Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,967,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I always say National or simply DCA. Sometimes, just to be obnoxious and because it is named for TWO presidents, I call it George Washington Ronald Reagan National Airport.
LOL LOL LOL

I once read a story about a local newscaster who is required to say the full legal name at work and how it felt weird because she was used to saying National in her private life. I think we should follow Kembek's lead and legally change the name to George Washington Ronald Reagan National Airport and REALLY give those newscasters a mouthful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:09 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,465,267 times
who knows, maybe someday the name will stick, after all, everybody knows Kennedy airport in New York is one of the greeatest airports in the country named after one of the greatest Presidents in history, and virtually nobody remembers when it was Idlewild airport before that

Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM

223 posts, read 1,169,338 times
Over the years I've heard more and more people refer to it as "Reagan National" although a substantial number of folks continue to call it "National." My bet is that the airport will someday be most commonly referred to as "Reagan National." I think there's too much history behind the word "National" for it to be dropped.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,133,994 times
Seems unfair that Washington got an airport but all Jefferson got were an airplane and a starship.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,382,244 times
National, it is. Or DCA if I would have said IAD. The totally inappropraite addition to the official name was the hasty work of some phony-mythology and faux-legacy builders intent upon putting a certain stamp on as many things in as many places as quickly as they could. We've already got the Dutch/Gipper Building downtown. That really ought to be enough.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:14 PM

49 posts, read 83,469 times
I almost always say DCA. I do think I've said Reagan National a couple of times though to those not familiar with DCA.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:36 PM

946 posts, read 1,393,381 times
So, should we change the name of BWI Marshall Airport back to just BWI? Just asking -- after all, we do want to be consistent, don't we?

Funny thing is verr few name changes stick, Kennedy Airport being an exception. Up in the Big Apple, no New Yorker ever refers to Sixth Avenue as "Avenue of the Americas" even a half-century after the new name was instituted. Same for the much more recent renaming of the Triborough bridge the Riobert F. Kennedy Bridge.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,967,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
So, should we change the name of BWI Marshall Airport back to just BWI? Just asking -- after all, we do want to be consistent, don't we?
Works for me. BWI is what I've always called it, and I see no reason to change.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM

518 posts, read 920,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
I never stopped calling it BWI. I believe that the full name is Baltimore Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. It always confused me as to what exactly is an International Thurgood Marshall. Anyway the official website for that airport refers to itself as BWI.

Back on topic, I am picking up my friend at National Airport, then taking him to see a game at Jack Kent Cooke Stadium, followed by a show at Nissan Pavilion. Then we just might run by Beacon Mall or Hybla Valley Shopping Center to grab a bite to eat.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,209,067 times
With most of my left leaning friends and associates saying "Raegen" will start too much controversy. So I too have just dropped the Raegen and say National or better yet DCA that's the airport initials and its totally non-controversial no matter one's political affiliation.

I alway say BWI and just call Dulles well...Dulles. But I've never been there before the pictures of the building look pretty though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia