Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Hey, themommy, I remember driving on the Fairfax County Parkway the first morning it opened!

Basic economics: many people live here, more than in Pittsburgh or Scranton. Many of them want to live in Arlington too because it's close to their job in DC or for other reasons. Many of them have been here longer than you, many of them are older than you, many of them make more money than you, many of them have equity in their current residences which you don't, therefore a house becomes available in Arlington, some of them can and will offer more money for it then you, and the seller will accept one of their offers. The end. (Some day you may be one of those people, and may have to endure while another 22-year-old drama queen bemoans his life on this board.)
The other thing is he has been told over and over again (at least by me) that there are places one can rent in Arlington for what he is paying out in Reston. Like everything else in life there are trade-offs and the commute out to the Dulles Corridor would be one of them. I have lived in Arlington since day one of moving here and have ALWAYS been able to find something to rent that was affordable. When I first came here in 2004 I was making around 47K annually and my rent in Rosslyn near Route 50 was around $900 per month. The complex didn't have a pool, gym, or other various amenities but it was a decent place and I could walk to the Rosslyn Metro in 10-15 minutes. It was a no-brainer for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:06 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Figured I'd jump in. Interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading it. There's a song that seems so appropriate it goes "You can't always get what you want." Not to be ugly but it's true. It's nice to want things but if you can't afford you have to look at what you CAN afford. Then let what's unattainable at the moment be something that you work for.

First of all you can get a home before 30 shucks before 25. If you're paying $1135 a month then you can buy a foreclosed townhouse in Manassas. Now is that my first choice of neighborhood? No I want to be closer to the city. But if owning is a priority then look at what sacrifices you can make. I would recommend a roommate too that's $500 a month at least going towards a downpayment. Which is $6K a year. By 2017 that's $48K 2022 $78K of course with income increases that could easily be $100K by 2022. God that sounds so far away. I'll be 41! Anywho it's not about me.

I mean someone posted townhouses under $100K that's easily a $600 mortgage if not less depending on the down payment. Now is a good time to get in on some of these smaller foreclosed properties. As someone mentioned the housing inventory is starting to get smaller so prices will go up soon. Then once you have enough money get that house in Arlington.

More people want to live in Arlington than there are houses available. So unfortunately only those willing to pay get to live there. It sucks but that's how the market works. That's why so many people if not most people live outside the beltway it's too expensive close to the city.

It's not like the entire area has deemed itself unaffordable or unattainable. If you don't want the townhouse in Manassas or a smaller condo in Fairfax, Centreville, Sterling etc., then that's your choice but you can only complain so much about your choice.

At the same time there's nothing wrong with goals. But complaining doesn't do anything to make goals happen. Hard work does. Also everyone let's please appreciate what we have. I know I've been guilty of not appreciating what I have but yeah we have a very high quality of life in Northern Virginia but not many seem to appreciate that. So yeah don't worry about what you don't got but instead be inspired to aspire.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The other thing is he has been told over and over again (at least by me) that there are places one can rent in Arlington for what he is paying out in Reston. Like everything else in life there are trade-offs and the commute out to the Dulles Corridor would be one of them. I have lived in Arlington since day one of moving here and have ALWAYS been able to find something to rent that was affordable. When I first came here in 2004 I was making around 47K annually and my rent in Rosslyn near Route 50 was around $900 per month. The complex didn't have a pool, gym, or other various amenities but it was a decent place and I could walk to the Rosslyn Metro in 10-15 minutes. It was a no-brainer for me.
Yeah it's all about what you're willing to sacrifice. When I first moved here I lived in a place was both affordable and close to work 15 minute commute. The place sucked! Eight other roommates, pisspoor AC (funny first summer outside the south and it was the hottest one of my life because of little or no AC), and just shady people but hey the rent was cheap. So I sacrificed the commute that I was so afraid to sacrifice before and while my commute causes anguish (a reality show should catch me on 395 at about 7:20 I'm sure I'm pretty funny beating my steering wheel and shouting every obscenity known to man) but I have a much nicer place.

I went swimming today (roommates have to sign me in since I'm not on the lease but hey what can you do) and it was nice something that I will indeed pay for tomorrow on 395 but hey sacrifice is the name of the game in Northern Virginia. Again not to be ugly but hey welcome to VA.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:40 PM

64 posts, read 232,906 times
42k is a relatively low salary for Northern Virginia. I thought most entry level salaries were a bit higher, more around 50-55k. Any comments?

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,981,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
(a reality show should catch me on 395 at about 7:20 I'm sure I'm pretty funny beating my steering wheel and shouting every obscenity known to man).
That might be worth getting cable, to see that.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
42k is a relatively low salary for Northern Virginia. I thought most entry level salaries were a bit higher, more around 50-55k. Any comments?
No that's pretty typical. There are plenty of entry level jobs that start at less than that. It depends on what your field is there's more pay in certain fields some places start low but there's big raises to be had. I don't know to many that make that much straight out of college but at the same time I'm not one for talking about salaries. I think once your salary is defined by yearly versus hourly then it's officially impolite to ask how much one makes. I have a friend that still does.

I told him and immediately regretted it. I told another friend back home and then made the mistake of complaining about not being able to afford something and she was like but Terrence you make so much money. I don't know I didn't exactly hold my ground in the salary negotiation either. They told me my salary and I was like SOLD! Now I realize that I don't make a lot of money but at the same time I have a roof over my head and the lights are still on a pretty big improvement from making 30 cents above minimum wage at the mall.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,328,564 times
Quote:
If you look at household averages in the area, yea, that's on the low end if you're the only one working in your family. With both people working, it's not bad.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Other than engineers, I don't know any new college graduates who start in the 50's. The government certainly doesn't pay that, except under very special circumstances, like special agents and foreign service. Beltway bandits don't pay in the 50's, except to engineers.

Which 22 year old, new graduates, start higher than $42,000?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
If you look at household averages in the area, yea, that's on the low end if you're the only one working in your family. With both people working, it's not bad.
But we aren't talking about average salaries. Scranny is a brand new graduate, in his first job, at 22 years old. Most new grads don't start higher than that. Do they?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:38 AM

111 posts, read 542,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
But we aren't talking about average salaries. Scranny is a brand new graduate, in his first job, at 22 years old. Most new grads don't start higher than that. Do they?
FCPS teachers with a bachelor degree start at around 44,000 with no experience, and if you have a masters its about 49,000 with no experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia