U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times

Advertisements

This was in another thread, I thought it deserved a thread of its own.

Some of you are moving from towns where people keep garage doors open. Here in NOVA that's not a good idea.

There are a number of reasons. For one thing, open garage doors encourage petty crime. But a bigger reason, IMO, is that there are a lot of critters living in your neighborhood. Especially this year. If you haven't heard this spring we had an explosion in the fox and raccoon populations.

They like to wander into in garages, especially during a hot afternoon. Then they can get panicky if the door gets closed on them--or if they get caught in something. All sorts of ways a wild animal can get hurt in a garage.

Yesterday a bank robber tried to elude the police by running into an open garage and holding the couple that lived there hostage. That was a scary moment, indeed, but you're more likely to get a fox in your garage than a bank robber--and that's also scary. IMO a frightened fox that feels trapped is more likely to hurt you than a bank robber.

My mama used to say there are three important things to learn in life: Close your mouth, zip your fly and shut your garage door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM

2,728 posts, read 7,350,765 times
They're also breaking into Police cars unmarked/marked and stealing bullet proof vests, guns, equipment, radios of any sorts of things they can get their hands on.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 PM

169 posts, read 389,882 times
I think I've been under a rock for the last week or so; I didn't hear about these issues but thank you so much for sharing! My husband and I have a habit of leaving our garage doors up while we're out watering the lawn and shrubbery; last night when we were done we sat outside for a while just to enjoy the beautiful evening...the garage doors were up and we do live near lots of critters as we often see them in our back yard.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM

30,107 posts, read 67,215,654 times
Unfortunately you can't fix stupid. A couple of weeks ago we had a police chopper hovering over my complex in a supposedly "good" part of Reston, and I later learned via a timely notice that had been stuffed in my door jamb that there had been a rash of vehicle break-ins in our neighborhood. Nevertheless I still see neighbors coming home from work after me, getting out of their cars, going into their apartments, and NOT locking their doors/activating their car alarms. Why? After I was robbed back in high school in PA I felt violated and learned to ALWAYS be suspicious. I keep my windows, doors, and everything else locked at all times and keep my car alarm activated at all times as well.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:16 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,866,757 times
Not to worry, Bandit the Raccoon, has passed on....Bandit The Raccoon (1994 - 2004) - Find A Grave Memorial

This guy would eat ALL the junk food in your garage!

RIP, Bandit

Old 07-11-2009, 10:58 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,120,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Unfortunately you can't fix stupid. A couple of weeks ago we had a police chopper hovering over my complex in a supposedly "good" part of Reston, and I later learned via a timely notice that had been stuffed in my door jamb that there had been a rash of vehicle break-ins in our neighborhood. Nevertheless I still see neighbors coming home from work after me, getting out of their cars, going into their apartments, and NOT locking their doors/activating their car alarms. Why? After I was robbed back in high school in PA I felt violated and learned to ALWAYS be suspicious. I keep my windows, doors, and everything else locked at all times and keep my car alarm activated at all times as well.
Sorry Scranny, but Lake Anne is NOT the ''good part'' of Reston. The good part is the north end.
I guess you've already learned that, via the flyer and the break ins.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:16 PM

30,107 posts, read 67,215,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Sorry Scranny, but Lake Anne is NOT the ''good part'' of Reston. The good part is the north end.
I was always told that 20190 was a good part of Reston when moving here. Obviously I know I'm not in the "hot" area though. Lake Anne is a dump, but I thought my immediate neighborhood would have been better since it is spitting distance to the town center. I suppose I was wrong.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:30 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,063,500 times
I don't have a garage so doesn't really matter but I will say that I have seen a lot of little foxes when I drive late at night lately. I think they're cute. I saw this raccoon one time when I was parking my car in DC. I just watched him for 20 minutes just rummaging through the garbage cans going about his business. I think it's nice we live in an area that still has a little bit of nature.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
It's not?????? Wow, you must have some really high standards of what makes something a "good" part of town!

Granted, there are more McMansions in the northernmost part of Reston. But that doesn't make Lake Anne a "bad" neighborhood! The Lake Anne area is very nice, IMO. Nice parts of town sometimes have car burglaries, especially the wealthy neighborhoods that are also somewhat urban (like Reston is). Beverly Hills has car burglaries, as do River Oaks, Coral Gables, etc... in other words tony neighborhoods all over America.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,752,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't have a garage so doesn't really matter but I will say that I have seen a lot of little foxes when I drive late at night lately. I think they're cute. I saw this raccoon one time when I was parking my car in DC. I just watched him for 20 minutes just rummaging through the garbage cans going about his business. I think it's nice we live in an area that still has a little bit of nature.
A few weeks ago I saw a fox in Nottoway Park, in the middle of the day. I was walking on one of the paths on the side closer to the Vienna Metro. It just crossed the path about 4 feet in front of me, like it was no big deal.

It was a little disconcerting, to be honest, I prefer foxes from a distance. But it was also a little neat, too, I don't think I'd ever seen one so close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia