U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
 
273 posts, read 1,346,594 times
Reputation: 72

Advertisements

I used to live in VA and would hate the way the cops would "hide in the bushes" basically to catch speeders. I had very little respect for them (even though my dad is a cop). They seemed "annoying" and like they were just out to write tickets, I agree. However after living in MD for a few years and seeing a night and day total opposite - I wish the MD cops were stopping people more often. We have such high crime, stolen cars, people riding around with stolen goods in their cars - I really miss the law enforcement in VA. I know they are ticket crazy sometimes but it's stopping people that you find some bad ones in there too and I almost feel like MD is so hands off that the criminals just get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2009, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
19 posts, read 71,366 times
Reputation: 13
One other thing to note that really hurts the traffic flow here is that stoplights are HORRIBLY timed. Civil Engineers with solid educations [assumed] are hired to design, monitor and improve the situation, but on so many stretches, the lights are timed so badly that you end up waiting for 2-4 minutes at every single light when a little bit of forsight and planning to adjust the timing could start moving the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 02:15 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,341,841 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by fried10 View Post
One other thing to note that really hurts the traffic flow here is that stoplights are HORRIBLY timed. Civil Engineers with solid educations [assumed] are hired to design, monitor and improve the situation, but on so many stretches, the lights are timed so badly that you end up waiting for 2-4 minutes at every single light when a little bit of forsight and planning to adjust the timing could start moving the traffic.
You can always complain about a particular intersection. Usually they have to study the flow of traffic before they make such changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
19 posts, read 71,366 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
You can always complain about a particular intersection.
Can I narrow it down to just the intersections east of Dulles and west of the Potomic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,848,240 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfielder View Post
Exactly...and I can not stand this self righteous people here who say "well follow the rules" they clearly are morons who don't understand speed limits and road designs.

Going 65 on the FFX PKWY is doing what is safe and what the road, a PKWY, was designed for.
Going 50 in a 25 in subdivison is far different...yet the self righteous on this board would have you thinking otherwise.

65 mph is an Interstate speed. No way was the Fairfax County Parkway built to Interstate standards....turns are way too sharp, too many intersections, sightlines, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 07:34 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,848,240 times
Reputation: 3773
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
I used to live in VA and would hate the way the cops would "hide in the bushes" basically to catch speeders. I had very little respect for them (even though my dad is a cop). They seemed "annoying" and like they were just out to write tickets, I agree. However after living in MD for a few years and seeing a night and day total opposite - I wish the MD cops were stopping people more often. We have such high crime, stolen cars, people riding around with stolen goods in their cars - I really miss the law enforcement in VA. I know they are ticket crazy sometimes but it's stopping people that you find some bad ones in there too and I almost feel like MD is so hands off that the criminals just get away.

Excellent point!

Why did that mean policeman stop Timothy McVeigh? Something stupid like a dead tag, wasn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 08:24 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,341,841 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Excellent point!

Why did that mean policeman stop Timothy McVeigh? Something stupid like a dead tag, wasn't it?
That's a good point car54 where are u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,033 posts, read 4,535,980 times
Reputation: 1419
I was in Fairfax visiting relatives this week and I have to say, frm the way people drove haphazardly and dangerously up there, I think a heavy police presence was definitely warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,341,841 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I was in Fairfax visiting relatives this week and I have to say, frm the way people drove haphazardly and dangerously up there, I think a heavy police presence was definitely warranted.

Which area did you notice the agressive driving? Can you recall any streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
 
28 posts, read 17,146 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
I used to live in VA and would hate the way the cops would "hide in the bushes" basically to catch speeders. I had very little respect for them (even though my dad is a cop). They seemed "annoying" and like they were just out to write tickets, I agree. However after living in MD for a few years and seeing a night and day total opposite - I wish the MD cops were stopping people more often. We have such high crime, stolen cars, people riding around with stolen goods in their cars - I really miss the law enforcement in VA. I know they are ticket crazy sometimes but it's stopping people that you find some bad ones in there too and I almost feel like MD is so hands off that the criminals just get away.
There is no need to have cops "hiding" in bushes and cherry picking.
They're wasting time and resources.
If they have nothing better to do, we can save tax dollars by re-assigning or cutting their staff.

I just do not see why in a county with such horrible traffic instead of trying to fix the problem FCPS seems to be focused on "cashing in" in the few sports were traffic does flow.

They don't enhance their image to their community, it's quite annoying and very ticky tacky and unprofessional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top