U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 AM
 
5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Reputation: 2722

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Actually, I didn't wander off topic. One of the posters here made a reference to McLean and the "lily-white moms there who are afraid of other cultures" of which I just wanted to expand on/defend those "poor" McLean moms.
Let us know when the thank-you notes start to arrive - I think after your insightful observations about how stay-at-home moms in McLean and Vienna spend whatever free time they have, you may have some work to do here to make amends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Next thing you'll make up is that the boundaries will be redrawn and all kids from Timber Lane will be sent to Longfellow and McLean.
McLean is under-capacity and its current boundaries are already bizarre, so I suppose this is possible, now that you bring it up.

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/mcleanhs.pdf

However, if I were trying to devise sensible and reasonably compact boundaries, as FCPS periodically suggests it wants to do, I'd probably include all of Timber Lane in the Falls Church HS pyramid, which includes Pine Spring ES, or perhaps send the Timber Lane kids currently at McLean to Marshall and redistrict some other Marshall or Langley HS kids to McLean. Falls Church, in particular, has substantial extra capacity, and the parents there certainly don't seem to spend as much time as some McLean/Falls Church (22043) parents obsessing about student ethnicities.

Last edited by JD984; 09-09-2009 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:41 AM
 
13 posts, read 23,491 times
Reputation: 18
Another point of comparison, this time with Haycock ES:

School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 08:03 AM
 
2,462 posts, read 8,042,957 times
Reputation: 995
"Not unless you're trying to exploit them, or in politics."

Not true. The professional world is full of smart, successful people who spend their workdays surrounded by other smart, successful people.
Many politicians aren't particularly smart, and by the nature of their work are forced to suffer fools. Different category entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 08:09 AM
 
13 posts, read 23,491 times
Reputation: 18
More Test Scores Comparison

School Pine Spring Haycock ES

Grade 3
Reading 82% 87%
History/Social Science 93% 97%
Science 82% 95%
Math 88% 93%

Grade 4
Reading 95% 99%
Math 90% 97%

Grade 5
Reading 98% 99%
Science 85% 95%
English 93% 100%
Math 92% 82%

Grade 6
Reading 96% 98%
Math 91% 94%

Again, performance is pretty much equal by 5th and 6th grade. What matters in the end, as the 2000 Jay Matthews article I cited notes, is the home environment that is conducive to encouraging learning.

I do not personally believe that my child is harmed, esp. at the Elementary School level, by being with children of differing ethnic and social backgrounds.

If there are other Pine Spring parents out there, I would love for them to contribute their thoughts to the forum.

Indeed one can, and I certainly would. But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life.

"But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life."

I am not sure that you are inferring that poor or "ethnic" - limited intelligence? And again, depending on where you are, I would say that working with others of a variety of abilities makes one more susceptible to success than not. Doctors need to work with nurses and other health professionals, many of whom are more experienced and have better knowledge of day-to-day patient care than the doctors themselves; lawyers, esp. prosecutors, work with police and investigators, psychologists and other specialists whose educational background and training is vastly different from theirs; and military officers rely on their well trained, more experienced NCOs to advise them on the practicalities of a combat or other situation. So, yes, in life you are more likely to work with people of differing backgrounds, training and capabilities than not. If you are a leader (not a manager, which is strikingly different), your job is to figure how to harness and direct these varying capabilities to achieve your goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM
 
2,462 posts, read 8,042,957 times
Reputation: 995
"I am not sure that you are inferring that poor or "ethnic" - limited intelligence?"

Here's my point -- "does not play well with others" or "does not suffer fools" may well spell disaster in certain lines of work, such as the military, politics, elementary school principals, and customer service reps. But it doesn't stop extremely talented people from being successful in other fields, such as attorneys in elite firms, investment bankers, academics, scientific researchers, techno geeks, artists, Supreme Court justices, and transplant surgeons.

All of which is rather beside the point when the question is whether sixth graders who are ready for algebra should be in the same math class as those who are still struggling to master the multiplication tables....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 10:58 AM
 
7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
Reputation: 2588
Let's get back to topic, please. There will be time enough for venting when parent-teacher conference time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 11:34 AM
 
13 posts, read 23,491 times
Reputation: 18
Default Back on Topic

Ok, here is the thing. For me, Pine Spring ES is just fine for my daughter. It may not be fine for others. Indian Mom asked what people thought of PS. To date in this discussion, I think I am the only one who has answered the question directly. Indian Mom, take my opinion (which is only that), compare the test data, come to the school meet the teachers, the principal, etc., talk to other parents and then decide whether this school is right for your child. Making that choice - whether to go there or to another - school is in no way a reflection on you as a person. What id means is that you are making the decision you feel is right for your child.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County
1,534 posts, read 3,315,802 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Let's get back to topic, please. There will be time enough for venting when parent-teacher conference time comes.
Aw, shucks. I wanted to whine about my child's bus being 35 minutes late yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,866,291 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Let us know when the thank-you notes start to arrive - I think after your insightful observations about how stay-at-home moms in McLean and Vienna spend whatever free time they have, you may have some work to do here to make amends! "
You can go off on a tangent all you want, but all that happened was that your post was proved to be irrelevant and your accusation against me was proven to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
McLean is under-capacity and its current boundaries are already bizarre, so I suppose this is possible, now that you bring it up.

http://www.fcps.edu/images/boundarymaps/mcleanhs.pdf

However, if I were trying to devise sensible and reasonably compact boundaries, as FCPS periodically suggests it wants to do, I'd probably include all of Timber Lane in the Falls Church HS pyramid, which includes Pine Spring ES, or perhaps send the Timber Lane kids currently at McLean to Marshall and redistrict some other Marshall or Langley HS kids to McLean. Falls Church, in particular, has substantial extra capacity, and the parents there certainly don't seem to spend as much time as some McLean/Falls Church (22043) parents obsessing about student ethnicities.
Apparently you don't read too much because this blog topic had many entries by others who wrote about student ethnicities.

And you seem to spend a lot of time obsessing over people who make posts addressing these topics by making inaccurate statements and accusations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 PM
 
715 posts, read 1,866,291 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrduck View Post
More Test Scores Comparison

School Pine Spring Haycock ES

Grade 3
Reading 82% 87%
History/Social Science 93% 97%
Science 82% 95%
Math 88% 93%

Grade 4
Reading 95% 99%
Math 90% 97%

Grade 5
Reading 98% 99%
Science 85% 95%
English 93% 100%
Math 92% 82%

Grade 6
Reading 96% 98%
Math 91% 94%

Again, performance is pretty much equal by 5th and 6th grade. What matters in the end, as the 2000 Jay Matthews article I cited notes, is the home environment that is conducive to encouraging learning.

I do not personally believe that my child is harmed, esp. at the Elementary School level, by being with children of differing ethnic and social backgrounds.

If there are other Pine Spring parents out there, I would love for them to contribute their thoughts to the forum.

Indeed one can, and I certainly would. But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life.

"But the point was that learning to work with others of more limited intelligence levels is most demonstrably NOT necessary for success in life."

I am not sure that you are inferring that poor or "ethnic" - limited intelligence? And again, depending on where you are, I would say that working with others of a variety of abilities makes one more susceptible to success than not. Doctors need to work with nurses and other health professionals, many of whom are more experienced and have better knowledge of day-to-day patient care than the doctors themselves; lawyers, esp. prosecutors, work with police and investigators, psychologists and other specialists whose educational background and training is vastly different from theirs; and military officers rely on their well trained, more experienced NCOs to advise them on the practicalities of a combat or other situation. So, yes, in life you are more likely to work with people of differing backgrounds, training and capabilities than not. If you are a leader (not a manager, which is strikingly different), your job is to figure how to harness and direct these varying capabilities to achieve your goals.
Let's not just look at the passing rates. Here's some more granularity.

Check out the percentage of kids that passed advanced vs. passed proficient. There's a sizable difference between Haycock and Pine Spring for 5th (except math) and 6th grade in Haycock's favor.

Haycock 5th

FCPS - School Profiles - Haycock ES - Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL)

Pine Spring 5th

FCPS - School Profiles - Pine Spring ES - Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL)

Haycock 6th

FCPS - School Profiles - Haycock ES - Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL)

Pine Spring 6th

FCPS - School Profiles - Pine Spring ES - Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top