the Leesburg exec. airport all all nice as well.
There are apts over on ft evans... south east(?) side of the Outlet mall Potomac station? that are nice as well
Also over by catoctin elem,(off of catoctin and marlow) that area has quite a bit of lower income...but it's alot safer and less crime than by the wlamart.
The apts/tH over on Clubhouse drive...they back up to the golf course

Really the only "bad" part of Leesburg is the one you mentioned...ft evans, plaza over by the walmart.

Good luck.

We loved Leesburg (going back in 2 weeks for a visit!) it's a wonderful small town and full of families and lots of activies for kids etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM
 
20 posts, read 26,754 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
check out the Windsor apts in Leesburg they are off of Rt 15 and Battlefield. They have community pool and do have lots of families that live there. Not as "homey feeling" as a TH section in a neighborhood, but they are in a nice location and are fairly big. (you could rent for 6mo while searching out other places)

There are alot of older TH that are around Leesburg elem (a good location) and again you might be able
to get one of those.

Search the on line newspapers.... Home Loudoun Times
Home Loudoun Times

And yes look at Purceville it is a nice little town and very close so your commute wont be that bad.

With a small child and another on hte way I would try to stay in either or Purceville, you have alot of commuinty services near and shopping etc for your wife and activites with the community centers pools libraries etc...for your litttle one.
I wouldn't want to be 20 minutes away from a grocery store etc...with a 1 year old and a newborn...but thats just me.

The neighborhoods that are over by the Leesburg exec. airport all all nice as well.
There are apts over on ft evans... south east(?) side of the Outlet mall Potomac station? that are nice as well
Also over by catoctin elem,(off of catoctin and marlow) that area has quite a bit of lower income...but it's alot safer and less crime than by the wlamart.
The apts/tH over on Clubhouse drive...they back up to the golf course

Really the only "bad" part of Leesburg is the one you mentioned...ft evans, plaza over by the walmart.

Good luck.

We loved Leesburg (going back in 2 weeks for a visit!) it's a wonderful small town and full of families and lots of activies for kids etc...
Thanks 5stones! I will check out these papers and keep an eye out for good deals on rent up there. It seems this will be an even bigger adventure than I thought! I really appreciate everyones' comments and welcome any other thoughts that people may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 AM
 
3,164 posts, read 6,116,511 times
Reputation: 1264
Purcellville is a great little town. Two large grocery stores and quite a few restaurants. I live west of there, Lovettsville, which is really small. Purcellville is fairly close to Leesburg, 15 or 20 minutes. Lovettsville is a bit farther out, as is Round Hill and Hillsboro, but they're all nice little towns. If I were you, I'd look in Purcellville where you are likely to find a nice townhouse to rent. The smaller towns have fewer rentals, but all the of them are within 30 to 40 minutes of Leesburg, with Purcellville being the closest.

It's beautiful out here, and the people are so friendly. Great schools too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 03:44 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,523 times
Reputation: 12
30 minute commute? You cannot commute from west of Leesburg to Dulles Airport in traffic in 30 minutes. As a matter of fact, it takes longer than 30 min. to get from Purcellville/Lovettsville to Leesburg in the morning. Avoid Sycamore Hill community (close to Outlet Mall) as it has already become a heavily rented community of folks who do not care to maintain their properties and way too close to the subsidized apartment complex next door! Many of those homes are rented/occupied by multiple families and the community is having a heck of a time getting the County to enforce the Zoning restrictions. Consider renting in nearby Potomac Station, several different types of townhomes that might be affordable. There are both starter townhome and luxury townhomes. Great amenities too! There are also a couple of apt complexes, but if you are not set on Leesburg, the apt. complex near University Center and Rt. 7 (Ashburn area, just west of Rt. 28) is a very nice community and worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 03:48 PM
 
5 posts, read 10,523 times
Reputation: 12
Ironically, the worst side of Leesburg is the side adjacent to the Leesburg police department. Open air drug activity, theft, vandalism, and most recently a couple of murders. Yes, that type of thing can happen anywhere, but it tends to always be centrally located to subsidized apartment complexes - just the kind that are located up and down Plaza Street and Edwards Ferry Road. Be careful - not a great place to raise a family. Even the single family homes in Exeter that are closest to this area bear the brunt of neighborhood crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Ashburn, VA
989 posts, read 2,465,396 times
Reputation: 637
In addition to Purcellville, Round Hill and Berryville (out Rt 7) you may also want to consider Hillsboro, VA and Harpers Ferry, WV and Charles Town, WV (out Rt 9). If your commute is only to Leesburg, these areas are definitely commutable. You will be sure to get more bang for your buck. And WV may not be too bad at least until your kids start school. Then I'd move back into VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
 
20 posts, read 26,754 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
In addition to Purcellville, Round Hill and Berryville (out Rt 7) you may also want to consider Hillsboro, VA and Harpers Ferry, WV and Charles Town, WV (out Rt 9). If your commute is only to Leesburg, these areas are definitely commutable. You will be sure to get more bang for your buck. And WV may not be too bad at least until your kids start school. Then I'd move back into VA.
Yeah it would be while before the kids would be going to school so WV could be an option. Do you all think that I might be able to find something to rent for around $1000 or less in one of these areas? I am thinking of sacrificing for the first year and getting into a small place just so we have a roof. Now again, I really want to make sure that the neighborhood is not asking for problems but I do not need the Ritz either. Thank you all again for the info! It is really helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top