U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 08:49 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeitz View Post
You aren't going to get a single family dreamhouse at that age, but that's ridiculous anyway. Everytime someone on here starts a thread complaining that a single person can't buy some huge expensive house near DC I just roll my eyes and wonder.
It's amazing how few of you actually know how to READ on this forum. The link I provided was to a home barely over 1,000 square feet and was in dire need of interior updating. It was not a "huge expensive dream house," and, to be quite frank, $380,000 seemed very steep for a house of that stature. I'm not the type who wants your typical ostentatious seven-figure home in Great Falls to show off. Anyone else care to glance at one sentence of a three-paragraph post of mine and jump to conclusions?

Also, perhaps I should have clarified that I'm looking at age 35, not 30 (I was mistaken to be so forward earlier). Even so I still don't see how a 35-year-old middle-class person can afford their own place here. Why would I pay $300,000-$350,000 to buy a 1-BR 700-square-foot condo in Arlington when I'm currently paying $1,135/month for a 1-BR 960-square-foot apartment? It just doesn't make sense to me to double my rent for a mortgage on a place that's much smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:53 PM

240 posts, read 171,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
What does NOVA have that Pittsburgh dosn't. For starters a percapita income over $100,000. Why are things so cheap in the Burgh or NEPA or the Lehigh Valley or Reading-Berks or anywhere in most of Pensyltucky?
You might want to ask the hundreds of thousands if not millions who used to work at US Steel, Bethleham Steel, Westinghouse, Gulf Oil, Mack Truck,
Western Electric, The Penna Railroad and the people who used to mine coal etc. Pennsylvania like Ohio, Upstate NY, Michigan and Indiana used to lead the nation in good paying blue collar industrial jobs. Not any more.
Downtown Pittsburgh may not miss the grey smokey pall but go a few miles down the Mon valley to see towns that won't come back and what used to be a basic steel industry that once lead the world.
I went to school at Lehigh in Bethlehem - the HOME of Beth Steel. I think the town of Bethlehem (and my alma mater Lehigh) don't miss Beth Steel. Although they once hired a lot of engineer graduates from Lehigh. But it used to belch grey smoke over the Lehigh campus when I was there. Now it is all cleaned up and beautiful. The economy took a huge hit there when Beth Steel hit hard times though. Prices are still cheap there though. Personally, I wouldn't want to live up around Allentown/Bethlehem. If I did, I could have gotten a job there easy when I graduated from school - the employers in that region were lined up like crazy handing out job offers to engineering students from Lehigh. Anyway, good points in your above post.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,864,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themommy View Post
I grew up near where the Fairfax County Parkway was eventually built. When they were working on it, I used to go out there when the workmen were gone to ride my bike on the fresh, unmarked pavement. Such fun! I felt like it was my own personal (huge!) bikeway.

I did the same thing when the Beltway was built.

We also used to jump onto the back of earthmovers (unbeknownst to the operator) and rode for miles....none too smart, looking back at it!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
What does NOVA have that Pittsburgh dosn't. For starters a percapita income over $100,000. Why are things so cheap in the Burgh or NEPA or the Lehigh Valley or Reading-Berks or anywhere in most of Pensyltucky?
You might want to ask the hundreds of thousands if not millions who used to work at US Steel, Bethleham Steel, Westinghouse, Gulf Oil, Mack Truck,
Western Electric, The Penna Railroad and the people who used to mine coal etc. Pennsylvania like Ohio, Upstate NY, Michigan and Indiana used to lead the nation in good paying blue collar industrial jobs. Not any more.
Downtown Pittsburgh may not miss the grey smokey pall but go a few miles down the Mon valley to see towns that won't come back and what used to be a basic steel industry that once lead the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's amazing how few of you actually know how to READ on this forum. The link I provided was to a home barely over 1,000 square feet and was in dire need of interior updating. It was not a "huge expensive dream house," and, to be quite frank, $380,000 seemed very steep for a house of that stature. I'm not the type who wants your typical ostentatious seven-figure home in Great Falls to show off. Anyone else care to glance at one sentence of a three-paragraph post of mine and jump to conclusions?

Also, perhaps I should have clarified that I'm looking at age 35, not 30 (I was mistaken to be so forward earlier). Even so I still don't see how a 35-year-old middle-class person can afford their own place here. Why would I pay $300,000-$350,000 to buy a 1-BR 700-square-foot condo in Arlington when I'm currently paying $1,135/month for a 1-BR 960-square-foot apartment? It just doesn't make sense to me to double my rent for a mortgage on a place that's much smaller.
It's amazing how you insult people with your posts. We know how to read, you don't know how to be civil! You call people racists, illiterates, and who knows what else. If you hate it here so much, then maybe you SHOULD be looking someplace else. I doubt you'll be happy anywhere though, from the sound of it. People have said you complained endlessly about your hometown too. you'd probably complain about Pittsburgh too if you move there. You don't know how to engage in a civil debate without insulting people, calling their neighborhoods ugly when looking at them from satellite photos, and misquoting them and then calling them racist intentionally, etc.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:04 PM

30,102 posts, read 67,204,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdeitz View Post
It's amazing how you insult people with your posts. We know how to read, you don't know how to be civil! You call people racists, illiterates, and who knows what else. If you hate it here so much, then maybe you SHOULD be looking someplace else. I doubt you'll be happy anywhere though, from the sound of it. People have said you complained endlessly about your hometown too. you'd probably complain about Pittsburgh too if you move there. You don't know how to engage in a civil debate without insulting people, calling their neighborhoods ugly when looking at them from satellite photos, and misquoting them and then calling them racist intentionally, etc.
So you're still planning to side-step how you slammed me in that most recent reply of yours though, unfounded, may I add, as I poked a hole right through your logic, in order to further fume at me here? You DID go off on a tirade there about "these people that complain....wanting huge expensive houses....", even though I made it crystal clear that I'm just looking for a tiny fixer-upper in a walkable neighborhood---nothing special or extravagant. I don't care if I'm liked or not on this sub-forum. If there are serious issues that need to be addressed in this region, then shouldn't SOMEONE be sounding the air horn about them? I'm not going to apologize for not wanting to bring significant issues (housing affordability for single middle-class individuals, urban sprawl, an inefficient mass transit system, a dearth of sidewalks/streetlights/bike lanes, an inability for county government to respect master plans, racism, etc., etc.) to the forefront just because nobody else wants to discuss them. If that makes me combative then so be it.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:05 PM

427 posts, read 973,513 times
Quote:
Why would I pay $300,000-$350,000 to buy a 1-BR 700-square-foot condo in Arlington when I'm currently paying $1,135/month for a 1-BR 960-square-foot apartment? It just doesn't make sense to me to double my rent for a mortgage on a place that's much smaller.
Well, that's something every prospective homebuyer has to evaluate for him- or herself. There's nothing wrong with deciding that, for you personally, a particular piece of real estate simply isn't worth the asking price -- even if you can afford it. Adults are faced with tough decisions like that all the time.

I'd recommend revisiting this in 13 years, though, when you actually hit 35. Everything's going to look different to you then, and many of the things you think are constants in your life now will be different then. Who knows: You may feel exactly the same way about the DC real estate market in 13 years as you do now. If you do, then that's okay. But it just seems like a colossal waste of your time and energy to be agonizing over this now, you know? Especially since you seem to have decided that you don't like living here. Why in the world are you worrying so much about a future real estate purchase in a place where you don't even see yourself having a future?

If you decide that owning real estate in the DC area is something that's genuinely important to you, then take the sage advice so many have offered you in this thread: Plan for your future as a homeowner. Find ways to scrimp and save. Educate yourself. Make it a point to position yourself financially so that you're ready when the time comes. Is that Arlington SFH your first priority, or is your current lifestyle your first priority? Figure it out, then act accordingly.

Mostly, though, you're 22. Go be 22. 35 will be here soon enough.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
So you're still planning to side-step how you slammed me in that most recent reply of yours though, unfounded, may I add, as I poked a hole right through your logic, in order to further fume at me here? You DID go off on a tirade there about "these people that complain....wanting huge expensive houses....", even though I made it crystal clear that I'm just looking for a tiny fixer-upper in a walkable neighborhood---nothing special or extravagant. I don't care if I'm liked or not on this sub-forum. If there are serious issues that need to be addressed in this region, then shouldn't SOMEONE be sounding the air horn about them? I'm not going to apologize for not wanting to bring significant issues (housing affordability for single middle-class individuals, urban sprawl, an inefficient mass transit system, a dearth of sidewalks/streetlights/bike lanes, an inability for county government to respect master plans, racism, etc., etc.) to the forefront just because nobody else wants to discuss them. If that makes me combative then so be it.
Funny, you are the master of tirades. And you never apologized for purposely changing the words of another post of mine (to make it sound racist) and then calling me that. I had no names of any ethinic group in there but you paraphrased incorrectly what I said, inserted ethnic names in there, and then said I was raicst. Oh, I guess YOU can't read. Sorry, I should have known better.

I know you don't care if you aren't liked in this forum, you've made that abundantly clear. Do you tell your friends how you purposely rewrite people's posts to call them racists? THat isn't very nice, but I forgot - you aren't on here to be liked. You don't make friends putting words in people's mouths to make them sound racist, or to misquote them like you just did AGAIN to me above. And, it's rich coming from you about tirades. I'd have to write 100 tirades to put a small dent in the amount you've written. You win any contest there by 1000% or more.

I also did NOT say any words to the effect ""these people that complain....wanting huge expensive houses...." - there you go again PURPOSELY putting words in my mouth. That's very civil of you. How nice. Next time try not to make up things I'm saying. Oh, I forgot you put words in people's mouths so you can make other readers of this forum think those people actually said those things. Just a little bit unethical, but if you feel comfortable doing that - I think a lot of people will see right through it. And by the way, whoever your friend is who PM'd me and pointed out that I only have a reputation of 47 so obviously you are right and I'm wrong, that's just plain stupid! So what, who cares what your reputation is. I don't, and I doubt anyone other than your good friend with the catchy sounding userid (ScranBarreIsGreat) who sent me that silly PM. I could care less if my reputation were ZERO. Also, I could set up a bunch of phony id's and raise my reputation if I wanted to, if it was that important to me, which shows reputations are meanginless. You know how I got those 47 points? Many were as a result of the time you slammed me for allegedly being a racist! They all said I wasn't, and agreed that you had changed around that post quite a bit when you "paraphrased it" - I guess in the same way the press will paraphrase someone and make it sound like they said something they didn't. Maybe you have a career as a news reporter - there could be big money there for you - and you obviously love to write.

Last edited by fdeitz; 07-11-2009 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 09:25 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,398 times
themommy, it won't let me give you any more reputation points, but I love your comments in this thread!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,951,956 times
Hey, themommy, I remember driving on the Fairfax County Parkway the first morning it opened!

Basic economics: many people live here, more than in Pittsburgh or Scranton. Many of them want to live in Arlington too because it's close to their job in DC or for other reasons. Many of them have been here longer than you, many of them are older than you, many of them make more money than you, many of them have equity in their current residences which you don't, therefore a house becomes available in Arlington, some of them can and will offer more money for it then you, and the seller will accept one of their offers. The end. (Some day you may be one of those people, and may have to endure while another 22-year-old drama queen bemoans his life on this board.)

Old 07-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Hey, themommy, I remember driving on the Fairfax County Parkway the first morning it opened!
I did too! My workplace at the time was the Sprint complex right near the Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive! Used to be able to see the construction of it from our office building!! I was so happy to drive to work on it rather than my old commute route to work. While I don't work there anymore, I now work not far on Sunrise Valley Dr. on the other side (to the East of it) so I still take Fairfax County Parkway to work. I also remember watching the construction of the underpass under I-66 for the interchange. Wow, this brings back lots and lots of memories! The "good old days" - not that things are bad now, just different. The whole area seemed much smaller then, for some reason, I don't know why.

Last edited by fdeitz; 07-11-2009 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia