Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,389,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacentranquility View Post
The cops here are ridiculous I have lived in California and they would have never pulled someone over for something like 5 mph.
Even though you weren't exactly driving like a bat out of hell, you were admittedly going over the speed limit. And probably 99% of us drive at least 5mph over the speed limit on any given day.

But if you call to file a complaint that you were given a ticket for going over the posted speed limit - they will probably laugh in your face.

Quote:
This county is so low in crime and the county has more of presence.
This could be why the crime rate is relatively low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 12:13 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
The cops here are ridiculous I have lived in California and they would have never pulled someone over for something like 5 mph. I just got pulled over and the cop said your listed as a non-licensed driver because I have a license out of state and this was the reason for a 30 minute stop and then proceeded to feel like a idiot. I mean my car is a Grand Am and not a BMW I am guessing the profiling is huge here also if you don't drive a 60k car then you should be harassed because you are a criminal for staying out of debt. This county is so low in crime and the county has more of presence and the cops are just plain bored out of their minds. I am going to make a formal complaint tomorrow.
I have a pretty cheap car (cheaper than a Grand Am for sure) and haven't had any issues with being pulled over. The non-licensed thing sounds weird to me though... you did have a license, just not in Virginia.

As for pulling people for 5mph over, they usually don't do that unless there is something other reason (for example, going 5 mph over in a school zone, or going 5 mph over in rain or inclement weather--technically they can give you a ticket for going the speed limit if conditions don't warrant it). Was the ticket for 5 mph over or did your speedometer say 5 mph over? It could be your speedometer is off.

For what it's worth, I was pulled over in LA for going 5 mph over (but I wasn't given a ticket... they did take a good look at my car though, so I think they were looking for a similar car. It wasn't CHP either, it was LA county Sheriff's Dept.)

Good luck with the complaint, maybe you will get some answers. (I would ask about a 30 min stop for an out of state license... that just sounds odd).

Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
Quote:
The police are money hungry corrupt. I have had multiple occasions where the cop was stressed and wanted to enforce his bravado. This is not law enforcement it is a stress attack on citizens and needs to be stopped because people don't feel safe they feel like a shark is chasing tuna.
What are the reasons for being stopped on multiple occasions? I would think this would be a rare event, unless you consistently drive over the limit.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
The police are money hungry corrupt. I have had multiple occasions where the cop was stressed and wanted to enforce his bravado. This is not law enforcement it is a stress attack on citizens and needs to be stopped because people don't feel safe they feel like a shark is chasing tuna. The court system is full of HOV violators and when you go it is 95% Hispanic and poverish citizens. I saw 30k worth of tickets in 35 minutes of court proceedings. I have never been anywhere in the world where this is the case. Have you looked at the undercover cop cars and motorcycles, these cops are riding in style with and know that they need to produce more ticket revenue. If you haven't been harassed by NOVA Cops then you have been stuck in there ticket traffic jams on 66 of 495 its a daily event. Oh and do not miss your inspection by one day cause you will be targeted the minute you start off on the road. If you fail inspection then put your car in the garage cause these suckers will end up walking on your driveway and getting that ticket book out.
I definitely agree with you. I respect law enforcement and glad we have them, but the cops in this state are overzealous when it comes to speed enforcement, especially in Fairfax County. I can definitely tell a difference between NC and VA when it comes to speed enforcement. I may see maybe 1 or 2 cops in NC, but as soon as I cross into VA, I see like 10 cops within a 15-30 mile stretch of I-95. Those speed enforced by aircraft signs I think are true. I've seen the Fairfax County Police helicopter circling I-66 on one occasion before, now I don't know if they were checking for speeders, but I've definitely seen their helicopter.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

This could be why the crime rate is relatively low.
I think this has more to do with demographics more than anything. Fairfax County affluent county with a highly education population and low poverty, so naturally they probably wouldn't have a lot of crime. I think that's the main reason the police are so big on speed enforcement because there isn't much going on in the way of crime.

I wish there was a way they could cross in PG County and SE DC and help the officers in those jurisdictions. That would give them something to do in terms of fighting crime. Then again I guess you would probably upset the tax payer in Fairfax County, lol, but they would definitely stay busy.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpatova View Post
I used to think the same thing until I learned that the law says you must slow down when passing a police/emergency vehicle on the shoulder -OR- you have to move over to the left lane if possible. It's to protect the officer standing next to the vehicle(s).
True. However, that law is relatively new while this problem has been going on for far longer.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
I've not noticed the Fairfax County police being unusually tough on speeding. Compared to Alexandria where there's apparently one cop per resident they're pretty laid back. I think the only time they really do much speed enforcement is when some local group of residents complain. They don't seem to look at it as a revenue source like the city of Alexandria or the well documented extreme shakedowns practiced by the Falls Church cops on Route 7.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 PM

323 posts, read 508,766 times
If you want to move to a state with zero traffic enforcement (aside from the automated variety), move to Maryland. The downside is that everyone there consequently drives like an idiot.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
If you want to move to a state with zero traffic enforcement (aside from the automated variety), move to Maryland. The downside is that everyone there consequently drives like an idiot.
Can't argue with you there. Every time I went to Temple Hills or Bolling AFB I could count on at least a couple of near-misses.

Quote:
As for pulling people for 5mph over, they usually don't do that unless there is something other reason (for example, going 5 mph over in a school zone, or going 5 mph over in rain or inclement weather--technically they can give you a ticket for going the speed limit if conditions don't warrant it). Was the ticket for 5 mph over or did your speedometer say 5 mph over? It could be your speedometer is off.
I think you usually have a 5 mi cushion in most spots. My county's newspaper publishes the people who have been found guilty of traffic violations every Sunday. I've looked at most of them and I haven't seen one conviction for 5mph or less over the limit. I will give VA one thing. Their tickets are cheaper than Kentucky's.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Default New Deputy of Ffx Co Pkwy

Did Fairfax County deputize Albert Haynesworth to patrol the Parkway? Cause apparently he was out working today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia