Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:54 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Your list was arbitrary. It was neither a complete list of schools in Vienna and McLean/FC, nor a complete list of schools that Vienna and McLean/FC students attend. I just noted a few more schools to point out how arbitrary your list was (the demographic inferences that you apparently wanted others to draw from your list were not themselves particularly interesting or insightful).

I think you're being more than a little defensive about Timber Lane. I neither said nor implied that it was "subpar," and it certainly does feed into both McLean and Falls Church HS, although it is part of the McLean, not Falls Church, "pyramid" for administrative purposes. I expect that, just as at Pine Spring, many students there receive a good education.
Please note that my list was not arbitrary. It said Vienna (I missed Colvin Run) and McLean/FC (22043). Thus, my list was bounded by the Falls Church 22043 zip code. As I noted in response to your inclusion of Timber Lane....that Timber Lane was in the 22046 zip code.

What was arbitrary was your mention of McLean HS, which has absolutely nothing to do with this blog topic. Also, you assumed that Timber Lane only fed into McLean/FC(22043) middle/high school and I cleared that up for you too with those boundary maps.

Quote:
Timber Lane 41% (51%)*

* Located in 22046, but a feeder to the McLean/FC (22043) middle/high schools.
The list itself showed that although a lot of schools have kids that are not English proficient, it in itself does not directly translate that they are poor also....which contrasts Pine Spring ES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:26 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post

The list itself showed that although a lot of schools have kids that are not English proficient, it in itself does not directly translate that they are poor also....which contrasts Pine Spring ES.
Oh. It's possible, though, that Pine Spring ES has poor students who are English proficient, and ESL students who are not poor. It's also possible that Pine Spring has some poor ESL students.

All that could be possible, and parents with actual experience with the school could still offer far more meaningful advice to the OP or others with an interest in the school than your demographic tour de force and boundary maps provide.

Thanks for the great community service that you've performed!

Last edited by JD984; 09-08-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Oh. It's possible, though, that Pine Spring ES has poor students who are English proficient, and ESL students who are not. It's also possible that Pine Spring has some poor ESL students.

All that could be possible, and parents with actual experience with the school could still offer more meaningful advice to the OP or others with an interest in the school than your demographic tour de force and boundary maps provide.

Thanks for the great community service that you've performed!
Unfortunately, there's not enough granularity to take it down to that level of detail. Too bad.

There's always room for more meaningful advice. Unfortunately, you didn't provide any by including Timber Lane into a discussion about 22043 part of Falls Church.

I'm glad I did provide that tidbit about Timber Lane based on my research. You now know that not all the kids going there will feed directly to Longfellow MS or McLean HS.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
There's always room for more meaningful advice. Unfortunately, you didn't provide any by including Timber Lane into a discussion about 22043 part of Falls Church.

I'm glad I did provide that tidbit about Timber Lane based on my research. You now know that not all the kids going there will feed directly to Longfellow MS or McLean HS.
Since Pine Spring is in 22042, rather than 20043, you're the one who wandered off-topic.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-09-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Personal and off-topic

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 26,312 times
OK, I think this topic is becoming a bit too personal. I provided a personal insight into Pine Spring ES as someone who has a child there and is not too concerned that she might be "contaminated" by exposure to less "well-to-do" or immigrant kids. Perhaps b/c I too, growing up in Miami, FL attended just such an ES - 65% of the population of Miami - Dade County speaks a primary language other than English and 56% are foreign born, I am this comfortable. I am multi-lingual, which is a blessing I thank God for every day, and hope my daughter to be so blessed as well.

I thank all for their input and I hope Indian Mother finds it useful.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:26 PM

13 posts, read 26,312 times
"Many successful professionals -- doctors, lawyers, academics, research scientists come to mind -- spend most of their college and graduate school years surrounded by people with intelligence levels that are considerably above average. They go on to work in institutions -- law firms, hospitals, universities, research labs -- where they can by and large insulate themselves from those with average intellectual gifts. Lots of these folks don't suffer fools, and they can be extraordinarily successful despite their inability to "work with" mere mortals."

One can argue whether this is a good thing or not. Would you prefer a doctor with good bedside manner and an abiltiy to empathize with you as a person or one who approaches you as your affliction? My experience is vastly different. In the real world - business, government, the military (all of which I have experience in) - I work with all types of people, of all races and abiities, and I realize they all make their contribution that is worth no more or less than any one elses. In the end, we are all headed to same place, ne c'est pas? Leo Tolstoy put all together in his short story "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" I recommend it.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
So what happens if a kid is better in reading and not so good in math? I don't think kids switch teachers for different subjects.
It doesn't matter whether one is good in both reading and math, poor in both or good in one and bad in the other. The children are put in reading groups within their homeroom class. For example, in my daughter's homeroom class, Teacher A, she was in the blue reading group. Others within her homeroom were in red, orange, yellow, and green. There were 5-6 kids in each reading group. For math, though, the children moved around to different teachers for each math unit. So my daughter could have had Teacher A for math or Teacher B or Teacher C. They were pre-tested before each unit and then assigned to a teacher for that unit. Throughout the school year, my daughter was with her own homeroom teacher A for a few of the math units. Then she moved to Teacher B for a couple of the math units. And finally was with Teacher C for a few units. She had different children in each of her math classes throughout the year. So, yes, the children did switch teachers for math, but not for reading or other subjects. I was told they will be doing the same thing for math for second grade.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Since Pine Spring is in 22042, rather than 20043, you're the one who wandered off-topic.
Actually, I didn't wander off topic. One of the posters here made a reference to McLean and the "lily-white moms there who are afraid of other cultures" of which I just wanted to expand on/defend those "poor" McLean moms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I know two different moms who have multiple kids at Pine Spring. The Families are lily-white. Both moms love the school. In Fact, one Mom had an opportunity to move out of the 'pyramid' to an advertised 'better' school and decided to stay within the district because her daughters are thriving there. But I guess I shouldn't share that info because a bunch of you lily-white-McLean centered moms who are scared of other cultures will be rushing to send your kids to Pine Spring.
The data I presented shows that a lot of the schools in the wealthier areas such as McLean, FC-22043, and Vienna do have limited English proficient students and if that poster looked further, he/she would see that a lot of these schools do have representation from both asian and hispanic kids.

Assuming I actually did veer off topic, which I didn't, you took it once step further by using my post to veer even more off topic by responding to my post with an irrelevant mention of Timber Lane.

Quote:
You left out Colvin Run (Vienna) and Timber Lane (McLean/FC).
Quote:
I knew already that not all kids at Timber Lane go to Longfellow MS and McLean HS, and never said otherwise.
Nobody knows what you know about Timber Lane when you mentioned that school totally out of context. Now, it can be confirmed that you know that Timber Lane feeds into another high school besides McLean HS because I proved it with my links.

Quote:
You just wanted to make sure that everyone reading the thread knew that not every student at a school with comparatively high ESL/FRR levels fed into Longfellow MS and McLean HS. That says more about your own keen interest in demographic profiling than it does about the accuracy of my posts.
Actually, that's pure conjecture on your part, which is not surprising. I only posted elementary schools in Vienna, McLean, and Falls Church (22043). I didn't say anything about high schools...especially not McLean, since I even listed Vienna elementary schools. Then, from outer space, you bring in Timber Lane and make a reference that it feeds into McLean HS and Longfellow MS. Huh?

Quote:
Timber Lane 41% (51%)*

* Located in 22046, but a feeder to the McLean/FC (22043) middle/high schools.
Do yourself a favor and recheck my original post. There you will see that I even listed Lemon Road and Westgate which all do have a large percentage of kids who are not proficient in English and also have a large percentage that qualify for free or subsidized lunches.

Guess what? The boundaries of these 2 schools also overlap with Longfellow and McLean! Therefore, your weak accusation gets tossed in the dumpster with the other theories.

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/lemonroades.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/westgatees.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarym...ngfellowms.pdf

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/mcleanhs.pdf

Next thing you'll make up is that the boundaries will be redrawn and all kids from Timber Lane will be sent to Longfellow and McLean. Or, you'll start with your "trending" theories again such as Lemon Road and Westgate are trending down in ESL and poor kids. Whatever.

Last edited by live_strong28; 09-08-2009 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-09-2009, 04:58 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
"One can argue whether this is a good thing or not"

Indeed one can, and I certainly would. But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Indeed one can, and I certainly would. But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life.
Not unless you're trying to exploit them, or in politics.

Last edited by live_strong28; 09-09-2009 at 06:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia