Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM

3 posts, read 10,855 times

Advertisements

Any suggestion how is
Pine Spring Elementary School?

for my first grade daughter?
the greatschools rating is just 6, but I see lot of Indians staying close by this school
Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks
Indian Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:25 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,950,412 times
Have you checked the demographics here?
FCPS - School Profiles - Pine Spring ES - Demographics

It appears that about half the kids are poor and 40% are not proficient in English.

Their test scores are pretty dismal.

Would I place my child in this school? Not a chance.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:27 PM

13 posts, read 26,314 times
My daughter attends Pine Spring ES, and to date I am happy to have her there. We have lived all over the world, and given the school's multi-national make-up she says that she feels "right at home." In case you are wondering whether your child can thrive surrounded by "poor" and minority students, I would say yes - and refer you to Jay Matthews writing in the Washington Post a few years back on "Is Your Local School Good Enough" and point to my daughter's experience. She is in the GT program in reading and language arts, plays the violin in the school orchestra and loves her art classes. She scores in the 95th percentile on the Virginia SOLs (about which I have my doubts) and is excited to be there. This upper middle class white professional guy like the teachers, the principal, the active PTA, etc. and has no problem with his daughter at this school. And yes, among the Asians (25%) who attend the school, I would say a good number of them are South Asian, i.e. from India and Pakistan, with parents just as involved in their kid's education as I am.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrduck View Post
My daughter attends Pine Spring ES, and to date I am happy to have her there. We have lived all over the world, and given the school's multi-national make-up she says that she feels "right at home." In case you are wondering whether your child can thrive surrounded by "poor" and minority students, I would say yes - and refer you to Jay Matthews writing in the Washington Post a few years back on "Is Your Local School Good Enough" and point to my daughter's experience. She is in the GT program in reading and language arts, plays the violin in the school orchestra and loves her art classes. She scores in the 95th percentile on the Virginia SOLs (about which I have my doubts) and is excited to be there. This upper middle class white professional guy like the teachers, the principal, the active PTA, etc. and has no problem with his daughter at this school. And yes, among the Asians (25%) who attend the school, I would say a good number of them are South Asian, i.e. from India and Pakistan, with parents just as involved in their kid's education as I am.
Just had to tell you.. You sound like a great parent! I think its great for kids to be brought up around different cultures and diverse atmospheres! Kudos to you! I know that growing up in schools that werent 100% white (like myself) truly helped me out in the long run and I ended up with friends from many different races and backgrounds, in fact my bestfriend, who I met in middle school is from Brazil..

Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 AM

13 posts, read 26,314 times
Here is the link to the above mentioned Jay Matthews story. Is Your Public School Good Enough?. In researching schools, I think it is best to look at the whole package. Test scores are just one measure of the school, as are its demographic make-up. You need also to visit the school, meet the teachers, the principal, look at the curriculum and extracurricular activities and then decide whether the school is right for your child. As an example, my Aunt has two daughters - the older one attended Catholic schools who whole life, the other public schools in Abington, PA for ES and MS. The reason, as it was explained to me, is that the younger one did not "fit in" in the Catholic schools, but she thrived in the public. Both girls went on to good northeastern colleges and are building successful careers - one in HR and the other in civil engineering. The point is, every student is different. In the end, with the exception of a school that is violent or chaotic, I think a child can thrive anywhere provided they have the requisite parental love and attention. I think this is highlighted by comments made by Ed Burns, co-creator of HBO's "The Wire" series. A former Baltimore homicide detective, Burns became a teacher in the city's deeply troubled public schools after retiring from the police force. He was shocked to see how "how [emotionally]damaged these kids are. . ." and what he was able to offer to kids in a bad situation, who expected bad teachers, etc. as an "adult who's consistent, who's always there, who always comes through with what he said."

There are no where near the problems in Fairfax County as in Baltimore, but I think what he says rings true anywhere.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Quote:

I know two different moms who have multiple kids at Pine Spring. The Families are lily-white. Both moms love the school. In Fact, one Mom had an opportunity to move out of the 'pyramid' to an advertised 'better' school and decided to stay within the district because her daughters are thriving there. But I guess I shouldn't share that info because a bunch of you lily-white-McLean centered moms who are scared of other cultures will be rushing to send your kids to Pine Spring.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,890,586 times
Quote:
...... I think this is highlighted by comments made by Ed Burns, co-creator of HBO's "The Wire" series. A former Baltimore homicide detective, Burns became a teacher in the city's deeply troubled public schools after retiring from the police force. He was shocked to see how "how [emotionally]damaged these kids are. . ." and what he was able to offer to kids in a bad situation, who expected bad teachers, etc. as an "adult who's consistent, who's always there, who always comes through with what he said."

There are no where near the problems in Fairfax County as in Baltimore, but I think what he says rings true anywhere.
Excuse me, but are you seriously using an example from a violent HBO FICTIONAL TV show to illustrate your point? Maybe I need to start watching House for my primary health care diagnosis.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Have you checked the demographics here?
FCPS - School Profiles - Pine Spring ES - Demographics

It appears that about half the kids are poor and 40% are not proficient in English.

Their test scores are pretty dismal.

Would I place my child in this school? Not a chance.
Here's some interesting information about Vienna and McLean showing that some schools have higher percentage of limited English but with lower reduced/free lunch figures.

In Vienna (rounded up):

Wolftrap: 4% limited English (0% reduced/free lunch)
Flint Hill: 7% (3%)
Archer: 12% (5%)
Vienna: 9% (7%)
Westbriar: 16% (4%)
Marshall: 23% (11%)
Stenwood: 21% (10%)
Cunningham Park: 24% (25%)
Freedom Hill: 36% (21%)

In McLean/Falls Church (22043):

Haycock: 7% (4%)
Chesterbrook: 8% (1.5%)
Churchill Road: 9% (0%)
Spring Hill: 13% (2%)
Sherman: 16% (3%)
Kent Gardens: 17% (3%)
Westgate: 24% (25%)
Lemon Road: 36% (26%)
Shrevewood: 37% (22%)

Pine Spring has about 40% limited English, with 46% requiring reduced/free lunch.

Does anyone know how kids in elementary school are segregated as schools have multiple teachers for each grade.

Last edited by live_strong28; 09-07-2009 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,088,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_strong28 View Post
Here's some interesting information about Vienna and McLean showing that some schools have higher percentage of limited English but with lower reduced/free lunch figures.

In Vienna (rounded up):

Wolftrap: 4% limited English (0% reduced/free lunch)
Flint Hill: 7% (3%)
Archer: 12% (5%)
Vienna: 9% (7%)
Westbriar: 16% (4%)
Marshall: 23% (11%)
Stenwood: 21% (10%)
Cunningham Park: 24% (25%)
Freedom Hill: 36% (21%)

In McLean/Falls Church (22043):

Haycock: 7% (4%)
Chesterbrook: 8% (1.5%)
Churchill Road: 9% (0%)
Spring Hill: 13% (2%)
Sherman: 16% (3%)
Kent Gardens: 17% (3%)
Westgate: 24% (25%)
Lemon Road: 36% (26%)
Shrevewood: 37% (22%)

Pine Spring has about 40% limited English, with 46% requiring reduced/free lunch.

Does anyone know how kids in elementary school are segregated as schools have multiple teachers for each grade.
You left out Colvin Run (Vienna) and Timber Lane (McLean/FC).

Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You left out Colvin Run (Vienna) and Timber Lane (McLean/FC).
Timber Lane is 22046.

Colvin Run: 5% (0%)*

* Located in Vienna, but a majority of the kids live in Great Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia