U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,830,715 times

Advertisements

Several new state laws went into effect July 1. A few seem controversial to me. Any opinions on these?

1. Texting while driving is now illegal. However, it's a "secondary offense" meaning you can only be stopped for another offense, and then if the officer claims he also observed you texting while driving a fine is tacked onto the ticket.

This one seems well intentioned, but troublesome. How does the officer prove you were texting?

2. Students who accumulate 10 unexcused absences from school can have their drivers license taken from them.

3. Penalties are more severe is you are convicted of drunk driving two or more times in ten years. Includes mandatory VASP counseling and an onboard breathalyzer installed in the vehicle (it keeps the car from starting if alcohol is on your breath). Also substantially higher fines.

4. Smoking ban in all restaurants starting 12-1. Smoking will only be allowed in a separate room with its own entrance and separate ventilation system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 AM

573 posts, read 2,285,923 times
The unexcused absences law is weird to me. I can see their line of thinking but what about those students who only can get to school by driving themselves? Now they've made it even harder to get to school so why would they go?

I like the restaurant smoking ban. Does it apply to bars too, out of my own curiosity? (In Denver a few years ago there was a huge uproar when they tried to ban smoking in restaurants and bars)

Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,090,746 times
I am not saying I disagree with any of these, but what I am annoyed by is all the laws. Like I said in another thread, for every new law enacted, 10 laws should be repealed. We are legislating ourselves to death!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM

738 posts, read 3,567,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs1357 View Post
The unexcused absences law is weird to me. I can see their line of thinking but what about those students who only can get to school by driving themselves? Now they've made it even harder to get to school so why would they go?

I like the restaurant smoking ban. Does it apply to bars too, out of my own curiosity? (In Denver a few years ago there was a huge uproar when they tried to ban smoking in restaurants and bars)

Why can't they just ride the school bus? Too uncool for them? lol

And there aren't any bars in Virginia

Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
I don't text at all, but they singled that out as being illegal while driving? What about applying makeup, dialing the phone (diff. from texing, but basically the same), ating, writing a note, any number of things. Isn't there one law that covers everything such as one about being distracted in general?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,920,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't text at all, but they singled that out as being illegal while driving? What about applying makeup, dialing the phone (diff. from texing, but basically the same), ating, writing a note, any number of things. Isn't there one law that covers everything such as one about being distracted in general?
LOL, I get what you're saying, but how would you write a law like that. "It's illegal to be distracted while you drive"?

I don't see how you could tell. If a cop pulls you over for something else, you could easily hide it. My bet is they'll never actually hand out one of these fines, it's all for show.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:31 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,082,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Several new state laws went into effect July 1. A few seem controversial to me. Any opinions on these?

1. Texting while driving is now illegal. However, it's a "secondary offense" meaning you can only be stopped for another offense, and then if the officer claims he also observed you texting while driving a fine is tacked onto the ticket.

This one seems well intentioned, but troublesome. How does the officer prove you were texting?

2. Students who accumulate 10 unexcused absences from school can have their drivers license taken from them.

3. Penalties are more severe is you are convicted of drunk driving two or more times in ten years. Includes mandatory VASP counseling and an onboard breathalyzer installed in the vehicle (it keeps the car from starting if alcohol is on your breath). Also substantially higher fines.

4. Smoking ban in all restaurants starting 12-1. Smoking will only be allowed in a separate room with its own entrance and separate ventilation system.
Oh boy number 1 is going to get me in trouble. Now I wonder about just reading a text while driving. I know I know shouldn't be texting but hey I'm at least honest but lawbreaking right? Good to know though.

Yeah I think GA has something like number 3. A friend got his second DUI (in a year at that) and will have to have that installed if he ever hopes to drive although I think he just drives anyways hoping not to get caught. For other reasons this friend is an ex-friend so I don't know.

Georgia also passed number 4 a couple years ago. Keep up VA! (joke) Yeah I think that's great and it's a nice compromise. I hate going somewhere and my clothes smell like smoke. So no smoking in restaurants is nice. Now what some places in GA have done is turn restaurants into 18 and older places after certain hours and then people light up all they want. Usually these are places that aren't family restaurants anyways so it's not like they're turning away half their customers.

I'm not a big law person I think there should be as few laws as possible. If I didn't stab someone what do you care. But I will say that those are good laws.

I think responsibility for getting the kids to school should fall on the parents too. I mean growing up skipping school was out of the question. The school would call the parents at work if you were not in school. They've been doing that since the 70s. Of course I suppose the kid could just give a fake phone number.

Last edited by terrence81; 07-10-2009 at 05:08 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 PM

30,221 posts, read 67,365,623 times
I, too, am guilty of texting while driving (ducks head, runs to corner, crawls into fetal position, pees pants!)

Old 07-10-2009, 06:29 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,898,686 times
Please, somebody explain the deal with texting....I don't understand it (too old, maybe?).

How is it better than calling somebody, and if they aren't there, just leaving a message?

A buddy told me it's for when you can't talk...like you're at the opera or something.

Hey, when I pay $250+ for seats at the opera....I'm going to watch the **** opera!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:11 PM

786 posts, read 925,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post

I think texting while driving should be illegal and shouldn't be a secondary offense. I don't think your text message is more important than my safety.

Number 2 seems like too much of a nanny state law for me.

I generally don't like stricter penalties for anything, so I'd have to say no to the first part of number 3; however, I like the part about the breathalyzer in the car.

Number 4, yeah what the hell. I know this seems to contradict my statement about suspending drivers licenses for more than 10 unexcused absences, but second hand smoke does cause cancer. If you want to give yourself cancer, you have every right to; I draw the line when it affects others. I used to smoke cigarettes, so I know what a pain in the ass it is to have to go outside; I'm still for it though. I'm from California too so I'm used to this kind of stuff anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia