Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM

20 posts, read 30,512 times

Advertisements

I am completely new to this forum and have done some reading and searching to learn as much as I can. I like it so far by the way. Very informative. Anyway, I am probably going to be moving to the Leesburg area for a job and wanted to know about the area listed in the thread title in particular. There are some townhomes in that area (around the E Market St and Fort Evans NE intersection) that might be a good deal if this is not a horrible part of town. I will be moving with a family so it is important to me. If I were moving alone I wouldn't be so worried but you know how that goes. Any info would be great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
that are is not the best, not the worst (which is just up Ft Evan and Plaza) where the section 8 HUD apts are. Petty crime, cars burglies, domestic calls etc... nothing like huge inter city problems, but i'd look elsewhere

I look into other neighborhoods (esp since you'll have kids with you) TH in Exeter, Potomac crossing for example. North of Edwards Ferry is all pretty nice and family orientated.

What is your budget?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
that are is not the best, not the worst (which is just up Ft Evan and Plaza) where the section 8 HUD apts are. Petty crime, cars burglies, domestic calls etc... nothing like huge inter city problems, but i'd look elsewhere

I look into other neighborhoods (esp since you'll have kids with you) TH in Exeter, Potomac crossing for example. North of Edwards Ferry is all pretty nice and family orientated.

What is your budget?
The budget part of things is probably the hardest. I will be the only one working as my wife has a second on the way and our first is just now a year old. I am trying to only think of my salary when looking for a place it seems that the more I look, the more I see that my salary will not be that great (at least for the first year). I am supposed to start at $42000 with the guarantee that it will pretty much double within a year or so. It worries me that the only places I see online are extremely expensive or in the "ghetto" so to speak. I have nothing against the "rougher" parts of town individually, but with a family my thoughts have changed significantly. The job is certainly a good one though and worth the move. I will look into those areas you mentioned. Thanks for the info and please shoot any other suggestions my way.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Can you rent somewhere until your income increases? I would not move a family into the area where you mentioned. I was by there today and it's ok in the daytime, but I wouldn't want my family around there after dark. Yes, it is pretty ghetto. You might do better heading north out of Leesburg. Housing in cheaper in Purcellville and Round Hill and even farther out, West Virginia. (I am assuming that you will be working in Leesburg.)

What kind of job has a guarantee of doubling your salary in a year? That's awesome. Around here, the highest paying jobs for new college grads are teaching, with a beginning salary of $45,000 (working 3/4 of a year) and computer engineers beginning in the high $50's and up. Most government jobs start new college grads at a GS 5 or a GS 7, or about $35,000 for a GS 5 and $42,000 for a GS 7. Some agencies have slightly higher beginning pay scales, those in intelligence and law enforcement.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Denton,

Thanks for the reply. I would definitely love to rent first until things smooth out income wise. I may be a little "optimistic" on the pay scale thing. I am really new to the whole government scene but will hopefully controlling air traffic in VA. The payscale really does not double until you are closer to fully certified, which would take longer than a year....so I guess maybe renting a little longer then?

Anyway, I would certainly commute if the route to and from work wouldn't kill me. I am not used to that kind of thing where I am from. As I said, family is the most important thing, so with that starting income what places do you think I ought to look? Again, thanks for the info.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
As luck would have it I currently earn a $42,000 salary myself, so I can hopefully provide you with a bit of insight as to how difficult it will be to afford to live in the over-priced housing market of Northern Virginia!

I just mapped out a new budget for myself now that I definitively know each one of my paychecks will be roughly $1,135 (gross) for a whopping $2,270/month.

$2,270 Monthly Net Income
($1,135) Rent
($100) Internet/Cable
($150) Car Insurance
($200) Groceries
($100) Utilities
($100) Gasoline
($200) Student Loan Payments (Kicking in Soon)
$285 For Incidentals (Thankfully my parents are generous enough to be making my car payments and cell phone payments for my first year until I receive a substantial raise to bring me out of poverty).

If you're trying to raise a family on that same salary alone you're going to be draining all of your savings for sure, as I'd assume you'd be looking to rent at least a 2-BR unit, have higher grocery expenditures, have to buy diapers/formula, etc. My advice would be to pick up a second temporary job bartending on Friday and Saturday nights until you get that coveted raise. I'm thinking myself of picking up a Friday-Sunday afternoon/evening job at the Home Depot near my home in Reston because I have four years of great sales experience at Lowe's already and would probably be making around $11/hr. for that reason. It won't be "fun" to work 40 hours per week as an auditor followed by 24 hours per week in retail sales while every other 20-something in Reston is driving around in a BMW or Audi, but then again I wasn't born into affluence either.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As luck would have it I currently earn a $42,000 salary myself, so I can hopefully provide you with a bit of insight as to how difficult it will be to afford to live in the over-priced housing market of Northern Virginia!

I just mapped out a new budget for myself now that I definitively know each one of my paychecks will be roughly $1,135 (gross) for a whopping $2,270/month.

$2,270 Monthly Net Income
($1,135) Rent
($100) Internet/Cable
($150) Car Insurance
($200) Groceries
($100) Utilities
($100) Gasoline
($200) Student Loan Payments (Kicking in Soon)
$285 For Incidentals (Thankfully my parents are generous enough to be making my car payments and cell phone payments for my first year until I receive a substantial raise to bring me out of poverty).

If you're trying to raise a family on that same salary alone you're going to be draining all of your savings for sure, as I'd assume you'd be looking to rent at least a 2-BR unit, have higher grocery expenditures, have to buy diapers/formula, etc. My advice would be to pick up a second temporary job bartending on Friday and Saturday nights until you get that coveted raise. I'm thinking myself of picking up a Friday-Sunday afternoon/evening job at the Home Depot near my home in Reston because I have four years of great sales experience at Lowe's already and would probably be making around $11/hr. for that reason. It won't be "fun" to work 40 hours per week as an auditor followed by 24 hours per week in retail sales while every other 20-something in Reston is driving around in a BMW or Audi, but then again I wasn't born into affluence either.
I know what you mean about the affluence thing! Yeah, I am not sure how, but I really want to make it work up there. I am thinking if I am able to commute a bit further then I could get a better rent rate (considerably hopefully). While I am waiting for this job I am trying to stock up the bank account so that I will have something to dip into until the raises come into sight. It seems as though Reston is just as bad as Leesburg in terms of rent. I am guessing that I am going to have to move out 30+ minutes from Leesburg to drop the rent at all. Fun fun fun!!!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Is your job in Leesburg? If so, you can find cheaper rent by going farther out, plus it's beautiful out there! Head west young man, head west.

I live out in the boonies, and we have several pilots in our neighborhood who commute to Dulles. A 30 minute commute is nothing around the DC area. Most people would LOVE to have a 30 minute commute.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:11 PM

BTW, congrats on the new job. My pilot neighbor (American Airlines) said that Dulles is desperate for more air traffic controllers. He said that they just can't hire and train them fast enough.

What qualifications do people need to become an air traffic controller?

Old 07-09-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
BTW, congrats on the new job. My pilot neighbor (American Airlines) said that Dulles is desperate for more air traffic controllers. He said that they just can't hire and train them fast enough.

What qualifications do people need to become an air traffic controller?
Thanks for the congrats! In terms of qualifications, one must either have been a military controller, have gone to school for an aviation related degree, or have a bachelor's and some progressively more responsible work history. I fall under the third category. While I work for American Airlines right now, I have no past controlling experience. It has been an adventure so far to say the least (and I am not even in training yet!!). And yes, the job is in the heart of Leesburg.

About moving out west, I am all for that! I would love to be in the country as much as possible and still not have to travel an hour plus. What are some good starting cities? Maybe I will look more on Google Maps to find some surrournding areas. That is what I have been doing so far and coming up with not a whole lot. Thank you again very much for the info!

Last edited by guitarman710; 07-09-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia