U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,403,779 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know we're still in the middle of summer, but I want to make sure I ask this before another fall season passes us by (plus, I hate hot weather and am already dreaming of jumping in piles of leaves on smoky-scented NoVA afternoons) -

Where is the best place to get unpasteurized apple cider around here? (Preferably near Alexandria, but if, say, there's a place with famous unpasteurized cider out in western Fairfax Co. or such, I'd love to hear about it, too.)

(And if you tell me it's dangerous to drink, I will just laugh and not reply to your post. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM

628 posts, read 1,724,441 times
Try farmers markets or go to orchards in outlying suburbs. BTW, you better not burn your leaves around here!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
Try farmers markets or go to orchards in outlying suburbs. BTW, you better not burn your leaves around here!
Hee hee.. no, I don't even have any to burn. I just like the subtle smoky scent that the air frequently takes on in the fall. Not like burning leaves, exactly (I actually know that smell and do not like it!), unless perhaps what I'm smelling is a really dilute concentration of some ghosts of burning leaves (or such) in the atmosphere...

Ok, now I'm tempted to go revive normie's ghost stories thread.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,122,374 times
Out here in western Loudoun we can burn anything we want!

Winchester is the apple capital, so it must have good cider.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Yeah, a lot of what I'm reading elsewhere (on the Don Rockwell forum and Chowhound, for instance) is indicating that unpasteurized cider can be pretty difficult to get in NoVA unless you go to an actual orchard, which may involve some arm-twisting since I don't drive. I've been meaning to visit Winchester, anyway, though, so this will be a good excuse.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:22 PM

427 posts, read 973,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
Yeah, a lot of what I'm reading elsewhere (on the Don Rockwell forum and Chowhound, for instance) is indicating that unpasteurized cider can be pretty difficult to get in NoVA unless you go to an actual orchard, which may involve some arm-twisting since I don't drive. I've been meaning to visit Winchester, anyway, though, so this will be a good excuse.
Sounds like this fall will be the perfect time to explore Zipcars!

We used to go out to Lee's Orchard in Washington, VA, when I was in high school. As I remember, the apple orchard is h-u-g-e, and I distinctly remember big old cider presses in operation there in the fall. I don't know if they pasteurize the cider before they sell it -- it would be worth a call ahead to make sure. Mmmmm, those were good apples. So much better than those flavorless apple-shaped things they sell at the supermarket!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
If you drive out toward Shenandoah National Park on Rt. 50 you'll drive by several fruit/vegetable/pumpkin stands. There's a big one right before you get to the park that (as I recall) has organic foods. I'd try there. Even if you don't find what you're looking for, the drive to get there is beautiful.

Also, Walker Mill (Rt. 7 and Old Walker Road in Great Falls area) has apple pressing festivals in the fall.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:26 PM

5,331 posts, read 6,126,972 times
The Old Town Alexandria and Del Ray farmers markets have cider in the fall, but I don't know if it's unpasteurized.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM

Excellent!! I have my NoVA apple tour all planned out for the fall - yum!

Now I'll just have trouble waiting until then... *sigh*

I didn't see unpasteurized cider at the Old Town or Del Ray farmers' markets, but I'll certainly be going again this fall , so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times
I also have been to Lee's Orchard in Washnigton, VA. It is a beautiful place to be out and about in during the fall. And they have unpasturized cider. Well, it's flash pasturized but it still leaves the pulp and all the good stuff. Just kills the bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia