Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

"This is all nonsense," he told himself. "There has to be a logical solution. Maybe we had an earthquake. Or, maybe a mouse chewed through some wires." He went to bed, convinced it would all make more sense in the morning.

Later that evening, he heard the odd creaking sound again. He walked into the family room and turned on thel ight. The chair was rocking again!

“Something must be out of balance in the legs of that chair,” he decided. “I’ll deal with it in the morning.” Then he turned to go back to bed, but as he began to walk away suddenly a large heavy object struck him in the shoulder with great force. It was a large field boot that had been next to the fireplace.

“Now, a mouse might be able to chew through a cord, but there is no way a little mouse could throw a heavy boot!” Stanley thought.

Something about that chair made him very uneasy, and he realized he would not be able to sleep another wink with it in his house. He walked over to the chair, intending to put it into his truck and return it to the strange old
vendor the next day, but as he approached the chair it began rocking faster and faster. Spooked, Stanley decided to remove himself from the house instead, and he drove to a nearby motel.

To be continued....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM

The next day, Stanley tied the chair to the back of his truck and drove out to the address the old man had given when he signed up for his booth. The street was brand new, shiny new homes were still under construction--this was not at all the sort of place he pictured the old man to be living. Still, that was the address the man had given, so Stanley drove to the end of the street.

He drove the length of the street two times before he realized there was no house with such an address, only a nearby vacant lot.

With a feeling of dread, he left the rocker in the truck and returned home. “I’ll sell it to an antiques store,” he decided, “and I’ll keep it tied down in the truck until somebody buys it.”

To be continued....

Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 AM

When he got home, he got out a strong piece of rope and tightly lashed the rocker in place. Then he made himself some dinner, and fell asleep.

Sometime in the deepest hours of the night, he suddenly awoke. It was the creaking noise again! He tried to ignore it, but it was insidious. Finally, his curiosity got the better of him, and he checked the garage. There was the rocker, still tightly lashed in placed, and yet rocking away.

Stanley slammed the door shut and bolted every lock hecould find. He stayed up the rest of the night, listening to his radio with the volume turned up to drown out the rocking. Yet no matter how loud he turned the volume he could hear the creaking, and in fact, the chair was rocking faster.

A storm blew in, but even the sound of the wind and the lightening could not drown out the creaking of the chair.

Finally, he could take no more.

To be continued....

Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Stanley got in his truck and drove out to the subdivision. In the pouring rain, he stopped at the vacant lot, then untied all the ropes that held the chair in place and threw it onto the ground of the vacant lot.

Bolts of lightning struck nearby and the rain was thick. He jumped into the truck and sped away, but in his confusion he made a wrong turn and found himself at the end of a cul de sac. With dread, he turned the truck around and drove back toward the vacant lot hoping to pass it as quickly as possible.

Just as he passed the vacant lot, a bolt of lightning struck nearby and lit up the entire neighborhood, and for a split second Stanley saw an old farmhouse. The roof was falling apart, and one of the columns holding up the front porch had gone awry. On the porch sat an old woman in the rocker, knitting a long scarf.

Stanley stopped the truck, too frightened to drive. A second later it was dark again. Then, another bolt of lightning struck and lit up the street again. This time, all Stanley saw was a vacant lot. There was no sign of the rocking chair at all.

Stanley hit the gas pedal and drove home in record time. For the rest of his life, he never sat in a rocking chair again!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Wow, ghost stories, how fun is this! You guys have been busy while I've been away. You know what, I actually like the one you wrote about VRE better than the "official" ones. I think I may have had a few encounters with that haunted traffic cop myself!

And I've definitely experienced the Rt 7 28-mph vortex!!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM

241 posts, read 987,426 times
Oooh, that one was spooky.....

Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

This one doesn't really have a story attached to it... but some people in Reston claim to have seen a young girl sitting in the old wooden swing that sits at the end of the canal off of Lake Anne. Just a few feet away from the swing is a contemporary art statue with two holes that roughly resemble binoculars. They say that if you look through these holes early in the morning you can sometimes see the girl playing around a tree. Sometimes she's been seen hiding a piece of paper in the tree.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:18 AM

19 posts, read 80,780 times
Coincidentally, I plucked this one from foxsports website this morning... Originally from Wisconsin and a huge Brewers fan, I thought this hotel story was interesting:
Baseball teams fear 'haunted' Milwaukee hotel - FOX Sports on MSN

Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
This is a very thorough first-hand account of a haunted home in Fries, Va which is in SW Virginia. I came across a description of this home in one of the real estate listings about three years ago.

HillBilly GhostHunters

Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,875 times
these ghost stories are really good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia