Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:46 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
This still isn't as bad as the people in Chicago whining because they don't want to start calling the Sears Tower the "Willis Tower," recently renamed after the British firm that now occupies a good chunk of the building. People back in Metro Scranton, PA still call the Sno Mountain Ski Resort "Montage Mountain" even though it has been renamed for years now. Ditto calling PNC Field (home of the Scranton Yankees) "Lackawanna County Multi-Purpose Stadium" (what a mouthful that old name used to be!) People need to get with the times already! Nothing is static; things change!
The RR name was forced on to the locals. It would be far better to let them decide who they want to honor. What's wrong with honoring George Washington, who happened to be a local, and the "Father of our country"? That airport should stay Washington National. They should have named Dulles after Reagan instead, although I think if any airport should be named for him, it should be in California, not here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 PM

248 posts, read 719,146 times
I used to call it Regan.. until an old lady in the airport told.. "we dont have to call it Regan.. its called National and thats what is more appropriate.. " so after that.. just to be fair.. I called it DCA or National..

Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,193,523 times
NATIONAL!

And yes, I'm shouting because this is a sore point with me. I lived in Arlington at the time of the name change, Arlington didn't want to change the name, it was already named after a president, it required funds to change the signs and all other references, and most of all, naming an airport after the man who fired the striking air traffic controllers was offensive, in my view.

I have never called it Reagan.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 PM

608 posts, read 1,702,657 times
I call it National. Occasionally, I slip and call it "Reagan National".

This trend of renaming airports after [recent] political figures should be put to an end. It's just part of silly ideological battles waged by policymakers all over the country these days. It's a waste of time and money and is more alienating than anything else.

I wish they'd rename it back to National. I wish JFK were renamed Idlewild. I wish all the other political renamings would be reversed and stopped completely.

I don't have a problem with "Washington National" because (a) the airport services the Washington metro area and (b) I don't think George Washington is a contentious figure two hundred plus years removed from his Presidency.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,630 times
I've always, and still do, call it National.

And I wish I could still call my old 7-Eleven store High's. High's was the best and I miss their Slush Puppies. Also People's Drugstore before CVS bought them out. Memories...

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,579,031 times
I call it National Airport. I grew up hearing my local relatives refer to it as such and I guess the name stuck with me when I moved up here. I'm also not quite sure why ANY airport would be named after Ronald Reagan considering his treatment of air traffic controllers.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM

230 posts, read 755,066 times
To me it will always be NATIONAL Airport! If you've lived in the area for a long time it's just hard to think of it as being anything else!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:55 PM

518 posts, read 1,445,412 times
It's officially "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport." So there's nothing wrong with just calling it "National" colloquially.

I wonder how many people still say "Peoples" for CVS. "Drug Fair" for Rite Aid. "Hechts" for Macys. (Anyone know if the old Washington Plate credit cards work at Macy's?) Or still refer to Clarendon Blvd as "Fairfax Dr." Or say "Parkington" instead of Ballston.

Some names don't catch on, however: Despite the new "Eisenhower Freeway" signs, traffic reports still say Southwest/Southeast Freeway.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
It's officially "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport." So there's nothing wrong with just calling it "National" colloquially.

I wonder how many people still say "Peoples" for CVS. "Drug Fair" for Rite Aid. "Hechts" for Macys. (Anyone know if the old Washington Plate credit cards work at Macy's?) Or still refer to Clarendon Blvd as "Fairfax Dr." Or say "Parkington" instead of Ballston.

Some names don't catch on, however: Despite the new "Eisenhower Freeway" signs, traffic reports still say Southwest/Southeast Freeway.
Since when did New Amsterdam become Manhattan?!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,498,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Since when did New Amsterdam become Manhattan?!
New Amsterdam became "New York" in 1664.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia