U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 AM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,348,949 times
Reputation: 1060

Advertisements

( With all due respect to the Police, and it's a tough job, I don't have the guts to that work. )

..Anyways, I got pulled over last night for making an illegal turn; my fault. When I come home in the late afternoons I usually pass about 10 marked cars on FFX County Parkway in speed traps, or they're hanging out on the various side streets, or standing on the shoulder with a speed gun.

I think there's just too many cops out on patrol on FFX County Parkway pulling people over coming home from work, minding their own business. It's like an infestation!!!! They should be out pulling over kids with illegal modifications and out of state tags. My last 4 tickets in 5 years have been "disregard traffic device" all in Fairfax County, which all were my fault.. and I dont even live in the County either!!

There's no room for driver error in Fairfax County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Orange Hunt Estates, W. Springfield
628 posts, read 1,723,586 times
Reputation: 231
Why do some complain about police when they get caught? Drive safely and according to laws and there's nothing to worry about. Too many people in a rush; relax! The parkway is not an interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,348,949 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Why do some complain about police when they get caught? Drive safely and according to laws and there's nothing to worry about. Too many people in a rush; relax! The parkway is not an interstate.
I agree, but there's times that I do make mistakes, miss a sign, and don't pay attention. The problem is there's less room for error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
 
2,688 posts, read 5,951,545 times
Reputation: 1288
I drive the Parkway regularly and am happy to seen enforcement out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM
 
10,596 posts, read 12,090,790 times
Reputation: 6458
Glad to know. I occasionally drive the parkway and, well, I am always speeding. I shouldn't. But I"ve never seen a cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,106 posts, read 12,647,744 times
Reputation: 3760
I have seen more out lately. I wonder if their was a directive to raise $ due to budget.
I was stopped yesterday (first ticket in 22 years) on Fullerton Rd. It was our first time over to Costco (sounds cliche', I know, but we just moved in April) and we were coming back towards Rolling Rd. The bottom of Fullerton near Boston (Rd?) is marked as two lanes with white dashes and then the lane markings end. It sure looks like two lanes continue and there were two lanes of traffic heading that way. When you get closer to Rolling there is a sign that reads "Do Not Pass". I was in, what I thought was the right lane of two. When we saw the "DNP" sign we both wondered if there were two lanes or one. Well, too late. They were pulling people over and we got it. I was told I was passing at a "No passing sign" and it should have been a single lane of traffic. When I asked how were we supposed to know that it had gone down to one lane, the officer said there was a sign at the bottom of the hill. He was nice enough and invited me to go back and look, which I did. Went back down to Costco, retraced our route, turned left onto Fullerton to head towards Rolling, and sure enough there is no sign saying the two lanes merge to one, "Form Single Lane", or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Reputation: 15753
When was the last time the police pulled someone over for "hogging" the passing lane on Route 7 between the town...errr..."census designated place" of Reston and the town....errr...."census designated place" of Tyson's Corner? My commutes are always stressful anymore because people in front of me enjoy doing 40 in the left-hand lane in a 55 zone! People who think they are helping the police by crawling in the passing lane to "slow down traffic" are just as bad as those going 10-15 OVER the limit because they tend to increase driver aggression! This morning I was tailgating someone in the left-hand lane because I myself was being tailgated. Finally the guy behind me blew around both of us in the right-hand lane and cut off the slowpoke in front of me by mere inches.

Seriously, why can't people in NoVA learn the concept of "drive right, PASS left?!" I'm tiring of passing on the right all the time on Route 7!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
 
2,728 posts, read 7,348,949 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
When was the last time the police pulled someone over for "hogging" the passing lane on Route 7 between the town...errr..."census designated place" of Reston and the town....errr...."census designated place" of Tyson's Corner? My commutes are always stressful anymore because people in front of me enjoy doing 40 in the left-hand lane in a 55 zone! People who think they are helping the police by crawling in the passing lane to "slow down traffic" are just as bad as those going 10-15 OVER the limit because they tend to increase driver aggression! This morning I was tailgating someone in the left-hand lane because I myself was being tailgated. Finally the guy behind me blew around both of us in the right-hand lane and cut off the slowpoke in front of me by mere inches.

Seriously, why can't people in NoVA learn the concept of "drive right, PASS left?!" I'm tiring of passing on the right all the time on Route 7!
Next time try honking your horn and flashing high beams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,101 posts, read 67,199,392 times
Reputation: 15753
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Next time try honking your horn and flashing high beams
That's just being more aggressive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Orange Hunt Estates, W. Springfield
628 posts, read 1,723,586 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I have seen more out lately. I wonder if their was a directive to raise $ due to budget.
I was stopped yesterday (first ticket in 22 years) on Fullerton Rd. It was our first time over to Costco (sounds cliche', I know, but we just moved in April) and we were coming back towards Rolling Rd. The bottom of Fullerton near Boston (Rd?) is marked as two lanes with white dashes and then the lane markings end. It sure looks like two lanes continue and there were two lanes of traffic heading that way. When you get closer to Rolling there is a sign that reads "Do Not Pass". I was in, what I thought was the right lane of two. When we saw the "DNP" sign we both wondered if there were two lanes or one. Well, too late. They were pulling people over and we got it. I was told I was passing at a "No passing sign" and it should have been a single lane of traffic. When I asked how were we supposed to know that it had gone down to one lane, the officer said there was a sign at the bottom of the hill. He was nice enough and invited me to go back and look, which I did. Went back down to Costco, retraced our route, turned left onto Fullerton to head towards Rolling, and sure enough there is no sign saying the two lanes merge to one, "Form Single Lane", or anything.
I empathize. Go to that Costco frequently, and the lane distinctions are confusing for the uninitiated. The striping should be improved. This would be a good subject to send to the Post's "Dr. Gridlock."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top