U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:59 PM

6,584 posts, read 10,892,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Well wherever it goes, it does seem to be more police on the streets handing out tickets. Can you give us a clue to where it goes?
In Va it goes into a state education fund. This could have changed somewhat over the years but I know for a fact the agencies see very little, if any revenues, from tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 PM

28 posts, read 17,266 times
I get really tired of people who say "well than obey the law"

NOVA has some of the WORST traffic in the country.
Roads are backed up and congested 30+ miles from the CBD, and this is NOT just the highways but also the bacj roads.

Now if somebody is doing 90 in a 40 that's one thing.

However, I really do get annoyed and angry when I see cops constantly on
1) The FCPW
2) The 29 FCPW underpass
3) The 29 28 underpass

This area has some of the worst traffic...and it's just a nuissance and unnecessary that the FEW spots in the county that are not congested the cops are there "cherry picking" for money.

What do they want...people to be going 5 MPH?
Worse is how the Cops on the side of the road create and exaberrate traffic congestion with rubber necking.

You don't win public support and are NOT helping solve the counties traffic problems by contributing to delays.

God forbid...God forbid traffic flow at what the roads were designed for.
65 MPH on the parkways is what it was designed for.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
I get really tired of people who say "well than obey the law"

NOVA has some of the WORST traffic in the country.
Roads are backed up and congested 30+ miles from the CBD, and this is NOT just the highways but also the bacj roads.

Now if somebody is doing 90 in a 40 that's one thing.

However, I really do get annoyed and angry when I see cops constantly on
1) The FCPW
2) The 29 FCPW underpass
3) The 29 28 underpass

This area has some of the worst traffic...and it's just a nuissance and unnecessary that the FEW spots in the county that are not congested the cops are there "cherry picking" for money.

What do they want...people to be going 5 MPH?
Worse is how the Cops on the side of the road create and exaberrate traffic congestion with rubber necking.

You don't win public support and are NOT helping solve the counties traffic problems by contributing to delays.

God forbid...God forbid traffic flow at what the roads were designed for.
65 MPH on the parkways is what it was designed for.
You're damn right. FFX traffic cops most certainly have a public relations issue on their hands if this thread is bringing all kinds of people out of the woodwork complaining about the traffic police presence.

I got a friend over at the Washington Post who can help us publish a story about the BS in this County. Harassing drivers going over 5 MPH on the Parkway.

Tomorrow I am going to call some people and get a radar detector for my car. Illegal yea, but I can't afford to loose my license +5 MPH, and illegal turns out of Burger King because I have a family to feed.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:07 AM

13,103 posts, read 19,938,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
There's a reason for that. In congestion it is harder to catch people, and stopping people there just makes cngestion worse. People around have to slow dawn and gawk at the pretty flashing lights whenever a cop has pulled someone over.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:23 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,541,867 times
I can't possible be the only person who is blown away by these comments. If you don't want to get a ticket, follow the traffic laws. It's not brain surgery.

I've been driving for almost 30 years. I've never had a speeding ticket. Never. You won't get a ticket for going 63 in a 55 zone. It just won't happen. And you're not likely to get a ticket going 65-70. But if you're doing 75 miles an hour and the speed limit is 55, you deserve the ticket.

If you fail to stop at a stop sign, you deserve a ticket. And if you are going above 25 or 30 in a residential area, not only do you deserve a ticket, you're an idiot.

The officers are on the roads patrolling because that's their job! They aren't out to get you. There is no conspiracy in Fairfax County. If you are going to speed, be prepared to pay the ticket. Don't want to pay??? Slow down.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 AM

19 posts, read 71,880 times
The biggest problem is that the speed limits were established at a time when auto safety standards and performance were greatly inferior than those of today. Autos (save the sad era of the monster SUV) have evolved to be more nimble and safer than they were when the speed regulations were established. The limits should evolve with them. Where once it may have been safe to only drive 55, for a conscious driver it is now safe to drive 75-85 on restricted access interestates. No one's defending driving 55 down a neigborhood street where children are around! The traffic here is the second worst in the country and a large contributor to that is the speed limits are relics of a long forgotten past!!

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM

2,728 posts, read 7,363,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I can't possible be the only person who is blown away by these comments. If you don't want to get a ticket, follow the traffic laws. It's not brain surgery.

I've been driving for almost 30 years. I've never had a speeding ticket. Never. You won't get a ticket for going 63 in a 55 zone. It just won't happen. And you're not likely to get a ticket going 65-70. But if you're doing 75 miles an hour and the speed limit is 55, you deserve the ticket.

If you fail to stop at a stop sign, you deserve a ticket. And if you are going above 25 or 30 in a residential area, not only do you deserve a ticket, you're an idiot.

The officers are on the roads patrolling because that's their job! They aren't out to get you. There is no conspiracy in Fairfax County. If you are going to speed, be prepared to pay the ticket. Don't want to pay??? Slow down.
You're right about the fundamentals; the rules are the rules. I'm complaining about the density of law enforcement in one given stretch of road which does seem outright excessive, especially for illegal right turns, illegal left turns etc.

From my experience living in both Fairfax and Prince William counties seem to have a different police presence; one of which is respectable and another which is excessive.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:55 PM

573 posts, read 2,285,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried10 View Post
The biggest problem is that the speed limits were established at a time when auto safety standards and performance were greatly inferior than those of today. Autos (save the sad era of the monster SUV) have evolved to be more nimble and safer than they were when the speed regulations were established. The limits should evolve with them. Where once it may have been safe to only drive 55, for a conscious driver it is now safe to drive 75-85 on restricted access interestates. No one's defending driving 55 down a neigborhood street where children are around! The traffic here is the second worst in the country and a large contributor to that is the speed limits are relics of a long forgotten past!!
Prime example: Glebe Rd is 25 mph for quite a stretch...a major street! If there are schools around its completely fine to have flashing school zone lights and the speed limit drop but there is no reason to have a speed limit that low in an area all the time that's not particularly narrow or curvy or...anything. Where I learned to drive 40 was the standard speed limit on any major road and I've had a hard time breaking out of that. So sorry mississippimagnolia but yes, I speed. And no, if the flow of traffic is 75 in a 55 and you're not going any faster than anybody else I don't think you deserve a ticket. If you're blowing past traffic, sure.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
There's a reason for that. In congestion it is harder to catch people, and stopping people there just makes cngestion worse. People around have to slow dawn and gawk at the pretty flashing lights whenever a cop has pulled someone over.
Look FFX has horrible traffic and it seems like the Cops actually want it this way.
They cherry pick the 1-2 spots in the county were traffic flows good and penalize for motorists for going at the speed of traffic at the speed the road was designed for.

The Route 29 underpass on the FFX PKWY was DESIGNED for high speed...we're talking 60 MPH and over.
Yet the posted limit is 45 and they always have cops there.

I-66 is AWFUL...because inside of RTE 50 it is 3 lanes.
Yet once you get past RTE 50 it becomes 4 lanes and opens up and flows good...and guess what....the cops come out and panhandle for tickets there.

It's like they want traffic to be at a standstill and do not comprehend that major highways were DESIGNED to have fast moving traffic.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried10 View Post
Exactly...and I can not stand this self righteous people here who say "well follow the rules" they clearly are morons who don't understand speed limits and road designs.

Going 65 on the FFX PKWY is doing what is safe and what the road, a PKWY, was designed for.
Going 50 in a 25 in subdivison is far different...yet the self righteous on this board would have you thinking otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or