U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 19,454 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have moved from California to Northern Virginia (Fairfax) recently. I have a car registered in California. Now i have to change the registration to Virginia as my registration is going to expire. When i checked with Virginia(Fair fax) DMV office they mentioned that i should provide a residence proof for car registraton in Virginia.

Can i use the new insurance bill or policy document which i have takedn in Virginia as a residence proof and get my car registered. Please provide some pointers. Right now i have only this document which shows the virginia residence address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:43 PM

30,109 posts, read 67,227,047 times
As someone who has just gone through this rather unpleasant experience of dealing with the very busy Sterling DMV, let me give you some advice:

1.) Make sure anything you provide as evidence of residency, citizenship status, etc. is the ORIGINAL DOCUMENT. They will not accept ANY copies. When I first moved down here the only thing I had tying me to the state was a signed copy of my lease agreement from Archstone, and they refused to accept it because it was a copy and sent me home, telling me to bring in the original (which I couldn't do since you can't TAKE the original from your complex!) LOL!

2.) My best bet would be to just wait until you get a pay check (assuming you are employed here) and bring in your pay stub. They WILL accept that. Supposedly it is supposed to show your social security number on it, but due to my Federal position mine was blurred out. They accepted it anyways.

3.) Go to a local service station to get your Virginia state emissions/safety inspections done. I paid around $40 for both of mine, and it took roughly 10 minutes at the Lake Anne Chevron in Reston. They will put a sticker on your windshield next to your former state's stickers until you have your new license plates, after which point you can safely peel off our old stickers.

4.) If you purchased your car within the past year or two, even in another state, you will need to FIRST go to a notary to have them notarize a form that you must present back to the DMV as "evidence" that you paid your sales tax to another state on your vehicle (or else VA will charge it to their state as a finder's fee, which I think is ridiculous, but I digress). I offered to make a copy of my sales receipt from the car dealership I had just purchased my new car from back in PA, but they wouldn't accept it. I now have to find a notary AND a time when I'm not working to head to the DMV.

5.) Ignore the 30-day panic/hysteria. I think the police here realize how confusing and awful it is to move here from a different state and are somewhat lenient. For me it's irritating that the DMV is only open when most people are at work, meaning that most people flood the place on Saturdays and wait in line for an hour! Why Virginia's DMV centers don't have more reasonable hours are beyond my realm of comprehension. If you work a 9-5 in DC and live in VA, then how are you supposed to get to the DMV when they close at 5 PM?

6.) Go with patience in mind. Half the people in line in front of me each time I went could barely speak English and didn't know what a social security number was. Thanks to the DMV not having a Spanish/English bilingual associate on-duty this caused the line to snake far outside the building each time I've been there (not to mention having only ONE person man the desk is a terrible idea!). Also keep your documentation hidden from wandering eyes. While in line once I noticed that the guy behind me kept peering over my shoulder trying to read my forms while texting. I think he snatched my social security number because now I have to bicker with the bank over charges to my checking account I didn't make!

7.) Ignore the "middle of the week; middle of the day; middle of the month" rule of thumb. I went once on what I believe was Thursday, June 18, 2009, and the place was PACKED! There's really no rhyme or reason I guess to finding the DMV at a "slow" time.

8.) If you go to the Sterling DMV their parking lot fills up quickly. You may have to circle the lot and "stalk" people as they leave the building to go to their cars (as I did) or you can go to the shopping center up the hill and park there and walk down (I think).

9.) Do NOT smile for your driver's license picture. The new thing in VA is that you need to look miserable for security reasons. The license itself is also very ugly with this weird hologram in the lower right. I'm still retaining my now invalid PA license as a reminder of how I used to look GOOD in my picture!

10.) GOOD LUCK and GODSPEED!!! I've been there three times already and still have to go back a fourth time next week to FINALLY get my plates! I'm one very, very unhappy "customer."

Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM

573 posts, read 2,282,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
9.) Do NOT smile for your driver's license picture. The new thing in VA is that you need to look miserable for security reasons. The license itself is also very ugly with this weird hologram in the lower right. I'm still retaining my now invalid PA license as a reminder of how I used to look GOOD in my picture!
Mine legit looks like a mugshot. As a teacher it's kinda a problem that I look like a serial killer on my official government-issued ID lol.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:13 AM

19 posts, read 71,609 times
I just moved from michigan and went through the whole nightmare ordeal. I was sent away from the DMV the first time because I didn't have my passport. That's right, they said I needed a passport to go from Michigan to Virginia. Here's my tips from my experience:
1) have a signed original legal lease and/or a utility bill sent to that address within the last 30 days
2) Take a passport if you have one
3) Have your safety and emission inspection documents
4) Have proof of insurance
And these are really important
5) Bring your title for the vehicle
6) Bring sale document that proves sales tax was paid on it
7) Bring proof that the vehicle has been paid off if applicable.
8) Wear good shoes because the line doesn't move. When your number is called, celebrate like you won the lottery!

Use the VA DMV website to thoroughly know the process and the documents required. There is a list there that shows acceptable proof of residency.

Best of luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:34 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,637,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
5.) Ignore the 30-day panic/hysteria. I think the police here realize how confusing and awful it is to move here from a different state and are somewhat lenient. For me it's irritating that the DMV is only open when most people are at work, meaning that most people flood the place on Saturdays and wait in line for an hour! Why Virginia's DMV centers don't have more reasonable hours are beyond my realm of comprehension. If you work a 9-5 in DC and live in VA, then how are you supposed to get to the DMV when they close at 5 PM?
The DMV does NOT want you to come in person if you need something they can provide online. They even charge you an extra $5 now for getting your registration decals in person. Once you get past the crazy stuff you have to do once you move here, most people don't have to go to the DMV again for a long time. Drivers licenses are good for eight years, and (except for certain particular cases) you can renew online (or by phone or mail) every other renewal cycle. Unfortunately, that means that the people who are at the DMV in person usually have complicated situations and require more time than a simple transaction would take. Almost everything but licenses you can do at a DMV Select (I haven't been to one, but it sounds like it might be faster than the regular DMV).

And BTW - the DMV at Fair Oaks Mall is open until 6:30.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 AM

19 posts, read 71,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
The DMV does NOT want you to come in person if you need something they can provide online.
Very true. If you are moving from out of state, you have to go in to get your title transferred in person. The $5 charge does not apply in that case. Also, the DMV wait times at each location are listed online. Of course they are completely accurate until the second right before you walk in the door and then you must at 30-45 minutes!!

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM

696 posts, read 1,496,447 times
We just moved here from Washington State. I'm so excited to wait in line to register two cars! Yippee for us with two young kids in tow! Thanks so much for the pointers! I'm sending this info to hubby to make sure we have all our ducks in a row before our adventure to the DMV....maybe the Fair Oaks one since it's very close!

Old 07-11-2009, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 19,454 times
Thanks guys for your inputs.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM

30,109 posts, read 67,227,047 times
Thanks for letting me know that the Fair Oaks DMV is open until 6:30 PM! That's a HUGE help! Now I can go to the notary after work Monday and go to that DMV after work Tuesday! All said and told that "30 day" time restriction will have ended up being six weeks, but such is life.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:16 AM

246 posts, read 1,213,033 times
Default Car Registration from CA to VA

Just reading some posts here and actually have a related question. I heard that VA will take emissions test from oterh states such as CA, CO, etc. if it was done within the last 12 months. I am about to have my done in CA and will move to VA in months. However, CA no longer prints out emission certificates. The results go directly to CA DMV via online system. My question is: do I have to get a copy to show that emission was done in CA within 12 months or can the VA DMV tell by putting my car VIN number and getting that information somehow?

Thanks for the help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia